Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Kacie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have gotten flu shot every year and never had a problem until this year. Went to the local pharmacy for a shot and I don't think the pharmacist had ever given one before. The pain when he gave it was unbearable in my arm. Next morning I woke up with a severe headache and pain in my arm that radiated to the front of my chest. I was nauseous, dizzy and in pain all weekend. I had tingling in my hands and 3 days later have so much rib and arm pain on the side I received the shot in.

Comment from: Better off with the, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

It has been less than 2 weeks since I had the flu vaccine. I have migraine like constant headaches, vomiting and problems with my vision. I can't look sideways as it is double vision or blurry. I can't walk far for the dizziness that strikes. My doctor said I was his 5th patient with these symptoms this week.

Comment from: Anew, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I got a flu shot in late November 2012, because I have an infant granddaughter and was urged to do so to protect her. Within a day or so, I developed a very itchy rash on my arm beginning just below the injection site. In the next month it spread down my arm. It took months to clear up. I still have marks on my arm almost a year later. There is no doubt in my mind that the rash was from the flu shot.

Comment from: MomInNC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I received the flu vaccine yesterday at 1:00 pm. By 7:00 pm, I experienced chills, low-grade fever, pain in my neck and upper back, watery eyes, cough, runny nose, and joint aches. I am feeling better this morning, but still have pain at the injection site (which covers my entire upper arm muscle), runny nose, and general weakness.

Comment from: puppup21, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I just got the flu on Sunday and I'm 26 years old. I got it last year without any bad reaction so I decided to get it again. About a day and a half later, and got a mild sore throat. The next day my sore throat got worse, I got a runny nose and then a stuffy nose. I had aches and pains, hot flashes, chills, and a bad headache. Two days later, add a cough and extreme tiredness to the list. Today, I'm feeling miserable. I have a cough, stuffy nose, I'm very achy, very tired, have the chills, and am irritable. I'm usually really healthy, but this shot hit me like a bomb. I may not REALLY be sick, but my poor body THINKS it's sick.

Comment from: KM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I received the preservative free flu shot in October and my upper arm/shoulder has been very itchy ever since. No itching anywhere else. I get the preservative free shot, as I am allergic to Thimerosal. Several years ago I had a reaction to the flu shot that had this preservative in it. The left side of my face (the side where I received the shot) experienced drooping and numbness (Bell's Palsy).

Comment from: sicasadog, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

I received flu shot 12-15-14 at 10 am and woke up the next day with a sore throat and muscle aches. Symptoms have worsened and it is Wednesday evening. Never again.

Comment from: PRADIP, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

My mother has been taking flu vaccine for two years. After 5 hours she feels fever about 103 degrees.

Comment from: Margaret Anne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Five days after having the flu shot vaccine my husband and I became ill after eating a hard-boiled egg at a hotel breakfast. He had no side effects other than the 'runs'. Besides that within minutes I had a tingling down my left side, threw up and now for 3 weeks have had extreme pressure and numbness of neck, shoulder and ribs on my left side. I thought I was having a stroke but no symptoms on the check-list. I am still getting tests.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.