Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

A Doctor's View on Flu Shot Side Effects

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Some people believe that they can get the flu from receiving the flu shot, but this is not the case. For most people, the risks of contracting the flu are far greater than any risks associated with the vaccine. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Acers, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

Five hours after flu shot my head stuffed up, I began coughing, had temperature of 101, and couldn't get warm. I slept rest of the day and night, feel headachy this morning. I almost always get cold symptoms after shot. This has been the worst!

Comment from: MB, 45-54 Male Published: October 07

I'm a 53-year-old woman. I went to the emergency doctor on Saturday because I thought I had a urinary tract infection (UTI); pain on urination, urgency. She said there was no bacteria in the urine, but that there was blood in it, and that I should follow up with my doctor. Sunday I felt fine, but Monday morning about 4:45 after I got up for work I was in agony. I had severe stomach pain in my lower abdomen on the side where I thought the UTI was. I called in sick to work and started trying to find someone to drive me to the emergency room. After maybe 45 minutes to an hour, though, the pain abated. I went to the doctor's when it opened, and they said I had likely passed a kidney stone, and that I should catch the stone in my urine if I could, and see a urologist. Tuesday morning I had the same agonizing pain; lying on my side, moaning, sweating. This lasted again for about an hour. Then it went away. Wednesday I woke up with no pain, and lo and behold, there was the kidney stone. It was only about the size of a grain of rice; I can't believe something so small could cause so much pain. Anyway, I wanted to share my story because my pain wasn't constant and unending. It came in early morning, and then disappeared, leaving me feeling fine for 23 hours of the day. I didn't find any descriptions online that mentioned the pain might be so sporadic and inconstant.

Comment from: jide, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

I have treated the staph infection numerous times, but it doesn't seem to go. I have had serious back pain for about 5 months, pain on the groin and on my thigh, and erectile dysfunction is setting in, all relating to it. I have taken several antibiotics, I don't know how to solve this issue before it kills me.

Comment from: NAGENDRA, 45-54 Female Published: July 18

I had a skid whilst alighting steps and had a side fall over the last step on the lateral side. There is pain 8 inches above the ankle. I met my family physician and he felt no x-ray is required and gave medicines for 2 days. I visited the doctor after two days and was able to stand straight and bend but it pained when leg is moved. However the doctor gave two injections, on day 1 and day 3 and asked to apply ice over the area where pain is felt and asked me to continue the same medicines for 2 more days. However there is swelling on the 3rd day but I am able walk slowly without any pressure/support. When I talked to the doctor saying there is a slight swelling, he says to have an x-ray and meet him.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had a lumpectomy and had sentinel node dye. Three nodes were removed, and 2 of those positive. I returned to surgery 2 weeks later and had 4 nodes removed and further scraping lateral to where previous lumpectomy was done. One node was positive. Now I have infection around the auxiliary operation site and down into my breast. I have used 2 different antibiotics and still using one for 5 days now, and my breast is still red and sore. I had fluid drained and was told I did not have an infection; but I did. So now I play the waiting game. When this subsides I am having radiation and the hormonal treatment. My cancer is a stage one. I had two tumors in my breast.

Comment from: Bernadette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

Ten days ago I was feeling rather weak. As soon as I got home, I went straight to bed. Even though it was a warm day, I got colder and colder, and then started shivering. I can't say how long that went on when I woke at one point so hot and sweating that I couldn't get out of my clothes fast enough. My temperature seemed to register 104.2! I dozed off again not being able to take medication because I just couldn't remember to. The next day I felt cooler so I showered. Then the whole thing repeated. Meanwhile my friends were calling each other to go to me as it seems I was delirious on the phone! They came with the paramedics and my temperature was 105! In the emergency room, the doctor noticed a pink area on my leg. It got worse before 3 antibiotics kicked in. The cellulitis in the leg has improved and the color is back to pink from red, the heat has lessened and the swelling is somewhat better at this time. It still hurts to put lotion on. I keep it elevated, but do not use heat on it as my primary doctor advised me to!

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.