Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: nursestudent, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I got a flu shot on Tuesday, later that day I had a headache. The next day I still had a headache, and today the headache still has not gone away. The headache today wasnt too bad, but it has gotten worse toward the end of the day. Also, this headache isnt like my usual headache I get from time to time, it is a dull pain across the whole front of my head. I have never had the flu and the first time I got a flu shot was last year, and this year I decided to get one because 1. im pregnant and 2. the flu seems bad this year

Comment from: nurseinohio, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 16

I never wanted to get the flu vaccine but was forced this year by my employer. The reason I never got it was fear of getting sick. I didn't get sick with the flu. I did however get a fever, body aches, and a horrible migraine that lasted for 3 days. Unfortunately, since I am a nurse I will be required to get it again.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had my flu shot on Saturday at 3:15. By 7:30 that evening I had developed sore eyes with a discharge. It was so bad and was oozing constantly, even during the night. I also developed by that evening a swollen and sore throat, as well as some congestion in my nose. By the next morning my eyes were all swollen, although the discharge was less, and I had a headache especially over my eyes. I didn't feel well at all. It is now Monday. My eyes feel better but I still have a headache. And now it seems to be on the top of my head also. I am taking Advil. I hope I feel better soon.

Comment from: Male RN, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 14

This year I bought into the hype and got the flu shot. Well as a type II diabetic I was told I was at a greater risk, and the large teaching hospital I work at was putting great pressure on us to get it. Well here I lie for the fourth straight day with the worse flu symptoms ever. Never again will I get the flu shot.

Comment from: Shineon83, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I first received a flu shot 15 years ago. The following day I developed a "whopper" case of the flu. I had a high fever, chills, body aches, etc. I said, "Never again". However, as a high school teacher in a school system experiencing near-epidemic flu levels, I decided very late in the season this year to "try it again." I received the flu shot yesterday. So far, so good. I have no side effects, except for a mildly sore arm. If all continues well, I shall probably get another one next year.

Comment from: sickasadog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Five hours after the flu shot my throat felt like it was swelling and I began coughing. I had chills and shivered so bad I couldn't make it stop. I woke up the next day and my eyes were totally bloodshot and swollen. I had a fever all day. My entire body hurt and I broke out in a rash of red dots all over my body.

Comment from: keymand, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I got the flu shot last night at CVS. I woke up about 12:00 AM shivering with a fever. I got back to sleep and woke up on and off all night long going back and forth from fever to sweating. I got up in the morning and I feel like someone pushed me down a flight of stairs. I felt great last night before getting the shot. I hope this is short term.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I got my flu caccine the day after Christmas. The next day I felt a headache and body chills and aches. Afterwards I started coughing and sneezing. It is now Monday, New Years Eve and I still feel like I have a cold, cough, runny nose, and the chills continue. I can honestly say that I felt perfectly fine before the flu shot. I'm starting to wonder whether I should have gotten it at all.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.