Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: trailrunner, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

I am a physical therapist assistant that recently began working in a SNF (skilled nursing facility) after years in an outpatient clinic. At 48 years old I had my first flu shot because it was required, or I'd have to wear a mask. I have been sicker than I have ever been in my life with fever, chills, headache, cough, swollen tonsils, etc. I am on my 8th day and will see my doctor in two days. I will never have a flu shot again. Needless to say, I quit the SNF and will begin working back in outpatient where they don't force us to have shots that are detrimental to people's health.

Comment from: CathyB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

In September 2015 we were on a cruise. The weather was very rough the first couple of days, and I have never suffered with motion sickness until then, so I used wrist bands. I had a fall and badly bruised my kidneys (unsure if a connection). I saw a general physician (GP) at home, who was not very helpful. About a week after we returned I started to feel dizzy and lost my balance several times. Then I had a bad fall, hitting my neck and chin, and down my right side on the back of the sofa, and I had blacked out. This GP said I needed to see a neurologist, after performing many tests including blood tests, (waiting list 3 months). I am seeing a nurse practitioner finally, and I was told I had labyrinthitis (it is doing the rounds at the moment), and given medication. This gave me calf pains and symptoms of a blood clot. I am now waiting to see if there is one (I have past history also of clots). I suffered 2 bouts of labyrinthitis in the past, but never actually falling; just lurching, or losing consciousness. I wonder if there is a stress related connection, as in all three bouts, there has been extreme stress.

Comment from: bobsmith, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I had the extra strength flu shot (Medicare wouldn't pay for the normal strength shot for me). That night I ended up in the emergency room with uncontrollable shaking and fever. I recovered, but I will probably refuse any future flu shots.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I received the flu shot along with pneumonia shot yesterday. My arm and neck are aching, I feel lethargic and very cold. I feel like I am getting sick. I had some sinus pain and ear pain along with it. Yikes, this is awful.

Comment from: Chatty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 14

My husband and I had the flu jab on the 12th of November. It took just over 2 weeks before any symptoms appeared for the both of us, and I was worse than him. I started to shiver and had to go to bed for 24 hours. Then 3 days later my arm started to get slightly painful. This got worse the next day, and by day 3 I could hardly lift my elbow off the side of my body, it was very painful. I am hoping this does not last much longer. My husband had the same symptoms but much milder and is back to normal.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I got my annual flu shot two months ago. The moment I got it a weird sensation went through me like an electric shock. I had a large bump at the injection site for a while and now it's a scabby, itchy little rash. My arm is still sore at the site. I never had a problem before.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I got the flu shot on Monday, November 2. By Friday, I was getting really sick. Too sick to move and go to the hospital. By Monday, it was full-blown pneumonia (I had a pneumonia shot six months ago). The doctor gave me Advair, Z-Pak, and more. My lungs cleared some but my sinuses and throat are raw. I keep getting bouts of fever. Body hurts badly. And I'm so weak, I just want to sleep. That was a month ago. If I ever feel normal again, it will be a miracle. I've had flu shots before but never got sick. And I've had the flu before but never felt this awful. I know it is a bad reaction to that stinking shot. My doctor said a lot of her patients are going through this this year.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.