Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: butternut, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

I had never had a flu shot, had flu maybe every 10-15 years, am very healthy, no chronic illnesses and I take no medicines. I am only allergic to penicillin, nothing else. I was forced to get flu shot for the first time this year as I am a registered nurse. A few hours after the shot, my arm started getting wheals, then itching, burning, swelling to 7cm circumference, plus burning and itching of eyes/nose/throat. It's been 3 weeks and I still don't feel right. I needed a week of prednisone. My employer told me only Guillain-Barré syndrome and anaphylaxis "count” as a reaction. So basically you have to stop breathing or be paralyzed to be excused. I missed a whole week of work. I can't afford to make myself sick every year and miss a whole week of work. I don't want to do this again.

Comment from: sllep tech, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Before being diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid arthritis), I got vaccine every year because of fibromyalgia and working in hospital. So after RA I've been leery. I did it this past Friday. Friday night I had a slight headache; Saturday, nausea, sweats and weakness; Sunday, nausea, sweats, fatigue and I thought I was going to pass out. All this on top of joint and muscle pain; not again, not me.

Comment from: LelKnit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Injection site appears like a bug bite and is red and a little bit swollen. It itches a bit but is tolerable. I have had a headache for the past 3 days since getting the shot. Hopefully it resolves soon. I get the flu shot every year and this is the first time I have had the headache. I received the non-intramuscular shot so the up side is I have no shoulder or muscle pain this year.

Comment from: concerned., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

After my first flu shot some 20 plus years ago, the next day I had body aches, fevers, chills and was extremely sick for 3 days. The following years for 15 consecutive years I received a shot without any incident. I stopped out of my own laziness and decided to get one again this year, I received it on Tuesday and by Friday I had headache, very high fever, body aches and extreme fatigue. I am not sure if I will continue to receive them or not. I have been told you can't get the flu from the shot, but I know this was not all imaginary.

Comment from: Miki, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

It was the worst mistake I ever made. I've never gotten a flu shot in my life but my wife thought it may be a good idea as I deal with people from all over the world on a daily basis. I thought I was going to die. Within 4-1/2 hours of getting the shot I was into full blown diarrhea and then another hour later projectile vomiting. This lasted all night and into the next day. I had my shot at 5 PM; never again. Still waiting to hear from the CDC (Center for Disease Control) as it seems this is an extremely rare case.

Comment from: 6861annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I was given both the flu and pneumonia vaccines at the same time last week. The same day I started with body aches and the next two days had excruciating pain throughout my body along with temperatures of 101 and 102. The arm the injections were given was so painful I was unable to raise it or even touch it for three days. It is now 5 days and the arm is much better but still has the red inflammation that covers the upper arm into the back. I have always been reluctant to get the flu shot but because I volunteer needed to get one last year (and had no problem) and again this year with these horrible reactions. Having both vaccines at the same time means it could have been the pneumonia one but will never know. No more flu vaccines for me, not worth it. I'll take my chances!

Comment from: Mela S., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had gotten a free flu shot at my college campus on Dec 2013. That same night I couldn't stop coughing, had a really bad sinus infection and sore throat, runny nose; it just hit me, I was totally fine that whole day before I got the shot. My left arm where I got the shot was painful and my left shoulder was so stiff, it was even painful to massage it. I researched on side effects on the shot and it said very few of its side effects, which sort of scared me. I think this is the last time I'm ever getting a flu shot.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with flu shot.