Patient Comments: Fish Odor Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with fish odor syndrome in you or someone you know?

Comment from: CuriousAlso, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I used to have the fishy smell with bacterial vaginosis infections. But recently the only time I notice the smell (vaginal) is after eating even a very small taste of strong smelling fish, for e.g., smoked salmon. The only fish I can now eat, and only occasionally, is mild catfish and sometimes that may cause a slight fishy vaginal odor. Now I know what the expression "fisherman"s wife" means! Poor women. I"m going to try some dietary options. I wish you all well and thank you for sharing your stories.

Comment from: moah6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have a smell about me which seems like I have had my entire life. I am so self-conscious about smelling bad, that it has affected how I behave, who I sit next to, who I stand next to all my life. I am so clean in my personal hygiene and always have been, and yet I still smell. Now here"s the crazy thing, I can"t and never have been able to smell myself or name the bad smell that others are smelling, and I have always been too shy or embarrassed to ask. I plucked up the courage last week to ask my doctor if I smelled and she was no help at all. Maybe I have this fish odor syndrome or something like it.

Comment from: lucy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Sometimes I have a bad smell. When I'm nervous, I start to sweat and my hands smells and my breath smells bad. Brushing my teeth doesn't help. Neither does taking a bath. I've been having it for years, thinking that I'm the only one with this problem. I've been to so many doctors with no result. I don't have many friends and people stay away from me. Sometimes I feel depressed because I look healthy but there is something bad happening to me and I can't get help from my doctor.

Fish Odor Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your fish odor syndrome?
Fish Odor Syndrome - Treatment Question: Discuss your diagnosis of and treatment for fish odor syndrome.