Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had a flu shot for the year 2011-12 season. When I went for my checkup I was fine. They asked me if I wanted to get my flu shot since I was there already, so I went to get my flu shot. That was on a Wednesday. On Friday morning I woke up and could not walk. I have not been right in my legs and muscle tone since then. The doctors are still working on me now. And this is 2012, a year later. I will never get a flu shot again.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am almost 72, I'm active, work-full time, am very healthy, and have not had a flu shot in years. But the doctor scared me into a mercury-free flu shot. He also gave me a tetanus/whooping cough shot in the same arm. I experienced chest tightness, but it went away. But now I have constant problems with numbness from my fingertips all the way down my sides. It is worse on the right, and nothing seems to help. It is really affecting my quality of sleep and energy.

Published: December 10

I had a headache and chills two hours after getting the shot.

Comment from: Bridget, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

My husband and I, and my two year old all got the flu shot injection, and my seven year old got the nasal spray Friday night. Within 24 hours of us all getting our shots all of us had vomiting and diarrhea except the two year old, I'm waiting to see if he gets it too, and we got sick in the order we got the vaccinations. Possible we had already contracted it before the vaccine but it's very suspiciously ironic.

Comment from: Anne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I got my flu vaccine on Wednesday and by Thursday afternoon I had a pretty severe headache and neck pain. It's Friday night now and I still have the headache and neck pain that Advil, aspirin, and Tylenol won't touch. I finally took an Aleve and got some relief but it isn't totally gone. It's so miserable, I've never had a reaction to the flu shot and don't think I'll be getting one again.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I received a flu shot in 2010 and about 5 weeks ago. I was not initially sick from either shot. What I have experienced is bone pain. A friend referred to it as migratory pain. This pain has showed up both times within a few weeks after the flu shot. I don't know how long this bout will last.

Comment from: M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a 61 year old female from Naples, FL. I took the Flu shot on October 3rd. Since then I have coughed so much I had to get antibiotics, cortizone, and cough syrup. I have been miserable with muscle pains, tired, and cramps in my legs and toes. My doctor couldn't find a cause. I returned to see him four weeks later and he found pneumonia. I ended up in the hospital last week where they couldn't find anything wrong with me and gave me a paper with the suicide hotline when I was dismissed! I still feel very tired. I wake up coughing and have terrible cramps on my legs and toes.

Comment from: Mas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had my flu shots in early September since my daughter is pregnant and asked me to get it. Four days later I landed in the ER with a tight chest, dehydration, dizziness, sweats, and extreme weakness. I am a very healthy 55 year old women who has not even had a cold in 6 years. I was weak and coughing for four weeks and still wasn't feeling right for at least 6 weeks total. By Halloween I was seen by my dentist for a check up. She was obviously coughing and not worrying about her germs. Sure enough I got sick again and three weeks later an X-ray showed I had pneumonia. I will never ever get a flu shot. It has destroyed my immune system. And everyone I talk to has a story about themselves or a family member with a similar reaction. Never going to get the flu shot again. It's not even protecting you from this years virus because they don't know what it is yet.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.