Patient Comments: Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with the flu shot.

Comment from: Flibityjibbit, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 05

My mother had the flu shot on a Tuesday morning. The next day she couldn't breathe, an ambulance was called and she went to the hospital. She had no symptoms of any illness before the shot, but was diagnosed with a severe lung infection (she never has had one before). A fever of 39.5 and low oxygen levels and low blood pressure (BP). Her BP is usually high. I wonder if it was the flu shot. Two weeks on and two different antibiotics and she is still unwell.

Comment from: Minimoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I got my first flu shot this year and woke up the next morning with terrible vertigo; room spinning, exhausted, and nauseous. I'm still suffering from dizziness 6 weeks later. Vestibular tests say it is not my ears, but they deny it could be the vaccine. Wish I could find an answer, I want my brain back.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I have had bad pain and aches in arm where l had the flu injection. That was six weeks ago. I am also very tired and cannot sleep as arm aches so much.

Comment from: ouchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have been getting flu shots for years with no side effects and generally 'pooh-pooh' the idea that you can get sick from them based on the research. However, yesterday, I got the flu shot at work. By the evening I was very fatigued and went to bed early. I slept horrible last night with body aches and having to get up to urinate about 6 times. I am also coughing up a bit of unexplained chest congestion. Other posts have said that it goes away in a few days so I am hoping that mine will be the same way. Not good to be sick over the holidays and I still haven't gotten my tree!

Comment from: Nothankyou, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I am a doctor (MD) mandated by my state to take the flu shot. I took it Monday night around 7 pm. By 3 am I had rigors (shaking chills), headache and in the morning when I woke up I had full body ache and a fever of 101. Today, I had to call out from work (first time ever) because of a continued fever and headache. I am a young active healthy adult, and a doctor and still getting over the effects, I will never take a flu shot again. I will gladly wear the mask.

Comment from: Victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had flu jab 6 weeks ago and I am experiencing pain and stiffness in the arm of site of injection. I will follow up with doctor if continues another week.

Comment from: perki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have a number of health issues so I realize the flu shot is worth it for me as my immunity is poor. Nothing major ever happens to me after having it but always some minor symptoms. This time I had nightmares literally all night that I was battling a dark force in various formats and plots. This only tends to happen when fighting infections for me, so makes me wonder what on earth was in that thing that my body was trying so hard to fight off! I'm shattered today and a bit run down, slightly sore arm, etc., but otherwise ok.

Comment from: Suzy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

On October 1 I had the flu jab and in a few hours my arm was so stiff and painful I couldn't lift it. For 3 days after I had a fever and just slept. My arm took over a week to get better. From day 4 I was being jolted awake around 4 times a night and hallucinating. This continued for around 4 weeks. It was very frightening. My doctor said he thought I had a very toxic reaction to the jab. This seems to have diminished now but I have tingling all over my body and get very dizzy at times. Some nights I lay awake and my whole body feels alive as every nerve seems to be on edge even my face and mouth. I don't know how long this is going to last. I definitely won't be having any more flu jabs. I have had them for over 10 years but never had any problems before and I haven't got any other health problems.

Flu Vaccination - Side Effects Question: Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?