Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Relief 2014, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had FNA (fine-needle aspiration) procedure for my thyroid. I was well informed before the procedure. I was numbed with lidocaine at the thyroid site; felt like a bee sting, not painful. Three passes were made in each nodule to acquire sufficient cells. I felt absolutely nothing. It took approximately 10 minutes tops. I was given outpatient instructions, and ice pack for the area and went home. No incidents!

Comment from: azlady10, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I received a lidocaine injection prior to my FNA (fine-needle aspiration) of thyroid. It gave me a hot burning sensation but it didn"t last. I then had 5 passes in my module. Three were around the outside and the last two in the center. I had hardly any feeling, just a dull pressure was present at the time, quick and simple. I bruise easily so it looks bad from the outside but never had any pain afterwards.

Comment from: Momscaregiver, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I finally had my FNAP (fine needle aspiration biopsy) today on a 6mm nodule with a halo calcification. I have a high tolerance for pain but after reading some of the reviews I was quite nervous! Let me just say, it was a piece of cake! The doctor that performed the biopsy was awesome; the needle to numb the area stung a bit for a few seconds but that was it. She did three passes and got a good enough sample with the three punctures. My neck is a little bit sore right now but nothing to really talk about. Now it's just one more week to wait for the results, I've waited six weeks to be biopsied so I guess 7 more days isn't too bad. To anyone waiting for an FNAB, try not to worry too much about the pain it really wasn't bad at all! Good Luck.

Comment from: Kathleen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had a fine needle ultrasound guided biopsy last Friday. The doctor told me that he would numb it first, spent about 5 minutes using 3 needles/samples on a 3.5 cm solid nodule. After the 3 shots I asked how long the procedure will be. The doctor looked at me and smiled! Told me that I was finished. I've had flu shots that have hurt worse. This was a piece of cake! I'm still waiting on the test results, extremely fatigued, sore neck, ear aches here & there, swollen neck and up to the back if the neck. Do not be afraid, it is a simple procedure.

Comment from: debbydo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a FNB (fine needle biopsy) using ultrasound, of a nodule in my thyroid today 12/10/13. My doctor prescribed 3mg Xanax before I went to bed last night. Another 1/2 Xanax upon waking up, another 1/2 Xanax 1 hour before procedure. I also took 3 ibuprofen before the FNB. I was a little "loopy". The procedure was at 3:30 PM. I was so relaxed and calm. He sprayed a freezing numbing solution on my neck. I was given an ice pack to use afterward to bring home. There was no pain at all! I couldn't believe it after reading all the horror stories online. My husband was also invited into the procedure room to be with me.

Comment from: Phyllis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

On 10/4/2013 I had a FNA (fine-needle aspiration) of 3.3, 2.6, 2.4 cm mass on my right thyroid. I also have a nodule on the left side that is smaller than 1cm so the doctor did not feel it required testing at this time. I was Nervous but for nothing! It was a simple procedure, not exactly painless but almost. Mostly pressure and a pricking sensation. I will be going for results this morning 10/10/2013 at 10 AM. I am hoping for some answers and to start therapy to feel better.

Comment from: Lady B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Hi. I just had a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of my thyroid biopsy performed today. I was very nervous leading up to this procedure, as I have never had a needle put in my neck. I was told I had three nodules in my thyroid gland which one was a concern. I only received a topical numbing gel over my neck. I have a very low tolerance for pain and I was a nervous wreck. To my surprise, I did not feel the first needle stick, I barely felt the second stick, and with the third stick a small sting. There was very little pressure. Overall this procedure was a piece of cake. I am thankful it was not painful at all. I did very well and thanks to my doctor who performed such an amazing job at keeping it painless.