Patient Comments: Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with the flu shot.

Comment from: Holly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

Twice now I have had a reaction to the flu vaccine. This was after having an annual flu shot with no reaction or problem for about 8 years. The first time I had a reaction, I had the flu shot at a pharmacy. They told me to wait there 45 minutes to 1 hour. At about 45 minutes, my throat was scratchy and I was hoarse. The symptoms abated in about 2 hours. I talked to my doctor about it. He said not to have another flu shot since the reaction could be worse the second time. I went without a flu shot for 4 years as a result. My doctor retired, and I went to a new doctor who wanted me to have a flu shot. I recounted my experience and he suggested having the shot in the office so I could get medical help immediately if necessary. I was reluctant but finally agreed. I had the shot and within 30 minutes (15 minutes shorter time than the first time), I had the identical reaction. The doctor gave me a Zyrtec and had me wait another half hour to hour. The soreness in my throat decreased a little. He examined me and said my throat was not closing. I think I will not have another shot. I think the first doctor was right. It was worse the second time. My throat was sore overnight but by the next day I was fine.

Comment from: Flibityjibbit, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 05

My mother had the flu shot on a Tuesday morning. The next day she couldn't breathe, an ambulance was called and she went to the hospital. She had no symptoms of any illness before the shot, but was diagnosed with a severe lung infection (she never has had one before). A fever of 39.5 and low oxygen levels and low blood pressure (BP). Her BP is usually high. I wonder if it was the flu shot. Two weeks on and two different antibiotics and she is still unwell.

Comment from: Minimoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I got my first flu shot this year and woke up the next morning with terrible vertigo; room spinning, exhausted, and nauseous. I'm still suffering from dizziness 6 weeks later. Vestibular tests say it is not my ears, but they deny it could be the vaccine. Wish I could find an answer, I want my brain back.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I have had bad pain and aches in arm where l had the flu injection. That was six weeks ago. I am also very tired and cannot sleep as arm aches so much.

Comment from: ouchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have been getting flu shots for years with no side effects and generally 'pooh-pooh' the idea that you can get sick from them based on the research. However, yesterday, I got the flu shot at work. By the evening I was very fatigued and went to bed early. I slept horrible last night with body aches and having to get up to urinate about 6 times. I am also coughing up a bit of unexplained chest congestion. Other posts have said that it goes away in a few days so I am hoping that mine will be the same way. Not good to be sick over the holidays and I still haven't gotten my tree!

Comment from: Victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had flu jab 6 weeks ago and I am experiencing pain and stiffness in the arm of site of injection. I will follow up with doctor if continues another week.

Comment from: Nothankyou, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I am a doctor (MD) mandated by my state to take the flu shot. I took it Monday night around 7 pm. By 3 am I had rigors (shaking chills), headache and in the morning when I woke up I had full body ache and a fever of 101. Today, I had to call out from work (first time ever) because of a continued fever and headache. I am a young active healthy adult, and a doctor and still getting over the effects, I will never take a flu shot again. I will gladly wear the mask.

Flu Vaccination - Side Effects Question: Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?