Patient Comments: Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with the flu shot.

Comment from: melani, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I received my flu shot on November 6, 2014. A few days later I developed a nasty rash on the back of my hands. Doctor sent me to dermatologist who did biopsy. It came back as drug eruption. Rash began spreading to shoulders, then arms, then legs, and now feet. Allergist says it is hives, but cannot find a cause. Today is April 1st, 2015!

Comment from: chum, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I had the flu vaccine in September of 2014, not the first time getting it. The next day I started feeling bad and 2 days later I was sick with flu like symptoms. I started feeling better after 3 or 4 days but not up to par. I was weak. One week later I was in the emergency room with a temperature of 105.1. I was on 5 different antibiotics which kept the fever down. I tested positive for Ehrlickia (between Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever) and have been told by the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) doctor that it was very unusual but I also tested positive for West Nile virus. I stayed in the hospital for 11 days and here is where I think the flu shot had something to do with what happened to me while there. After 7 or 8 days physical therapy persons came to work with me, my left leg had no strength in it. It has feeling but no strength. I spent 6 weeks in rehab for physical therapy (PT) which did no good, as well as PT at home for about 4 weeks. It has now been 3 months and I am no better. I have been to various doctors to try to find out what has happened to my leg but so far no real answers. I have had an MRI on my back and nerve conduction test and have to go see a neurologists next week to see if it is caused by something in my hip or back. I have read a lot about Gillian Barre syndrome (GBS) and am wondering if that is what has happened to me caused from the flu shot. GBS is a possible side effect of the flu shot. The CDC doctor mentioned GBS to us on 2 different visits. My back has so much arthritis in it that getting spinal fluid is not an option. They tried when I was in the hospital and couldn't get it so it ruled out a clear diagnosis for some things. I have to walk with a walker because of the weakness. I'll probably never get another flu shot, there are too many side effects and I have too many things wrong with my body to take another chance.

Comment from: NJ Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I received a flu vaccine last year and felt burning immediately at the site of injection, but it spread to my shoulder within minutes. Later that week, I developed herald pityriasis rosea patch that itched and looked like ringworm. Throughout the following month, I developed the classic smaller patches on my trunk and it spread onto my upper arms, upper legs. I am afraid to get another flu shot this year. What are the chances that I will develop it again or have another type of reaction! I have a shellfish allergy and seasonal allergies.

Comment from: TForee, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 23

I get a flu shot each year, now it is December and I am just getting my flu shot. I got my shot on Thursday, felt fine until Saturday about 12:45 am. I have never before had this issue of pain after the shot, first bad headache, then excruciating pain, sleepless night. Twenty minutes of moist heat made the night bearable, my arm can hardly go up with the pain of it all.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I had the flu and pneumonia jabs in September and the pain I have experienced in my left arm and shoulder since then has been at times unbearable. My left arm and hand are numb on occasions.

Flu Vaccination - Side Effects Question: Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?