Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: bam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I didn't have any numbing medication and the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid did not hurt much at all. I had 4 needle sticks with a back and forth motion with each. It just feels like a prick. I had very little soreness afterwards.

Comment from: telise25, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Maybe something went wrong with my fine needle aspiration (FNA) because I am in pain. I had FNA on Sunday, spent Monday in bed with 102 fever and today is Tuesday and it hurts to swallow. I contacted my doctor and he said it"s normal for 3 to 5 days, and to take a pain reliever. Everything I read about FNA said it wouldn"t hurt. I didn"t have any anesthetic and the needle pricks (4) were bad enough. Now I feel like a big sore lump in my throat. Fever did go down with Tylenol.

Comment from: Deb32, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I went in for a fine needle biopsy of my thyroid on May 16, 2014. I was told all I would feel was a little pressure. He injected the lidocaine and it was a little sting no big deal. When he started the biopsy it hurt a little bit so he gave some more lidocaine; he continued and the pain got worse. When he got to the second nodule the pain was so bad I had tears. He had to stop because it started bleeding. When I left the hospital I had no voice for 3 days and it hurt badly. To make matters worse the test results were inconclusive. I will have to repeat the test again in a few months.

Comment from: Hjane26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I thought the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid hurt a little when they did the biopsy itself (3 sticks). But I also had a huge cyst where they drained 3 syringes of fluid. It didn"t hurt much last night after having it done, but today it hurts so badly. I am not sure why it hurts more the day after, but it hurts to swallow, to talk, to chew food, to move my neck, to breathe. It all hurts pretty badly. I was not expecting this at all. Perhaps it is the location, or the draining of the cyst for me.

Comment from: Sabrina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I was scared out of my mind of being "stabbed" in the neck but it was totally fine. I didn"t feel the topical needle to numb it and the only thing I actually felt was some pressure when they were gathering the sample. All in all the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid was easy and there was nothing to be scared of. It helped that my doctor was absolutely awesome and funny.

Comment from: Carole, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just want to say that all you people you said bad things about the fine-needle aspiration of thyroid scared me. I barely felt the Novocain they gave me and did not feel anything but a little pressure. He did 2 needles and it was nothing. A little sore when I tilt my head back but as soon as it was done I went out to lunch. So please don"t worry about it like I did and was so upset for nothing. That is why I am posting now to let you know.

Comment from: tindong15, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had 2 fine needle aspirations of my thyroid, one in January 2014 and last week (19 March 2014). Both procedures went ok, had 3 samples on the first FNAB and 5 samples on the 2nd. I just took Panadol for the pain but I can still eat normally, though had bruise on the neck. I'm just waiting for the result on the second FNAB.

Comment from: Painful11, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

My thyroid nodule was only 1.6 cm or mm, not sure. So they had to use an ultrasound to guide the needle for the fine-needle aspiration. It"s almost 6 hours later and I"m still having pain like I got hit in the trachea. I can actually feel a lump when I swallow and it is painful. I couldn"t really feel the needle, but the ultrasound tool felt like it was crushing my trachea. I wonder if the doctor was too rough with me. Also it hurts to move my head from left to right.