Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Published: December 10

I had a headache and chills two hours after getting the shot.

Comment from: Bridget, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

My husband and I, and my two year old all got the flu shot injection, and my seven year old got the nasal spray Friday night. Within 24 hours of us all getting our shots all of us had vomiting and diarrhea except the two year old, I'm waiting to see if he gets it too, and we got sick in the order we got the vaccinations. Possible we had already contracted it before the vaccine but it's very suspiciously ironic.

Comment from: Anne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I got my flu vaccine on Wednesday and by Thursday afternoon I had a pretty severe headache and neck pain. It's Friday night now and I still have the headache and neck pain that Advil, aspirin, and Tylenol won't touch. I finally took an Aleve and got some relief but it isn't totally gone. It's so miserable, I've never had a reaction to the flu shot and don't think I'll be getting one again.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I received a flu shot in 2010 and about 5 weeks ago. I was not initially sick from either shot. What I have experienced is bone pain. A friend referred to it as migratory pain. This pain has showed up both times within a few weeks after the flu shot. I don't know how long this bout will last.

Comment from: M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a 61 year old female from Naples, FL. I took the Flu shot on October 3rd. Since then I have coughed so much I had to get antibiotics, cortizone, and cough syrup. I have been miserable with muscle pains, tired, and cramps in my legs and toes. My doctor couldn't find a cause. I returned to see him four weeks later and he found pneumonia. I ended up in the hospital last week where they couldn't find anything wrong with me and gave me a paper with the suicide hotline when I was dismissed! I still feel very tired. I wake up coughing and have terrible cramps on my legs and toes.

Comment from: Mas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had my flu shots in early September since my daughter is pregnant and asked me to get it. Four days later I landed in the ER with a tight chest, dehydration, dizziness, sweats, and extreme weakness. I am a very healthy 55 year old women who has not even had a cold in 6 years. I was weak and coughing for four weeks and still wasn't feeling right for at least 6 weeks total. By Halloween I was seen by my dentist for a check up. She was obviously coughing and not worrying about her germs. Sure enough I got sick again and three weeks later an X-ray showed I had pneumonia. I will never ever get a flu shot. It has destroyed my immune system. And everyone I talk to has a story about themselves or a family member with a similar reaction. Never going to get the flu shot again. It's not even protecting you from this years virus because they don't know what it is yet.

Comment from: RobertG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Ever since I received the flu shot last week, I've experienced flu like symptoms every day, including today.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I received the flu shot and pneumonia shot on Thursday. Friday I had pain in my arm and a low grade fever all day. By Saturday the fever was gone but I had malaise all day and my arm from shoulder to elbow was swollen, red, warm to the touch and very stiff and painful.

Comment from: EK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I got my flu shot around noon today and around 6 pm had a difficult time staying awake. By 9 pm my head hurt and my body ached like I had the flu. I have a low fever and wish I never got the shot. I keep reading that the side effects are mild from flu shots but I feel awful.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with flu shot.