Patient Comments: Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with flu shot.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I received the preservative-free flu vaccine on Tuesday and woke up today, Sunday, with such pain and stiffness in my shoulder, I could hardly get dressed. During the day it has gotten worse and is in both shoulders. My wrists and fingers are so stiff and painful I can feel every letter I type. No other symptoms, so it has taken all day for me to realize it was probably a reaction to the injection. I am generally in good health for age 70 but take Synthroid daily and recently started treatment for itchy scalp and face which my physician has diagnosed as seborrhea. That is probably accurate since that started the week before the shot. I asked him if it would interfere with the vaccine and he said not, so I went ahead. Either one of these was enough to make me cry, now I am dealing with both.

Comment from: Jet, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I never get the flu shot, but this year I felt so much pressure to get it that I made appointments for my whole family. Luckily my husband and kids were okay after their shots, but the day after my shot is when the neck pain and headache began. It turned into a full blown migraine that lasted for 3 full days. By the third day I was so sick and nauseous I couldn't keep anything down. I called in sick to work and went back to the doctor (my mother had to drive me because I couldn't see straight with the searing pain in my head) and they injected me with anti-nausea medication Zofran, and Vicodin (both of which did nothing!). It took about another 2 days after that to start feeling like myself again. I will never get the flu shot again.

Comment from: tim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I had a flu shot on December 19th, and the spot where the shot was injected in the muscle on my upper left arm is so sore it`s getting to the point of being unbearable. Prior to the shot I had shoulder surgery. I told the nurse and she always gives them in the left arm and the surgery shouldn't make a difference. Boy, was she wrong!

Comment from: Chappy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I got the flu shot 3 days ago for the first time. My arm was so sore for the first 2 days that I could barely get dressed, and sleeping was hard. My arm pain has decreased, but it is still sore. Now, I am terribly nauseous.

Comment from: skamoel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I had gotten the flu so bad about 20 years ago that my doctor told me to never go without a flu shot again, and I haven't. I have gotten through all the mild reactions to the shot. This year I got my routine yearly flu shot and had no side effects... until two weeks later to the day. My arm hurt so bad to move it. I could not lift my left arm at all! I have struggled for weeks just getting myself dressed and trying to do daily chores. There was good grip on my left hand, but did no good because I could not lift a thing. The health department told me that when I turn 65 they would give me a stronger shot. I don't think so! I doubt I will ever get one again. If the flu kills me, it kills me. It won't be from that shot.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a reaction exactly 8 hours after the flu shot. I had chills, terrible body aches, low grade fever for 12 hours and a headache for 3 days! The only reason I got the flu shot is because we had our 1st grand baby recently and I'll be helping take care of him.

Comment from: Amiela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had flu vaccine on 27th of November and a couple of hours later I noticed dizziness and this came and went over a few days lasting about half a second each time. At one point I felt as if the floor was dropping under me and thought maybe it was an earthquake but the feeling disappeared in one second. I started to feel slightly nauseous all the time as if I had morning sickness. I am single and post-menopausal. I feel weaker and had to cancel work. I am slightly better now but have less energy and feel spacey. I have had more muscle pains than usual and tension headaches. I will not have the flu vaccine again.

Flu Vaccination - Side Effects Question: Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?