Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a 61 year old female from Naples, FL. I took the Flu shot on October 3rd. Since then I have coughed so much I had to get antibiotics, cortizone, and cough syrup. I have been miserable with muscle pains, tired, and cramps in my legs and toes. My doctor couldn't find a cause. I returned to see him four weeks later and he found pneumonia. I ended up in the hospital last week where they couldn't find anything wrong with me and gave me a paper with the suicide hotline when I was dismissed! I still feel very tired. I wake up coughing and have terrible cramps on my legs and toes.

Comment from: Mas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had my flu shots in early September since my daughter is pregnant and asked me to get it. Four days later I landed in the ER with a tight chest, dehydration, dizziness, sweats, and extreme weakness. I am a very healthy 55 year old women who has not even had a cold in 6 years. I was weak and coughing for four weeks and still wasn't feeling right for at least 6 weeks total. By Halloween I was seen by my dentist for a check up. She was obviously coughing and not worrying about her germs. Sure enough I got sick again and three weeks later an X-ray showed I had pneumonia. I will never ever get a flu shot. It has destroyed my immune system. And everyone I talk to has a story about themselves or a family member with a similar reaction. Never going to get the flu shot again. It's not even protecting you from this years virus because they don't know what it is yet.

Comment from: RobertG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Ever since I received the flu shot last week, I've experienced flu like symptoms every day, including today.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I received the flu shot and pneumonia shot on Thursday. Friday I had pain in my arm and a low grade fever all day. By Saturday the fever was gone but I had malaise all day and my arm from shoulder to elbow was swollen, red, warm to the touch and very stiff and painful.

Comment from: EK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I got my flu shot around noon today and around 6 pm had a difficult time staying awake. By 9 pm my head hurt and my body ached like I had the flu. I have a low fever and wish I never got the shot. I keep reading that the side effects are mild from flu shots but I feel awful.

Comment from: calig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I got a flu shot yesterday and this morning I ache all over. I've been struggling with sciatica but this is not related as every muscle in my body aches and I have a mild headache. I have no fever. I have gotten a flu shot every year for years and have only once had a mild low-grade fever and felt yucky for one day.

Comment from: Carey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was given a flu shot and tetanus shot (one in each arm) on Nov. 1. Within about four hours both arms were extremely sore and achy, swollen at the injection sites, and felt very weak. In addition, I felt very tired and generally ached all over my body. To this day, almost three weeks later, both arms are still sore and weak and I can barely lift them up over my head. Massage hasn't helped, nor Advil. Before these vaccinations I had only mild arthritis pain, but was strong in my arms and able to practice Yoga. Now I can barely lift the half gallon of milk! No more flu shots for me.

Comment from: Kathy1960, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Immediately after getting the flu vaccine, I had some swelling and itching at the injection site, but had expected that might happen. What I didn't expect was that 2.5 weeks later, I got Shingles which started with severe pain in one of my back joints on the right side, then I broke out in a cluster of blisters under my arm a few days later. I am currently on an anti-viral and pain medication. I did not have any undue stress or illness at the time I contracted Shingles; it had to be the flu vaccine. Other people have had this happen as well.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.