Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: RobertG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Ever since I received the flu shot last week, I've experienced flu like symptoms every day, including today.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I received the flu shot and pneumonia shot on Thursday. Friday I had pain in my arm and a low grade fever all day. By Saturday the fever was gone but I had malaise all day and my arm from shoulder to elbow was swollen, red, warm to the touch and very stiff and painful.

Comment from: EK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I got my flu shot around noon today and around 6 pm had a difficult time staying awake. By 9 pm my head hurt and my body ached like I had the flu. I have a low fever and wish I never got the shot. I keep reading that the side effects are mild from flu shots but I feel awful.

Comment from: calig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I got a flu shot yesterday and this morning I ache all over. I've been struggling with sciatica but this is not related as every muscle in my body aches and I have a mild headache. I have no fever. I have gotten a flu shot every year for years and have only once had a mild low-grade fever and felt yucky for one day.

Comment from: Carey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was given a flu shot and tetanus shot (one in each arm) on Nov. 1. Within about four hours both arms were extremely sore and achy, swollen at the injection sites, and felt very weak. In addition, I felt very tired and generally ached all over my body. To this day, almost three weeks later, both arms are still sore and weak and I can barely lift them up over my head. Massage hasn't helped, nor Advil. Before these vaccinations I had only mild arthritis pain, but was strong in my arms and able to practice Yoga. Now I can barely lift the half gallon of milk! No more flu shots for me.

Comment from: Kathy1960, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Immediately after getting the flu vaccine, I had some swelling and itching at the injection site, but had expected that might happen. What I didn't expect was that 2.5 weeks later, I got Shingles which started with severe pain in one of my back joints on the right side, then I broke out in a cluster of blisters under my arm a few days later. I am currently on an anti-viral and pain medication. I did not have any undue stress or illness at the time I contracted Shingles; it had to be the flu vaccine. Other people have had this happen as well.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I got the flu shot on a Saturday and woke up Sunday with the right side of my face numb. My face is still numb three days later. I was told Bell's Palsy is a rare side effect of the vaccine. I wish that all side effects were listed even the "rare" ones.

Comment from: MsB, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

I was forced to take the injection on 10/22/12. Since the vaccine I have been suffering from extreme malaise, full body aches, headaches, sore throat, burning and tightness in my chest, and also whether related or not, had a flare up of Strep B. I have had this reaction the last four times I received the vaccine, and it has lasted for months. I only hope that this time it ends sooner, being physically and mentally exhausted is no way to be, I would rather take my chances.

Comment from: LB, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I got my flu vaccine yesterday. I woke up this morning with my eyes very swollen, a sore throat, and pain in my neck, arms, back, and shoulders. I've had a headache all day too. I took some Benadryl and spent the whole day in bed. I've had the flu shot every year for the past three, and all I ever noticed was a sore arm before this time. I am a 54 year old woman with asthma, which is why I did the vaccine.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with flu shot.