Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

After getting my 2013 flu shot (same evening) I starting getting chills, coughing and headache. Over the next week I had nausea, vomiting and diarrhea in addition to the earlier symptoms. Now it is over two weeks later, I still don't feel well.

Comment from: jenny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I got the flu vaccine on Wednesday and began having neck pain later in the day. It got so bad later that night I couldn't sleep. I was so stiff in the morning I needed help getting out of bed. It hasn't gotten any better yet. Wish I didn't get it this year!

Comment from: Lancs1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

The day after my flu shot I started with stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders and a really bad headache. That was one week ago and I'm still getting a headache from morning till night every day. I've never had symptoms with a flu shot before, but I won't be having one again. These headaches are really bad.

Comment from: toogoof4u, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It's been two weeks since I got the flu shot. The first three days I experienced a severe migraine, one of the worst ones I have ever had. Nausea for two more days. My goodness, my arm is still sore, I could not move or touch it for days. After a week I am getting excruciating pain at the injection site when I move my arm a certain way and it is 3 days now. Today I started getting an ache in my ribs, when I breathe. I am not sure if it is related but it feels like the same ache as in my arm. I have had lung problems and one removed so this has me worried. I may be taking a trip to the emergency room tomorrow.

Comment from: oliviacamron, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

This is my 5th time getting a flu shot. This time, 10 minutes after the shot, I had a numbing sensation in my arms and legs. My brain felt funny. My brain still aches in a strange way and it's been 72 hours since the shot. I have been sweating constantly and feeling extremely tired. Today I woke up with a sore throat. I thought the side effects only lasted 2 days but they are getting worse. I have had a bad temper also.

Comment from: flippy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been getting the flu shot for the past few years. The warning always said not to get the shot if you have a fever etc., so I've always only taken it when I'm not sick. Generally after the flu shot, I feel weakness, headaches, a small fever, or chills. This year was no different. About 6 hours after the shot, I became very tired, and had minor chills, requiring a blanket. Fifteen hours after the shot, I had powerful chills, requiring a thick blanket and a heated pad. Eighteen hours after, I felt hot, no longer requiring any blankets and I still have a headache and feeling weak.

Comment from: MarilynC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

This is the first year I have ever had any reaction. I have been getting flu shots for years and have no doubt they have kept me from getting the flu. This year my arm was sore a few hours after the injection and is still sore 24 hours later. The soreness is in my shoulder, all the way down to my fingers. It is even in my under arm and moving into my breast. I did notice this year it felt like the nurse jabbed me extra hard and that the needle was much larger than ever before. Other years I could barely tell they were giving me the shot.

Comment from: Ms. T., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a flu vaccine a few weeks ago. I have been feeling lethargic and sluggish. I'm always a person on the move. This has knocked me off my feet. My joints ache all over. My back, shoulder, wrist and my whole body hurts, like never before. It hurts to sleep. I have never had pain like this before.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.