Patient Comments: Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with the flu shot.

Comment from: utah-mountain-man, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I received the shot yesterday. I get a flu shot every year and have never had side effects. This morning I woke up extremely tired with no energy. My left shoulder is also sore. I am not used to feeling lethargic so I'm attributing this to the shot. I did do a lot of physical work after the shot but that's my norm.

Comment from: Viewfromjasper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

During the night following my first ever flu shot, the crook of my right arm erupted in a lumpy red rash. It is not sore or itchy. The injection site, same arm higher up, is absolutely fine. I showed it to the general physician who said it wasn't the shot, but a reaction to something else. Later in the day, I noticed same rash on the top of both thighs that was starting to creep up towards the rib cage. It is a bit sore this time. I have applied aloe vera and monitoring it closely!

Comment from: ajw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had the flu shot two days ago and outside of soreness, which I expected, I now have a red rash at the site of injection. It does not itch, but feels hot to the touch and is a bit swollen. I feel fine, just concerned as this is the first time I have experienced some swelling, soreness and a big red splotchy rash.

Comment from: Tracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I got the flu shot on Thursday. On Sunday I started showing symptoms, because I was feeling bad but didn't know why. Monday evening I came down with a 102 fever and chills. It lasted all day Tuesday. Wednesday I'm feeling better but weak.

Comment from: machin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had the flu jab 2 weeks ago and although I am finally getting over feeling so totally ill like I have never been before, my arm is still throbbing, not continually but every 5 minutes or so I get a few seconds of throbbing. I will not have the flu jab again.

Comment from: Flu chaser, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had the flu shot on Thursday, got a headache on Friday and Saturday it's still here; but worse was the dizziness and palpitations I had earlier. I had to lie down for half an hour, I am still feeling a little lightheaded. I just took two Advil, hope it helps.

Comment from: Ellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had flu shots before, I get a sore injection site but that's about it. This year however had a shot by a nurse at the hospital I work and 3 weeks later the arm hurts worse than ever, especially at night and first thing in morning. The whole shoulder hurts. Starting deep at the injection site, I can feel a lump, pain spreads into shoulder joint like a heaviness and weakness especially when I try to move my arm to side. I finally saw my doctor on Thursday and took an MRI on Friday, so hopefully I will know something soon.

Comment from: Dr. Mom, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My son is 26. He went for a regular doctor visit yesterday (he is a Type I diabetic). The doctor insisted he get a flu shot. He got sick in the night with a high fever, chills and body aches. His fever is hovering around 103. I'm not sure what to do.

Comment from: Brubst, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

I am a healthcare worker and was required by my employer to get a flu shot. In the past, I have always opted out, choosing to let my own immune system fight off colds and flu. Needless to say, since the shot, I've experienced everything from severe low back pain (kidney stone symptoms), migraine headaches that lasted for over a week, and the last two days vertigo to the point where I have to sit down immediately so I don't fall down.

Flu Vaccination - Side Effects Question: Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?