Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: waiting5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I had my fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid done yesterday. They did numb me up first but that was painful. My neck is very tender and my nodule that is on the left side of my thyroid looks to have tripled in size since my ultrasound seven weeks ago. I had six very long needles placed deep into my neck and there was this bobbing up and down a lot of for each sample that was taken. It hurt like crazy and I am very sore today. I'm happy to see others had a better experience than I did.

Comment from: Theuniqueldy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had a biopsy and fine needle aspiration a week on both sides of my thyroid. Eleven sticks later including 3 Lidocaine injections, the pain of the needle aspiration (7 sticks) was unreal for one and a half days. Now the needle aspiration area just hurts when I cough. I hope to hear on the biopsy of the solid thyroid cyst and the 4.5cc from the fluid filled cyst soon.

Comment from: bassin08, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a FNA (fine-needle aspiration) done today. I have 3 nodules on my thyroid. They froze the 3 areas and took 8 samples from each. I hardly felt anything after the freezing.

Comment from: KellyD, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I had a FNA done in October 2012 because of a large mass found on my thyroid. The doctor that performed it was absolutely amazing thankfully and explained everything so well and I had someone from the lab checking slides after each pass to see if they had collected enough of the right type of tissue. I received a shot of lidocaine which hurt like crazy and they began the passes after three passes they still didn't have enough viable tissue and had to move further down the mass which wasn't numb. Truly though the four passes they did on the part that wasn't numb hurt a lot less than the shot of lidocaine did initially. So I had eight different "stick" points and it definitely hurt for about two days after but ice and not straining my neck helped a lot. My test results came back negative for malignancy but unfortunately I'm part of the 1 percent that wasn't diagnosed and when I had the mass removed about six weeks later I found out it was papillary carcinoma and they ended up removing the entire mass. Thankfully I had a doctor that pushed to have more testing done and it was caught but please if you feel something is wrong and your doctor dismisses your concerns get a second opinion. I've had this for 5-6 years and before switching doctors had every symptom you could think of that indicated thyroid problems but blood tests always came back normal.

Comment from: Stacy Mo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Just got a fine-needle aspiration today and it was very painful. I didn't have any numbing agent ahead of time and there was 3 passes with the needle. You have to keep very still and not breathe or swallow while they are in there, which is very hard to do. It has been 12 hours and I am still in pain and having difficulty swallowing, let's hope tomorrow is a better day. For anyone who is having this done, try not to stress, it is painful, I am not going to lie, but it isn't as bad as some would say.

Comment from: Charllie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

Had FNB March 16. Many passes I can't remember with the needles under local anesthetic. There was no pain during procedure just a little pressure and weird sensation as the needles were moved up and down to get samples. I felt great afterwards with only a little soreness at biopsy site. Later in evening I started feeling awful. I had swelling and found I was allergic to the latex band aid so I got a rash. Next morning I was exhausted and had pain and bruising. I had difficulty drinking, eating and turning my head. It has been 2 weeks and the site of the biopsy is still very tender. Tests came back inconclusive possible Follicular Neoplasm or benign Hyperplasia. Going to see neurologist soon to see what he has to say. I'd say worst part of this is all the waiting and how long it takes to get tests and see doctors.

Comment from: kab, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had a FNB today and the procedure went fine. I think the worst part was getting the lidocaine shot to numb the area (it stings for about 30 seconds) but after that, I couldn't feel anything so I just tried to focus on being still so the doctor could get the samples and that part went pretty quick. It's been about two hours since I had the procedure and my neck is sore but it's nothing bad (I'm actually back in the office at work).