Patient Comments: Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with the flu shot.

Comment from: Dr. ZZ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

This year, 2014, I had a side effect from a preservative-free flu shot. Years ago, after the regular flu shot, the next morning my whole arm was red. It did not hurt! So for the last 6 years I have been getting the flu shot with no preservatives with no problem. However, this year about 1 hour after the shot my arm hurt from my shoulder to thumb. I did not get any sleep that night and Tylenol did not help. Next day it eased up, however, after not sleeping, I could not go to work. I was like a Zombie! Three days later I had mild pain. I am going to consult an allergist before I get another shot!

Comment from: dee, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 04

I received my flu shot on Sunday, October 25, 2014. I had swelling and red bruising on my arm, and that night I had sore throat, with lot of coughing and runny nose till next day. One week later I still have the bruising and my arm is still sore. I get the flu shot for 20 years, never got sick.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

This is the first time that I have had a flu shot, always being afraid that once I received one, I would have side effects. Well, guess what, I got my shot on Tuesday and have felt horrible since. Symptoms started with dizziness and severe headache, progressing to aches throughout my body, red and watering eyes, and now sore throat and swollen glands. I feel horrible 4 days later. Not sure if I ever want another shot.

Comment from: bunni, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I have had the flu jab for three years now with no problems. One week ago I had it for this year and since then I have had symptoms similar to flu with shivering, sweating, headaches and dreadful tiredness (trouble staying awake). Also now I developed stomach pains too. I wish I hadn't bothered this year and may not bother next.

Comment from: marilyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Four hours after receiving a double dose flu shot (I'm over 65), my arm started to throb and was progressively sore. Day 2, I was fatigued and hurt all over. Day 3 and 4, I had a sore throat and continued to be fatigued. Day 5 to 7, I broke out into a head and chest cold. I had a headache. I was so congested that I went through a box of tissues, blowing my nose every few minutes. I have had these same symptoms about every two years, but never after a flu shot.

Comment from: INPAIN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I got the flu shot at work on September 24, 2014, like I do every year. A couple of days later I noticed sore arm. I'm still waiting for relief 3 weeks later. I am doing acupuncture and taking Advil. Hope this helps soon!

Comment from: Millie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had the flu injection 5 days ago. My arm is still hurting and I have general aches all over. Two days after the injection I got a sore throat. I feel generally unwell, like I'm fighting off a cold. I also feel really tired and have got a tickly cough. I was absolutely fine before the jab. I had a similar reaction about 4 years ago, I was fine after subsequent ones until this year.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had the flu shot late September and one day after receiving it I felt like I had the flu. I haven't felt myself since. I'm very tired, achy and have a mild sore throat.

Flu Vaccination - Side Effects Question: Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?