Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had the flu vaccine on October 9th, 2015. I am required to take the flu shot because I am a nurse. I have taken the flu vaccine for many years. I am a very healthy person and have only had a few mild illnesses in my life. Three or four days after receiving the vaccine, I became sick with fever, and had severe cold intolerance, body pain, sore throat, swollen neck glands and extreme fatigue. I was given a Z-Pak. None of the symptoms were relieved. I struggled to work with being out multiple times. On November the 9th I was signed out on FMLA (family medical leave) by my medical provider. I have seen 5 doctors. Only one of them thinks it could be flu shot related. During all the multiple blood tests that included Lyme's, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, rheumatoid studies, low iodine was found as well as high levels of alpha-gal and a reactive Epstein Barr. Today is December 26, 2.5 months later, and I wake up this morning with all the same symptoms. I am having extreme cold intolerance and body pain and fatigue. I am convinced that the flu shot triggered this illness. I have not had one day without these symptoms since getting the flu vaccine. I feel desperate to recover and get on with my life.

Comment from: trailrunner, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

I am a physical therapist assistant that recently began working in a SNF (skilled nursing facility) after years in an outpatient clinic. At 48 years old I had my first flu shot because it was required, or I'd have to wear a mask. I have been sicker than I have ever been in my life with fever, chills, headache, cough, swollen tonsils, etc. I am on my 8th day and will see my doctor in two days. I will never have a flu shot again. Needless to say, I quit the SNF and will begin working back in outpatient where they don't force us to have shots that are detrimental to people's health.

Comment from: CathyB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

In September 2015 we were on a cruise. The weather was very rough the first couple of days, and I have never suffered with motion sickness until then, so I used wrist bands. I had a fall and badly bruised my kidneys (unsure if a connection). I saw a general physician (GP) at home, who was not very helpful. About a week after we returned I started to feel dizzy and lost my balance several times. Then I had a bad fall, hitting my neck and chin, and down my right side on the back of the sofa, and I had blacked out. This GP said I needed to see a neurologist, after performing many tests including blood tests, (waiting list 3 months). I am seeing a nurse practitioner finally, and I was told I had labyrinthitis (it is doing the rounds at the moment), and given medication. This gave me calf pains and symptoms of a blood clot. I am now waiting to see if there is one (I have past history also of clots). I suffered 2 bouts of labyrinthitis in the past, but never actually falling; just lurching, or losing consciousness. I wonder if there is a stress related connection, as in all three bouts, there has been extreme stress.

Comment from: bobsmith, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I had the extra strength flu shot (Medicare wouldn't pay for the normal strength shot for me). That night I ended up in the emergency room with uncontrollable shaking and fever. I recovered, but I will probably refuse any future flu shots.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I received the flu shot along with pneumonia shot yesterday. My arm and neck are aching, I feel lethargic and very cold. I feel like I am getting sick. I had some sinus pain and ear pain along with it. Yikes, this is awful.

Comment from: Chatty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 14

My husband and I had the flu jab on the 12th of November. It took just over 2 weeks before any symptoms appeared for the both of us, and I was worse than him. I started to shiver and had to go to bed for 24 hours. Then 3 days later my arm started to get slightly painful. This got worse the next day, and by day 3 I could hardly lift my elbow off the side of my body, it was very painful. I am hoping this does not last much longer. My husband had the same symptoms but much milder and is back to normal.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.