Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: calig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I got a flu shot yesterday and this morning I ache all over. I've been struggling with sciatica but this is not related as every muscle in my body aches and I have a mild headache. I have no fever. I have gotten a flu shot every year for years and have only once had a mild low-grade fever and felt yucky for one day.

Comment from: Carey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was given a flu shot and tetanus shot (one in each arm) on Nov. 1. Within about four hours both arms were extremely sore and achy, swollen at the injection sites, and felt very weak. In addition, I felt very tired and generally ached all over my body. To this day, almost three weeks later, both arms are still sore and weak and I can barely lift them up over my head. Massage hasn't helped, nor Advil. Before these vaccinations I had only mild arthritis pain, but was strong in my arms and able to practice Yoga. Now I can barely lift the half gallon of milk! No more flu shots for me.

Comment from: Kathy1960, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Immediately after getting the flu vaccine, I had some swelling and itching at the injection site, but had expected that might happen. What I didn't expect was that 2.5 weeks later, I got Shingles which started with severe pain in one of my back joints on the right side, then I broke out in a cluster of blisters under my arm a few days later. I am currently on an anti-viral and pain medication. I did not have any undue stress or illness at the time I contracted Shingles; it had to be the flu vaccine. Other people have had this happen as well.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I got the flu shot on a Saturday and woke up Sunday with the right side of my face numb. My face is still numb three days later. I was told Bell's Palsy is a rare side effect of the vaccine. I wish that all side effects were listed even the "rare" ones.

Comment from: MsB, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

I was forced to take the injection on 10/22/12. Since the vaccine I have been suffering from extreme malaise, full body aches, headaches, sore throat, burning and tightness in my chest, and also whether related or not, had a flare up of Strep B. I have had this reaction the last four times I received the vaccine, and it has lasted for months. I only hope that this time it ends sooner, being physically and mentally exhausted is no way to be, I would rather take my chances.

Comment from: LB, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I got my flu vaccine yesterday. I woke up this morning with my eyes very swollen, a sore throat, and pain in my neck, arms, back, and shoulders. I've had a headache all day too. I took some Benadryl and spent the whole day in bed. I've had the flu shot every year for the past three, and all I ever noticed was a sore arm before this time. I am a 54 year old woman with asthma, which is why I did the vaccine.

Comment from: dmd, Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had the flu shot on Tuesday, Oct 30th and had no side effects that day. When I got up on Wednesday I was fine but within an hour or so I had neck and pain between my shoulders. I still have it today.

Comment from: sick as a dog!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I've gotten a flu shot for 20 years with no problems. This year I've been sick as a dog for two weeks. Exhausted, terrible chills, lymph nodes are swollen and my throat is so sore I can barely swallow. I finally went to urgent care yesterday. The first thing the doctor asked me was "have you had a flu shot?" He said he was sick for 2 days after he got his (he was a big, strong young guy). I asked how this is possible since it's a killed virus. He said they have no explanation for it but they're seeing a lot of it. No flu shot for me ever again after this experience. I'll take my chances. I feel like this is never going to go away!

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with flu shot.