Patient Comments: Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with flu shot.

Comment from: Fern, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

Over the past 30 years I may have only had the flu on one or two occasions. Last year I decided to have the flu vaccine for the first time and noted that about two weeks later I came down with severe flu like symptoms necessitating time off from work (I am self-employed). As you cannot contract the flu from the vaccine I put it down to being unlucky. This year I had the vaccine again and again about two weeks later I got sick. Coincident? I have spoken to several other people who have reported similar issue. Is there more to this that needs to be looked at?

Comment from: maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I got the flu shot (as I do every year) in September 2013. Within one hour of getting the shot I had pain in my left side from my shoulder to my hand. The pain got worse each day. I thought I had a rotator cuff problem, but after an x-ray and an MRI I was diagnosed with bursitis and the beginning of a frozen shoulder. I have been having physical therapy since October 2013 and condition is improving, but I still can"t sleep on my left side and I still do not have full range of motion. This was the first time that I had a flu shot in my upper arm, close to my shoulder.

Comment from: Nellie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

I have had flu shot 3 times before without incident. I had it about 5 weeks ago now, very painful at the time and for a week at the site. Then I had increasing difficulty lifting left arm (needle arm), soreness in the armpit, ache at end of the day, sore at night to sleep on. I have kept exercising the arm lightly, but pain in the muscle seems to be growing worse.

Comment from: Barbie5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Within minutes of receiving the flu vaccine at work, (I am a nurse and it was made mandatory that all employees receive it or risk employment) I walked down the hospital hall and suddenly had a strange lurching spastic gait. It only lasted a few minutes (2-3) and then resolved. The nurses I worked with were concerned and gave me fluids and had me sit for short period. I was okay the rest of the day. It was anxiety provoking and I will never receive any vaccine again.

Comment from: Jasmyn, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 18

I received a flu shot in October, my left arm had pain shooting in it so bad I wanted to cry. I went to the doctor he told me it was infected and swollen and I had fever. I have to see a neurologist now, it is February, my arm still hurts and the pain shoots to the back of my neck also.

Comment from: cristy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I got a flu shot on the 24th of March and today is March 31st, I still have back and neck pain. Now I feel weak with diarrhea and don't feel good at all.

Comment from: Dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

One week after receiving the flu shot on October 1st, 2013, I developed a red bumpy rash under the left arm. Thinking it might be shingles, I saw my internist who diagnosed dermatitis not related to the flu shot. I was given 6 days of oral cortisone to relieve the intense itching and rashes. The rash continued to expand over my arms, legs, chest stomach, groin, buttocks and back. My internist ordered another round of oral cortisone, this time for about 18 days. It helped relieve the itching, but the rash continued to develop. The rash started as tiny red spots with a white head, then spread to 1 to 3 centimeter diameter red crusty areas with intense itching, especially at night. I was referred to a dermatologist who prescribed cortisone cream. He said that the flu shot could be the cause as it was the only "change" I had experienced. I take no other medications, have normal blood pressure, etc. I have been very healthy prior to that shot. It is now 3 and one half months later and the rash continues with the intense itching especially at night. I am scheduled to see another dermatologist at the end of the month. It is now February 6th.

Flu Vaccination - Side Effects Question: Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?