Patient Comments: First Aid for Seizures - Experience

Please describe your experience with seizures.

Comment from: squeezer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My seizures started at 40, it took a while for me to move past denial and seek treatment. I ended up having a cavernous malformation (from birth but absolutely no issues until later in life). I had successful surgery and am now over 5 years seizure free but am still on carbamazepine. I want to try weaning off the medications but at the same time I do not want another seizure (its terrible waking up to your kids scared faces). Although I detest what the medicines do to me, I am leaning towards staying on the medications, keeping my job and license and not having the worry of another seizure. Denial is a large part of my illness. I still get angry when my doctor tells me I"m an epileptic and that is a big part of this illness. There is a stigma attached that I have a hard time dealing with and yet I know how lucky I am that medications can help this illness (it's just the meds are so strong). I feel better for sharing, thank you all and good luck.

Comment from: Greg, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I have been having grand mal seizures since 1996. Multiple head injuries was the cause. I am alcoholic and most seizures have been triggered by alcohol. They have been lasting longer and more violent.

Comment from: A.M. LAZO, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

When I get my seizures I blackout. After a while I ask my family or my friends what happened to me.

Comment from: JRazo85, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was first diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 15 years old, and I am 28 now. In 2005, I had a left temporal lobectomy which helped a lot, but had a down side also. I used to have grand mal seizures every couple monthes with partial seizures every month during the week of my menstrual cycle. Now, I have a grand mal seizure maybe 2-4 times a year. But I still continue to have partial seizures every month during the week of my menstrual. They are mainly just blackouts, lasting just a minute or two, and sometimes no one can notice. The bad results of the surgery was that it has destroyed my long term and short term memory, concentration, and attention. It's as though I suddenly got ADHD now! But regardless, I am so grateful the grand mal seizures have ceased to a minimum, and I know when to expect the black outs. I'm too old now for any other operations and they already took out a piece of my brain! I'm just telling my story because I pray for all the little kids who have epilepsy and I hope with all this new technology and new discoveries that they can get help someway. I wish all these little kids all the help they can get. It's not easy having epilepsy. Be strong!

First Aid for Seizures - Causes Question: Do you or does someone you know suffer from seizures? If so, what was the cause?
First Aid for Seizures - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms experienced with seizures?
First Aid for Seizures - Assist Question: Have you had to assist a person suffering a seizure? Please describe the experience.