Patient Comments: Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with the flu shot.

Comment from: Pattimac, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 24

I have had a severe headache for 2 days since taking my flu shot. The frustrating thing is we are mandated to take it at my work place. I'm going to refuse it next year.

Comment from: pwhitewhite, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I received the flu shot on October 30, 2015. The day after, I started having muscle and joint pain all over my body. But the pain was the worst in my legs. I was taking Tylenol with no relief. The pain was so bad I couldn't sleep at times. After 12 days the pain decreased. I'm still having muscle pain in my legs at times. I get flu shot every year for the last 29 years but I have never experienced side effects before.

Comment from: Gramma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 20

For years, I've been taking flu shots with no problem till this year. Within about ten days of my shot, I began to experience extreme shortness of breath, weakness, and atrial fibrillation. I am quite anemic, never a problem before. I am wondering if the flu shot was loaded with something else (I am a Kaiser person). I'm still not better.

Comment from: jenle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

This is the second time I have gotten a flu shot. I got it around October 20th. I have been in pain ever since. I have fatigue and constant joint and back pain. I wish I had not gotten it. I am hoping the joint pain ends soon; and wondering if it will worsen.

Comment from: shily3136, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 16

I received the flu vaccine in October of 2015 and have not felt well since. I am experiencing a daily low grade fever, have no energy, and have a chronic sore throat, sinus congestion, and wheezing in my lungs. I have refused the flu vaccine for a few years even though it is mandatory to have it working as a nurse in a hospital. I got tired of wearing a mask for months so decided to have a flu vaccine. Last year no side effects, this year I am miserable and know without a doubt it is from the flu vaccine.

Comment from: sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had a flu shot on Tuesday morning. Within 3 hours, I had a severe sore throat, tightness in my chest, very scary, headache, and fatigue. I don't think I will ever get a flu shot again. I'm still very tired and have a mild sore throat and cough.

Comment from: susan h., 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 11

I have had the flu vaccine for 20 years. I never once felt it could harm me. This year I have had continued joint pain and low energy since receiving the vaccine on October 1, 2015. Pain in neck, hips, and back and my usual mild arthritis in my fingers have increased severely, to the point I am taking anti-inflammatory medicines.

Comment from: gonenorths, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I am 70 and my husband is 80. We had our flu and pneumonia shots two weeks ago on the same day. He got sick about 5 days later, sweats, nausea, head congestion, and weakness. On week two I got ill. It started with incredible weakness. I couldn't stay awake. Then I had sweats and fever and now coughing. I feel very dizzy and weak. I am never sick. I don't know if I should go to the emergency or my doctor. We have our flu shots every year and have had no side effects before. This is our first Prevnar 13 shot.

Flu Vaccination - Side Effects Question: Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?