Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I have had flu shots for many years with no side effects. In 2010 I had a flu shot and 24 hours later I was very sick with all the symptoms of flu. The symptoms were gone the next day, but it was so awful, I decided to NOT get the vaccine in 2011. Of course I came down with the flu that year and it lasted for weeks. Now in 2012 I don't know whether to get the vaccine or not. I'm 61 years old, and in moderate health.

Comment from: mmppjj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

Ugh! Had my flu shot yesterday. About six hours later I had the worst chills and shivering imaginable. Slight headache, but my whole body ached - especially right under the skin. Blood vessels in my head were pounding all night. Not a headache really, just a raging pulsing. This morning I am better, but real, real tired. I am 61 and otherwise in good health. I have gotten a flu shot almost every year, and I have never had a reaction like this before. Leaves me in doubt as to whether I should ever have a flu shot again.

Comment from: dee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 16

I am a 52 year old female. I work in a hospital so we are required to receive the flu shot. Right after I got it, I felt a little dizzy so I sat down. I felt OK after that. Then later my site in my arm was red, round a little puffy and sore which lasted a few days. I have been feeling extremely tired since then and it has been a week. I also had a scratchy throat off and on for the week and a headache for a few days. I am getting tired of being tired, so I hope this goes away soon.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with flu shot.