Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: No more flu shot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I started waiving the flu shot in 2009. For the two years previous I had bad muscle pain for months, and in 2008 I couldn't use my arm for nine months, it kept me awake at night and I couldn't lift it above my waist due to pain and weakness. I now work in healthcare and today I was told if I didn't get the shot I'd have to wear a mask every day. So be it. I'll get one for every holiday. I did try to report my adverse reactions to the flu hotline and they made it impossible. The shots were received at flu clinics so I couldn't supply all their information they wanted so they wouldn't accept my report.

Comment from: VA in PA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I received my annual flu shot from my employer on 9/23/14. On 9/24 the injection site was inflamed and swollen about 2 inches in diameter. On 9/25 I then experienced joint pain and headache. On 9/26 my hand on the side that I received the dose was weak and painful (I do have degenerative joint disease in this hand). Normally, with past inoculations I had one day of feeling. I will continue to get flu shot 4 days are better than 2 weeks or even 3 months that I have read for patients dealing with H1N1.

Comment from: deeabee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I received the flu shot at work, and now I wish I hadn't. It's been one week since the injection, and I have such severe muscle pain in my shoulder and arm that I can't sleep on my left side. It's so painful to try to even pull a shirt over my head, and the pain sometimes goes down to my hand and fingers. I was perfectly fine and had no aches and pain like this before that flu shot! What a mistake, but this never happened before the other times I was given the flu vaccine. I will never get another one!

Comment from: Morty2, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 05

I was told they had a different flu shot, stronger, for elderly this year so I opted for it. No problems for about 40 minutes. Arm got very red, hot and very itchy from injection site to elbow. That was 2 days ago, and it is still red (looks like sunburn), hot, sore, and somewhat itchy. I think I will pass on the shot next year!

Comment from: marget, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had flu vaccine incorporating swine flu in 2014. I was unwell for a couple of weeks (never get sick) and since then have lost sense of smell and taste. The loss of smell is causing concern as I do not smell anything burning and had a few frights recently. The loss of taste means no more enjoyment of food, nothing enjoyed, just eat irregularly as we need to eat.

Comment from: EM, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 16

My daughter had the flu jab October 13 and the next day the tips of her fingers started bleeding. It is now July, she has missed nearly a whole year of school and almost daily her skin is bleeding, legs, face, arms, and thighs. We have seen lots of doctors and no one has ever seen anything like it and have no prognosis. She has been on steroids and now just stopped taking them as she had been on them for 7 months. We are desperate for some help.

Comment from: Shona1961, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I get the flu jab each year because I have asthma. After getting the jab around September 2013 I immediately felt a severe itching which turned into quite a pronounced lump. Ever since then, I have had a tender area on my left arm around the injection site. It feels very bruised. We are now in July 2014 and, a few months ago, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I now have the bruised feeling all over my torso and it still persists in my arm! Even if I just happen to knock my arm around that muscle area it is agony! I think I may risk getting the flu this year.

Comment from: Boo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had the flu jab in November and haven't felt right since. I've got ongoing muscle pain in my neck and shoulders, and stinging pain around my ribs and tummy. Three doctors said it was shingles but I don't agree with them, I've spent a fortune on physiotherapy and acupuncture but nothing has helped. Now I've got this horrible rash pityriasis rosea, it's the worst itch you can imagine along with viral symptoms and to top it all I've suddenly developed a tree pollen allergy. I felt fighting fit until I had the flu jab, I won't be having it this year.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.