Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 10

My husband who is 67 received the flu vaccine in early November. About 3 weeks afterwards he has developed a severe case of hives and extreme itching. He is very prone to hives and has dry skin. I also received the high dose flu vaccine on October 1st and about 3 weeks later developed severe upper arm itching with little or no rash. Our life has been a bit of a nightmare since.

Comment from: Kel B., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

It is now a year since I received the flu vaccine. Within 24 hours I was experiencing pain in the upper left arm. This continues unchanged 12 months on. I can raise my arm forwards without too much pain but sideways and behind me only waist high. It is still really painful. It is doubtful I will have another flu jab in the future.

Comment from: Doug, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

My husband had a flu shot almost 3 weeks ago and started with a sore throat that night. The next afternoon the sore throat went away, but he ached all over and started with a fever of 103.4 and had the sweats and chills. This lasted for a week when he was hospitalized and they did blood tests that came back saying there was no infection in his body as his white cell count was normal. His fever persisted for another week. It is now back to normal, but he still has sweats and is very weak.

Comment from: JD, Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had the flu injection on Friday and had severe diarrhea and painful stomach. I also have very bad indigestion and heart burn and pain in my chest. I had flu injection before and was fine. I won't be getting flu jab again.

Comment from: kota, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am scared to death to take a flu shot since the last one I received put me in bed for almost 3 weeks. In addition, I firmly believe that my son's death at age 50 in 2009 can be attributed to receiving a flu shot. He called me two days prior to his death and told me that he had felt really sick since receiving the injection. The news that I next received was that he died in his sleep that very night. The coroner attributed his passing to the electrical rhythm in heart having failed. I cannot believe this because he was extremely healthy, a non-smoker, and very health conscious. I do believe that there are some of us that would be better off getting the flu rather than the reactions to the injection. I will never get a flu shot and will never get over losing my only son.

Comment from: MB, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I got scleritis 4 days after flu shot. My right shoulder (shot was in left) became so sore I could not move my arm. I got a cold I cannot seem to get rid of. I am awaiting blood test result for autoimmune disease due to the scleritis. Scary stuff. I will never have a flu shot again in my life. I will gladly wear a mask at work from now on. That is if the flu shot has not triggered autoimmune disease in me. I cannot have flu shot if it has. Educate yourselves of the risks before blindly getting the flu vaccine.

Comment from: jay, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

I never had a flu shot before and never will again. I can't lift my arm, it is swollen and red and very, very tender. The effects began within one hour following dose, high fever, chills, muscle aches, soreness, no appetite, and sleep all the time. The pain was so much that even my hair hurt! I don't believe I will ever subject myself to this again. I am on third day and now taking Theraflu and aspirin!

Comment from: Tammie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I developed a bump the size of a half dollar and it is red, painful and it itches. I had the flu shot 2 days ago. This developed midafternoon yesterday.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.