Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Morty2, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 05

I was told they had a different flu shot, stronger, for elderly this year so I opted for it. No problems for about 40 minutes. Arm got very red, hot and very itchy from injection site to elbow. That was 2 days ago, and it is still red (looks like sunburn), hot, sore, and somewhat itchy. I think I will pass on the shot next year!

Comment from: marget, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had flu vaccine incorporating swine flu in 2014. I was unwell for a couple of weeks (never get sick) and since then have lost sense of smell and taste. The loss of smell is causing concern as I do not smell anything burning and had a few frights recently. The loss of taste means no more enjoyment of food, nothing enjoyed, just eat irregularly as we need to eat.

Comment from: EM, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 16

My daughter had the flu jab October 13 and the next day the tips of her fingers started bleeding. It is now July, she has missed nearly a whole year of school and almost daily her skin is bleeding, legs, face, arms, and thighs. We have seen lots of doctors and no one has ever seen anything like it and have no prognosis. She has been on steroids and now just stopped taking them as she had been on them for 7 months. We are desperate for some help.

Comment from: Shona1961, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I get the flu jab each year because I have asthma. After getting the jab around September 2013 I immediately felt a severe itching which turned into quite a pronounced lump. Ever since then, I have had a tender area on my left arm around the injection site. It feels very bruised. We are now in July 2014 and, a few months ago, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I now have the bruised feeling all over my torso and it still persists in my arm! Even if I just happen to knock my arm around that muscle area it is agony! I think I may risk getting the flu this year.

Comment from: Boo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had the flu jab in November and haven't felt right since. I've got ongoing muscle pain in my neck and shoulders, and stinging pain around my ribs and tummy. Three doctors said it was shingles but I don't agree with them, I've spent a fortune on physiotherapy and acupuncture but nothing has helped. Now I've got this horrible rash pityriasis rosea, it's the worst itch you can imagine along with viral symptoms and to top it all I've suddenly developed a tree pollen allergy. I felt fighting fit until I had the flu jab, I won't be having it this year.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My note on 29 April 2014. On 5 April 2014 I had the flu vaccine injection done at a well-known pharmacy. I was fine until 27 April 2014 when I fell ill, had sore throat, thick head sensation, runny nose, aching ears etc. I called upon the pharmacy where I got it from who said they cannot refund me and sold me a flu 3 in 1 pack which cost me further. I am not impressed. The pharmaceutical factories make these vaccines, it doesnt really work, we don't get a guarantee, and we don't get a refund either! So I bought myself a chocolate to help me feel better.

Comment from: Assistant Nurse, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

I received the flu shot last Tuesday just after Easter. I had a very sore arm around the site of the injection for 5 days. I developed a very itchy skin all over my body on day 5 and needed to take 2 antihistamine tablets. Day 6, I developed a severe sore throat, and I am gargling mouthwash every 45 minutes. I was very thirsty and could hardly talk, my throat swelled up and I didn"t sleep well also.

Comment from: Newzhnd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a flu shot resulting in severe muscle pain from my neck to shoulder to arm so that I had to learn to use my mouse with my left hand. It took three months to clear up, during which I had acupuncture treatments by a licensed professional who is also an MD. Note that I am in age range of 55 to 64 and had had flu shots since I was in my 20s.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.