Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Shineon83, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I first received a flu shot 15 years ago. The following day I developed a "whopper" case of the flu. I had a high fever, chills, body aches, etc. I said, "Never again". However, as a high school teacher in a school system experiencing near-epidemic flu levels, I decided very late in the season this year to "try it again." I received the flu shot yesterday. So far, so good. I have no side effects, except for a mildly sore arm. If all continues well, I shall probably get another one next year.

Comment from: sickasadog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Five hours after the flu shot my throat felt like it was swelling and I began coughing. I had chills and shivered so bad I couldn't make it stop. I woke up the next day and my eyes were totally bloodshot and swollen. I had a fever all day. My entire body hurt and I broke out in a rash of red dots all over my body.

Comment from: keymand, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I got the flu shot last night at CVS. I woke up about 12:00 AM shivering with a fever. I got back to sleep and woke up on and off all night long going back and forth from fever to sweating. I got up in the morning and I feel like someone pushed me down a flight of stairs. I felt great last night before getting the shot. I hope this is short term.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I got my flu caccine the day after Christmas. The next day I felt a headache and body chills and aches. Afterwards I started coughing and sneezing. It is now Monday, New Years Eve and I still feel like I have a cold, cough, runny nose, and the chills continue. I can honestly say that I felt perfectly fine before the flu shot. I'm starting to wonder whether I should have gotten it at all.

Comment from: sewer, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have a similar reaction every time I get a flu shot. The doctor recommends that I still get it. After two weeks I begin to itch all over my body. It's worse along my back and especially at night when my body is slowing down. I keeps me awake. It happens after every shot and no one believes it could happen.

Comment from: ms stanley, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

I had a flu shot in October 2012. I'm in the health field and get flu shots every year at least for 12 years. Initially my shoulder ached at the deltoid and decrease ROM with shoulder flexion, and shoulder abduction on the left side where the shot was given. It is now December 2012 and I continue to experience a decrease in ROM, pain on my left shoulder and nocturnal pain.

Comment from: RN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I received the flu vaccine at work and within 24 hours my joints were inflamed and painful. It was mandatory. I now have systemic joint swelling and pain. Some days it is difficult to hold things or walk. I am seeking advice on how to end this. I kept thinking it would go away but it is getting worse. The doctor my employer referred me to didn't even look at me before he said it was impossible for a flu vaccine to cause this.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had a flu shot for the year 2011-12 season. When I went for my checkup I was fine. They asked me if I wanted to get my flu shot since I was there already, so I went to get my flu shot. That was on a Wednesday. On Friday morning I woke up and could not walk. I have not been right in my legs and muscle tone since then. The doctors are still working on me now. And this is 2012, a year later. I will never get a flu shot again.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am almost 72, I'm active, work-full time, am very healthy, and have not had a flu shot in years. But the doctor scared me into a mercury-free flu shot. He also gave me a tetanus/whooping cough shot in the same arm. I experienced chest tightness, but it went away. But now I have constant problems with numbness from my fingertips all the way down my sides. It is worse on the right, and nothing seems to help. It is really affecting my quality of sleep and energy.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with flu shot.