Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: sunnydee, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 25

I think the procedure is different for everyone as there are variables such as who is performing the procedure and size and location of the nodules. I know many who have had a fine-needle aspiration of thyroid with no problems but unfortunately I was not one of them. It was very uncomfortable and hurt from beginning to end and hurt for 2 days after. I am pretty good when it comes to pain but had to stop and take a break in the middle due to the pain and the only reason I didn't stop is because I didn't want to come back to do it again. I now have to have one on the other side and I am definitely not looking forward to it by any means.

Comment from: Jackie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had fine-needle aspiration biopsy of my thyroid done twice and am now headed for my third. The actual taking of the sample isn't that painful, but lying on my back and having my head tilted makes me feel nauseated and lightheaded. This was the most anxiety inducing procedure I have had. I am hoping to have a sedative prescribed.

Comment from: Shannon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a fine needle aspiration to my thyroid two days ago, and today I have a very hard lump in the thyroid area and there seems to be swelling around my neck. I don't know if this is normal, I am very concerned.

Comment from: jes46, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of my thyroid today for 2 nodules, so multiple sticks. No lidocaine was used. The procedure hurt minimally. It really wasn't bad. I do have a kind of sore throat on one side which may have been caused by the procedure since I was fine before it. No big deal at least for me.

Comment from: Eflash05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid done a little over 24 hours ago. My nodule is deep and low, just above my collarbone, so that may affect why it felt the way it did. I had 4 needles for specimen collection, and 1 for lidocaine. The lidocaine burned a little, but it was over soon. I mostly just felt pressure where they had the needles in and moved them around to scratch the site. The doctor had to push on my throat with the ultrasound wand the whole time to keep it in place, and that hurt very much. About 3 minutes of being strangled, really. There was also sharp pain in my jaw even following the procedure. It's not as bad is it was yesterday, so I'm not sure if I clenched a muscle or if it hit a nerve as the radiation technician suggested. My whole neck is very sore today even following the ice and Motrin advice they gave me. I generally have a high tolerance for pain, I'd say this was worse than an epidural but better that conscious surgery.

Comment from: Melly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had done two days ago, fine-needle aspiration biopsy of 3 thyroid nodules, 5 samples on each, 15 total aspirations. Five of the 15 were painless, but the rest hurt. Two days later I still feel bad. I'm wondering if my thyroid is fighting back. It hurts to swallow and I've had clammy hands and chills.

Comment from: Cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had a fine needle aspiration biopsy of my thyroid today and it was the worst thing I have ever done in my life. They only put numbing spray on the area and then began. I felt like I was being choked! I won't do it again. I was poked 5 times.

Comment from: jmugswife72, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I just had a fine-needle aspiration done yesterday for thyroid nodules (4 grape size and 1 pea size) and I can say that being a WebMD doctor and YouTube University graduate, I definitely scared myself for nothing! My doctor gave me a needle to numb and then a minute later proceeded with the biopsies. The procedure was virtually painless, and it took about 10 minutes. I felt a little pressure once he did the biopsy, but nothing bad and I am the biggest scaredy-cat, so if you have a good doctor, you should be fine. I get my results the end of the week so fingers crossed.

Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy - Complications Question: What complications did you experience following your fine needle aspiration biopsy?
Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy - Results Question: What were the results of your fine needle aspiration biopsy?