Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: MB, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I got scleritis 4 days after flu shot. My right shoulder (shot was in left) became so sore I could not move my arm. I got a cold I cannot seem to get rid of. I am awaiting blood test result for autoimmune disease due to the scleritis. Scary stuff. I will never have a flu shot again in my life. I will gladly wear a mask at work from now on. That is if the flu shot has not triggered autoimmune disease in me. I cannot have flu shot if it has. Educate yourselves of the risks before blindly getting the flu vaccine.

Comment from: jay, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

I never had a flu shot before and never will again. I can't lift my arm, it is swollen and red and very, very tender. The effects began within one hour following dose, high fever, chills, muscle aches, soreness, no appetite, and sleep all the time. The pain was so much that even my hair hurt! I don't believe I will ever subject myself to this again. I am on third day and now taking Theraflu and aspirin!

Comment from: Tammie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I developed a bump the size of a half dollar and it is red, painful and it itches. I had the flu shot 2 days ago. This developed midafternoon yesterday.

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I received my flu shot yesterday. Today I have a 4 inch long bruise, and at the bottom of the bruise is a red hot itchy pocket (seems that the serum has not dissolved). My arm feels like it weighs 1000 lb. and I also have an itchy rash all over my chest and on my right elbow. I have gotten the shot before and this has never happened. Never again.

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I received the over 65 flu vaccine on 10/13/14. By 10/16 I developed a very sore throat and muscle aches that continued through the weekend and got progressively worse. I saw the doctor on 10/20 and asked for a throat culture as I have never had a sore throat last that long. The culture was negative. At the time I didn't even think the flu shot might be the reason for all the symptoms. The next evening I had severe chills, a temperature of 101 and pleurisy pains in left rib cage. The same thing happened last night. I am now waiting for a call back from clinic. Even though the reasons for getting a flu shot are very valid for seniors, I don't know if I want to go through this again.

Comment from: Budgetwatcher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I got the flu shot Friday. I started chills Sunday afternoon. Sunday night I had fever, chills, muscle aches, and sore eye muscles and vision changes. Fever broke Monday evening, then started diarrhea. Tuesday, I am taking Imodium and at work. I am still weak and tired.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 21

I should have read this before I got my flu shot today. Right away my throat was a bit itchy and dry and I started coughing. Within an hour I started to get a headache. It has been about 10 hours and I have a very severe headache, and my neck and shoulders are sore. Whatever is going on this year! I've never had any trouble like this before. Hope this information gets reported to the appropriate authorities.

Comment from: Jubie63143, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I got a flu shot day before yesterday and I have had a weird allergic reaction. I never had any problems before with flu shots and have no allergies. My symptoms are: day of shot stung a little, very sore the rest of the day. Next day I was very tired, arm sore, and muscle aches. Third day big red round spot on my arm, which is hot to the touch and feeling like a burn. The spot is still very sore, tongue is swollen a bit, have a sore throat, and eye vision a little blurry. I will be watching this very close and hopefully it will get better within the next few days. I will also post if anything gets worse!

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.