Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I got the flu shot on a Saturday and woke up Sunday with the right side of my face numb. My face is still numb three days later. I was told Bell's Palsy is a rare side effect of the vaccine. I wish that all side effects were listed even the "rare" ones.

Comment from: MsB, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

I was forced to take the injection on 10/22/12. Since the vaccine I have been suffering from extreme malaise, full body aches, headaches, sore throat, burning and tightness in my chest, and also whether related or not, had a flare up of Strep B. I have had this reaction the last four times I received the vaccine, and it has lasted for months. I only hope that this time it ends sooner, being physically and mentally exhausted is no way to be, I would rather take my chances.

Comment from: LB, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I got my flu vaccine yesterday. I woke up this morning with my eyes very swollen, a sore throat, and pain in my neck, arms, back, and shoulders. I've had a headache all day too. I took some Benadryl and spent the whole day in bed. I've had the flu shot every year for the past three, and all I ever noticed was a sore arm before this time. I am a 54 year old woman with asthma, which is why I did the vaccine.

Comment from: dmd, Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had the flu shot on Tuesday, Oct 30th and had no side effects that day. When I got up on Wednesday I was fine but within an hour or so I had neck and pain between my shoulders. I still have it today.

Comment from: sick as a dog!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I've gotten a flu shot for 20 years with no problems. This year I've been sick as a dog for two weeks. Exhausted, terrible chills, lymph nodes are swollen and my throat is so sore I can barely swallow. I finally went to urgent care yesterday. The first thing the doctor asked me was "have you had a flu shot?" He said he was sick for 2 days after he got his (he was a big, strong young guy). I asked how this is possible since it's a killed virus. He said they have no explanation for it but they're seeing a lot of it. No flu shot for me ever again after this experience. I'll take my chances. I feel like this is never going to go away!

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.