Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Freda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had the flu shot for the 1st time a week ago, it started off with my entire body being sore, breast, chest, arms, and legs, and then I ran a fever and broke out in hives for 2 days. After that subsided, my face continued to itch, eyes and cheeks, until I scratched so much that I broke the skin. I will never take the flu shot again, hopefully this will all go away and my skin will clear up.

Comment from: Momel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I got senior flu shot on Thursday October 10, 2014. By that evening I had bad headache, extremely warm skin to the touch, no appetite, shivering, and very sore arm. I could hardly sleep that night, but by next morning was much better and totally fine by 24 hours later. I never had any reaction to the regular flu shot and will not take senior again. Also, the shot burned a great deal when injected. I looked up senior shot and it is 4x as strong as regular; too much for me.

Comment from: Hemant, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I took flu shots in the years 1994, 1995, and 1996 and each time on the 7th day from the respective dates I was laid up with severe fever, body aches and sore throat for a week followed by at least a week of weakness. So I decided to stop taking shots and at 82 now I am quite healthy taking regular exercise and watching my life style.

Comment from: Ka, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

I got my flu shot on Friday afternoon. I have had a headache since Friday night; stiff and aching neck and all of my joints hurt. I have low grade fever and my sinuses are tender/swollen. I have also been sneezing off and on all day today (Sunday) and my throat is itchy and sore. I do have allergies, but this isn't usually the time of year I have symptoms. As I have to have the flu shot (working in the health care field it's required) I don't have much choice but to get the vaccine. Ugh. Enough said.

Comment from: pmd, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I took my flu shot a week ago and have been experiencing muscle spasms in my arm, pain radiating from the neck and shoulder down to the arm. I did not experience any pain during the injection.

Comment from: Cherstorm, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I had the flu shot about 3 weeks ago. I experienced burning with the injection and severe shoulder and left arm pain about 4 hours later. I had continued severe pain for 3 days. I had assumed it was getting better and when I noticed I was having continued left arm pain I assumed it was a side effect from a new medication I was taking. I stop the medication, and the pain continued. I'm certain my pain is from my flu shot. After nearly 4 weeks I have such severe left arm and shoulder pain that dressing my upper body and washing my hair are extremely difficult. I've had the flu shot several time before without any side effects. This is very scary.

Comment from: Cassie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I still have very sore muscles and spasms in my arm where flu shot was given; 9 days later. I could not lift my arm at all for 3 days. I also got weak and almost passed out about 4 hours after the shot, proceeded to have chills for 3 hours after that. I have had flu shots since my 20s (now 67) and never had a reaction like this. I am very worried about the pain in my upper arm/shoulder, it almost feels like a torn muscle or worse; something wrong in rotator cup.

Comment from: Marta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I had a flu shot on Monday morning, and by afternoon I was shivering and running 100.4 fever, headache, and the injection site was very sore with a red disk about 3 inches in diameter. The next two days I had a fever of 102.9 and 102.7 and was very sick. The fever finally broke on Thursday, but I'm still not feeling very well.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.