Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had a FNB today. Was told it would be a small needle, feel like a pinch. I have a very high pain threshold. The doctor did not offer or suggest anesthesia or even Tylenol. Only one needle was used and he put pressure on three areas. It was extremely painful. I would suggest to anyone having this procedure to ask for a topical numbing solution, take a Tylenol and a xanal ahead of time. I would have chosen to have an anesthesia injected, even if it meant 2 sticks because the second stick (procedure) would not have been felt if I had been numb.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had a FNB done with 15 needles on 3 nodules. They had to repeat two of them. I've had this done on both breasts and expected the same amount of pain (minimal) as when those were done. It wasn't - the pain was intense and three days later I'm still bruised and sore. I was told that the reason was where the lumps were located within the thyroid. One close to my clavicle and the other was near a nerve.

Comment from: Little tree, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

FNA on 3 nodules Monday. Used Lidocaine. 12 needles total. Have a high pain tolerance, but still felt it due to what the Dr. said was "nerve connections"-ears & teeth hurt. Was okay the next couple of hours, but throat hurt that night. Wished I was told to expect after effects ie: yawning, sneezing, swallowing and moving my head were painful the first day after. Had to take off work last minute. Wish I had planned for time off after but glad I had someone with me during it to keep me calm and relaxed.

Comment from: Me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had this procedure performed today -- several needles for two nodules. I had asked the doctor what to expect (on a scale of one to 10) for pain, and he said a three. After the procedure, I told him it wasn't even a one! I have no tolerance for pain, but this procedure was not painful. I have had much more pain at the dentist! I certainly won't lose any sleep over it if I have to have it performed again. And I had no anesthetic!

Comment from: be, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am not a wimp. I have a high threshold for pain. Admittedly, I was nervous about the fine-needle aspiration and took half of a valium. I was injected with lidocaine but apparently not enough. I had three passes on each side plus the pain reliever. My procedure took more than 20 minutes and not enough cells were obtained on one side, and the other side was bloody, rendering it inconclusive. The good news was that everything tested was benign. However, I felt I went through a lot of pain and anguish for nothing. Now I am to have another ultra sound in three to four months to monitor the nodules. I am very sore on one side of my neck.

Comment from: cynthz143, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I just had my 2nd Fine-Needle Aspiration yesterday. The first one my doctor did was really amazing because the nodule was gone and I can hardly feel it until it came back again after 3 months so I requested my doctor to do it again. It has always been benign and they only found fluid in the isthmus. The 2nd FNA wasn't as good as the first one because when I woke up this morning, I can still feel the nodule :( I don't know if someone can advise me not to go or to go on my scheduled surgery on September 14. Someone told me that if the nodule is fluid filled it can be removed through aspiration.

Comment from: GreenEyedLadyUSA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have left a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of my thyroid twice because I cannot go through with it. I have previously been strapped down and tortured by a spinal injection and many other procedures. I have a serious spine issue and have a double fusion in my neck, and need more fusions. I am not only afraid they will torture me, I am afraid they will put my head in a position and hurt my neck and damage my spine more. This nodule is so big now it is affecting my ability to speak and swallow. I am terrified because I feel like I am slowly choking to death, but that is preferable to my extreme fear of pain and injury.

Comment from: Gary, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 23

For me, the fine-needle aspiration of thyroid hurt terribly. I hope I do not ever have to do it again.