Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: sewer, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have a similar reaction every time I get a flu shot. The doctor recommends that I still get it. After two weeks I begin to itch all over my body. It's worse along my back and especially at night when my body is slowing down. I keeps me awake. It happens after every shot and no one believes it could happen.

Comment from: ms stanley, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

I had a flu shot in October 2012. I'm in the health field and get flu shots every year at least for 12 years. Initially my shoulder ached at the deltoid and decrease ROM with shoulder flexion, and shoulder abduction on the left side where the shot was given. It is now December 2012 and I continue to experience a decrease in ROM, pain on my left shoulder and nocturnal pain.

Comment from: RN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I received the flu vaccine at work and within 24 hours my joints were inflamed and painful. It was mandatory. I now have systemic joint swelling and pain. Some days it is difficult to hold things or walk. I am seeking advice on how to end this. I kept thinking it would go away but it is getting worse. The doctor my employer referred me to didn't even look at me before he said it was impossible for a flu vaccine to cause this.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had a flu shot for the year 2011-12 season. When I went for my checkup I was fine. They asked me if I wanted to get my flu shot since I was there already, so I went to get my flu shot. That was on a Wednesday. On Friday morning I woke up and could not walk. I have not been right in my legs and muscle tone since then. The doctors are still working on me now. And this is 2012, a year later. I will never get a flu shot again.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am almost 72, I'm active, work-full time, am very healthy, and have not had a flu shot in years. But the doctor scared me into a mercury-free flu shot. He also gave me a tetanus/whooping cough shot in the same arm. I experienced chest tightness, but it went away. But now I have constant problems with numbness from my fingertips all the way down my sides. It is worse on the right, and nothing seems to help. It is really affecting my quality of sleep and energy.

Published: December 10

I had a headache and chills two hours after getting the shot.

Comment from: Bridget, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

My husband and I, and my two year old all got the flu shot injection, and my seven year old got the nasal spray Friday night. Within 24 hours of us all getting our shots all of us had vomiting and diarrhea except the two year old, I'm waiting to see if he gets it too, and we got sick in the order we got the vaccinations. Possible we had already contracted it before the vaccine but it's very suspiciously ironic.

Comment from: Anne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I got my flu vaccine on Wednesday and by Thursday afternoon I had a pretty severe headache and neck pain. It's Friday night now and I still have the headache and neck pain that Advil, aspirin, and Tylenol won't touch. I finally took an Aleve and got some relief but it isn't totally gone. It's so miserable, I've never had a reaction to the flu shot and don't think I'll be getting one again.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I received a flu shot in 2010 and about 5 weeks ago. I was not initially sick from either shot. What I have experienced is bone pain. A friend referred to it as migratory pain. This pain has showed up both times within a few weeks after the flu shot. I don't know how long this bout will last.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.