Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Shopaholic1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had the flu jab last year and afterwards felt generally unwell but the worst thing was the cough. This went on for nearly three months, and upon going to see the doctor, he reluctantly gave me antibiotics but only because it had gone on so long. It cleared up after that. Upon going to my six monthly diabetic checkup this month, the nurse assumed I was there for my flu jab as well. When I said I was a bit reluctant to have it because of this she said it was just coincidence and would not have been the flu jab. I gave in and had it but I am now dreading feeling like I did last year. The medical professionals seem to brush this aside but I am convinced a large number of people get worrying side effects and are not taken seriously.

Comment from: nike, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 29

Ten days after my flu jab (after extreme tiredness from day 1) I had swollen glands all over, severe stiff neck and shoulders, headache, absolute exhaustion, muscle twitching, rash, aches and pains in muscles and joints; even my hair hurt! I am normally very fit. Never again will I have the jab. I felt similar last year but not as extreme.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I've gotten the flu shot every year for the last 9 years. I started getting them when I was looking after my elderly mother and was told I had to get it. I started getting migraines and vertigo the March after getting my first flu shot. I don't know for sure if they are connected but I got my flu shot last Wednesday and the next morning I woke up with severe vertigo, total exhaustion and zero appetite. The vertigo only lasted a day but I've been in bed still with no appetite. I went to the emergency room last night and was told it could have something to do with the shot but won't say for sure. I was told just to rest and ride it out. I've lost 9 pounds so far. They need to admit these flu shots are causing a lot of problems. Who knows what other problems are being caused in the long run. I'm really wondering if my vertigo and migraines first began because of the shot.

Comment from: gluechemist, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I had the flu shot yesterday (24 October 2015) along with my wife. Both of us experienced (and continue to) the expected arm pain, like being punched in the arm. However, I experienced severe headache, nausea, heartburn and a period of really feeling run down and tired. Granted, I did a lot of yard work yesterday after the shot, but this was not like simple muscle ache and the effects of a good workout; I felt terrible. I have gotten better as the evening goes on, but this one hit me hard.

Comment from: Pain ridden, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I am 71, very fit senior, and never had leg or walking problems. After flu shot my arm is sore and I woke up limping a few days later. Three weeks later still I am still limping, and it hurts much. I am taking anti-inflammatory medicines. Two years ago after the flu shot I got shingles. I am never getting this shot again.

Comment from: DeAnn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I got the flu jab on October 17. I had an allergic reaction. I have red and purple hives. I went to urgent care. Medicines did not help. Today I went to the emergency room. I still have these things. This has never happened before. Now I have another bill. I am feeling angry.

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I got the flu shot about 2 weeks ago. A week later I went to doctor for 6 months check. I was perfectly healthy. Everything was normal. The next day, I got very sick, sore throat, coughing, fever, fatigue, wheezing and incontinence. I was in bed for 4 days. Then I went to the doctor and diagnosed with acute bronchitis. I hardly ever get sick, little cold or bronchitis once in a while. Otherwise very healthy. Always got flu shot and never had a problem. So I wonder if it was the flu shot that made me so sick. I believe so.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.