Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Pjs jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My husband and I got flu shot on November 4, 2015. Next day we both experienced soreness and redness at injection site along with low grade fever, runny nose, sore throat, and body aches. My husband, who has asthma, has very bad cough and lung congestion and going to the doctor today. We both have gotten flu shots every year for past 20 years and this is our first time to have a bad reaction. I am not sure about getting future flu shots.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I had the flu shot five days ago, and I have been experiencing muscle twitching in the upper arm where the vaccine was administered.

Comment from: dv, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 03

I waived the flu shot for 20 years. But was forced to get annual flu vaccination or face termination from my employer. I am a healthcare worker. I have received the annual flu vaccination for the last 3 years and each year within hours I begin to feel very fatigued and achy. This has gone on for 6 days now and I have had to take a personal day off today to rest. Of course the workplace does not admit a connection between the flu vaccine and my symptoms. I know from 20 years of waiving the flu vaccination, that my current symptoms are a result of the annual flu vaccination. It has always passed within a week, even 20 years ago; this episode is typical in my experience.

Comment from: Peaches, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had my flu shoot on November 01, 15. My arm is sore and I am having a burning sensation in the area of the injection. That evening I had a really bad head and neck ache. Also it felt like I had a sinus infection with congestion causing pain on the right side of my face with pain in my ear and teeth. I still have the pain this morning and aspirin is not working.

Comment from: Lesley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had my first flu shot on Thursday 29th October. Yesterday, Saturday 31st October, my throat was incredibly sore. Today Sunday, I still have a sore throat, a cough has developed, I ache and am extremely lethargic. I didn't wake up till mid-day when I am usually awake at 7.30 am. Not impressed.

Comment from: Nikki6, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I am recovering from 2 peroneal brevis surgeries and I perhaps overdid it when it came to rehabilitation. I thought my plantar fasciitis was flaring and began a heavy stretching and massaging routine. By the 4th day my arch pain began to hurt so bad it prevented any activity. Now I am back to RICE, Guess I wanted fast results and know I'm paying for it.

Comment from: Betty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

On October 1, 2014 I received the flu vaccine at my doctor's office. About 3 weeks later, I came down with pityriasis rosea which I believe was caused from the flu vaccine. This horrible, itchy rash lasted 5 months, covered my entire torso and left brown spots which are still visible. I was not able to wear anything but cotton against my skin and could only take cool showers in the middle of winter. I do not plan on getting another flu shot.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had the flu jab 13 days ago. I did feel like I had a bit of a cold that evening with a sore arm but now I have very achy joints, hips, elbows, etc., and no energy. I don't know if it's the jab or not.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.