Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Brandilittle, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 13

I have had 2 fine needle aspiration biopsies of my thyroid since March 2016. Mine were the most painful procedures I've ever been through and that includes my epidural and spinal for 2 C-sections. My procedures were done by 2 different doctors, so it isn't the doctor. The numbing medication was very painful because of the burning but the needles were excruciating. My nodule is almost 3 cm big and deep on the left side. If you didn't feel pain you are very lucky. My first one left a sore throat and coughing for 3 weeks. The one today is very tender as I just had it done 3 hours ago.

Comment from: DC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I got fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid done today about 3 hours ago. It was not painful at all. I had gone through pain during a visit to a dentist as a 9 year old and have had an intense fear of needles anywhere other than the elbow ever since. My fear was so intense that I could not sleep the whole night yesterday. The truth was the opposite. The needle is thin. The initial prick is a lesser sensation than while giving blood samples. It was the pressure while the needle is inside that I had been worrying about. Turned out it was more like someone rubbing a finger over the spot, no more. I am writing this with the hope that everyone will have the same experience.

Comment from: MMFT, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I had the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid done June 18th, 2016. It hurt very much. The nodules that samples were taken from were deep in the right lobe. I am not sure of what the numbing medication they injected me with was, but it had no effect. Three samples were taken. I iced the area on and off for the rest of the day. I had a swollen area beneath the injection sights and soreness that lasted a few days.

Comment from: Mzz Reecie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I had this fine-needle aspiration thyroid biopsy yesterday, June 3rd and it was not pleasant at all. First I have to say that those who say it didn't hurt, good you were lucky. I think it has to do with the location of the nodule; mine was located deep in the lower left node. The nodule is 2 cm and has blood flow. I had 4 draws after the lidocaine injection. It felt like he was pressing on my windpipe and then it felt like he was choking me. It got worse after each needle. By the time he started with the last needle I was close to tears, and when he asked the nurse if she saw anything in the needle, the thought of a 5th needle was unbearable. The nurse confirmed there was something in the last needle and then it was over. It took 5 minutes for me to calm down, my neck was very sore. By the time I got to the bathroom it was swollen. I immediately took Tylenol. So again to those who had pleasant experiences count yourselves lucky.

Comment from: sanrox, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

Let me start by saying I hate needles, so when I was told I needed to have the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid I was upset. I felt the prick of the needles for the local anesthetic, and the cold of the lidocaine. After that all I felt was the pressure of the doctor's fingers and the ultrasound device. The procedure took about an hour and they took 8 biopsies and once they looked at them, came back for 3 more. I have a small bruise on my neck and took an Aleve and used the icepack for a few minutes. It was very easy and now I feel silly for being so worried.

Comment from: thyroid mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I wanted to say that I had a fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid on 3 nodules last week, and also had this done 8 years ago. The doc took 5 biopsies from each of 3 nodules. I agree with others, not a pleasant procedure. It took 2 hours. It took one week to get my results and all biopsies are indeterminate; they believe this is because of my Hashimoto's. I have very high antibodies in the 1800 to 2000 range depending on the blood test. So the doctors are just suggesting a wait and repeat in 6 months to a year.

Comment from: ahealthyperson, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of thyroid. I had no sedation. I had the injection of lidocaine which did burn and felt like a sting. I had three full needles full of blood and cells on each side. I was left with a huge bruise and a small round white blister above the injection site on both sides. My neck was so sore and still is 5 days later. I had a terrible headache after and could hardly talk. He was making little stabs for about 2 minutes 3 times on each side. It hurts when I cough and breathe, all the way down my throat. I have not received results yet. Not a pleasant procedure at all.