Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Little tree, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

FNA on 3 nodules Monday. Used Lidocaine. 12 needles total. Have a high pain tolerance, but still felt it due to what the Dr. said was "nerve connections"-ears & teeth hurt. Was okay the next couple of hours, but throat hurt that night. Wished I was told to expect after effects ie: yawning, sneezing, swallowing and moving my head were painful the first day after. Had to take off work last minute. Wish I had planned for time off after but glad I had someone with me during it to keep me calm and relaxed.

Comment from: Me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had this procedure performed today -- several needles for two nodules. I had asked the doctor what to expect (on a scale of one to 10) for pain, and he said a three. After the procedure, I told him it wasn't even a one! I have no tolerance for pain, but this procedure was not painful. I have had much more pain at the dentist! I certainly won't lose any sleep over it if I have to have it performed again. And I had no anesthetic!

Comment from: be, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am not a wimp. I have a high threshold for pain. Admittedly, I was nervous about the fine-needle aspiration and took half of a valium. I was injected with lidocaine but apparently not enough. I had three passes on each side plus the pain reliever. My procedure took more than 20 minutes and not enough cells were obtained on one side, and the other side was bloody, rendering it inconclusive. The good news was that everything tested was benign. However, I felt I went through a lot of pain and anguish for nothing. Now I am to have another ultra sound in three to four months to monitor the nodules. I am very sore on one side of my neck.

Comment from: cynthz143, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I just had my 2nd Fine-Needle Aspiration yesterday. The first one my doctor did was really amazing because the nodule was gone and I can hardly feel it until it came back again after 3 months so I requested my doctor to do it again. It has always been benign and they only found fluid in the isthmus. The 2nd FNA wasn't as good as the first one because when I woke up this morning, I can still feel the nodule :( I don't know if someone can advise me not to go or to go on my scheduled surgery on September 14. Someone told me that if the nodule is fluid filled it can be removed through aspiration.

Comment from: kp700, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had the thyroid fine-needle aspiration today and it was very painful. The numbing needle hurt worse. Six hours later it still hurts.

Comment from: Lynn Vaughan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I didn't feel a thing! My thyroid fine-needle aspiration was less than an ordinary blood test. Do not worry if you need to have this done, it was nothing.

Comment from: Kathleen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had a FNA biopsy of my 4 cm nodule this morning and it was PAINLESS. After a topical numbing agent was applied, the doctor took two passes with a needle so small that I couldn't feel a thing. He needed more samples, so he used a bigger needle for the third pass, but I honestly could not feel any difference, or for that matter, any sensation at all. There is a small mark on my throat where it went it, and now several hours later a tiny bit sore when I swallow, but that's it! The results were inconclusive, so I'm still waiting to hear from them. Don't worry about the procedure; it's over in no time!

Comment from: suziq_07, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a Fine needle biopsy done on a nodule on the left side of my thyroid on 7-12-13. I was EXTREMELY nervous and my blood pressure was up. If all the biopsies are like the one I had, don't be nervous, it was a piece of cake!! I got a shot of lidocane to numb it. It hurt just slightly, then one stick which I barely felt and it was all over within about 5 minutes. I have only had slight pain in my neck. So to all the people who are going to have this done, DO IT!! It's better to know if it is cancerous so you can get it out. The nurse told me I should know by Wednesday the results. Now it's the wait that is making me nervous...LOL!