Patient Comments: Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with flu shot.

Comment from: brian, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 13

As a very fit and able 83 year old I had the 2013 flu jab as I had not previously had any problems. Four days after this year's one I went down with a very bad cold which just went on and on (5weeks) and I am still not back to normal. Several of my friends have had a bad reaction, the same as myself and we all will not have a flu jab again. I do not care what the "experts" say, this jab caused my problem.

Comment from: loret49, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I received the flu shot and within the next 2 weeks I started having severe muscle pain, could not lift my arms over my head, and am still experiencing debilitating pain and soreness in all muscles of my body, down to my hips and legs but mostly in the shoulder, neck, and arms. I have never had this pain before in my life. I will never get a flu shot again and am hoping this goes away soon.

Comment from: Flumist father, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My son had a FluMist administered about 1:30 PM; around 11:30 PM he awoke to use the restroom, while using the restroom started yelling about his head hurting. He described having a throbbing headache near the base at the back of the head, which then radiated up towards the top. He showed no other side effects earlier in the day. He was administered a dose of ibuprofen and provided a cool water bottle. Symptom seems to have subsided by 12:10. Will monitor for further symptom issues.

Comment from: Dave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I've been having constant pain in my upper and lower extremities since the flu shot on 11/6/12. I have had numerous EMGs (electromyogram), MRIs, and CTs. In addition to having PTS (post traumatic stress), I was diagnosed with post flu shot inflammation causing lumbar radiculopathy and Parsonage-Turner syndrome on the right arm/shoulder.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 21

I was forced to get this or I would lose my job! I have had horrible sickness in the past. I have severe arm pain, headache, nausea and dizziness.

Comment from: G-girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I got the flu and pneumonia shot on 10/22/13. My arm at the injection site really hurt, was swollen and discolored for about 4 days after the injection. On 11/3/2013 I got a sore throat, headache, runny nose, and a fever at 102.1 being the highest. I had bad body aches, my fingers even hurt. This condition lasted only 4 days. I am 73 years old.

Comment from: retired lady, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

My reaction to the flu shot was most unpleasant. I felt the needle prick then felt hot burning sensation (similar to fire ant bites) as the vaccine was injected. The injection site is red, swollen and painful for over 24 hours now. Every joint aches, even my fingers. I feel feverish and weak. No more flu shots for me. I will take chances next year. The shot's side effects are like having the flu anyway.

Comment from: nevergettingitagain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I got the flu shot in Oct 2013. I had not received it since 2006. First my arm was a little sore. I didn't worry about it, but about 2 weeks later, my throat hurt so bad it caused me to lose my voice. I took 2 1/2 days off work. I got this shot at my doctor's advice because I'm diabetic. Then I went into coughing spells that kept me up all night. I was waiting for the cough to produce mucus but it was so dry, my chest and stomach muscles hurt when I coughed. I started having night sweats and I thought this was from perimenopause! I found myself taking Alka-Seltzer plus for cold, didn't work, NyQuil for cough, didn't work. Then I took Mucinex for cough and it worked a little. I started sneezing today at work, now my nose is running! I will be calling my doctor first thing in the morning. Never ever will I be getting this shot again!

Flu Vaccination - Side Effects Question: Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?