Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Phyllis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

On 10/4/2013 I had a FNA (fine-needle aspiration) of 3.3, 2.6, 2.4 cm mass on my right thyroid. I also have a nodule on the left side that is smaller than 1cm so the doctor did not feel it required testing at this time. I was Nervous but for nothing! It was a simple procedure, not exactly painless but almost. Mostly pressure and a pricking sensation. I will be going for results this morning 10/10/2013 at 10 AM. I am hoping for some answers and to start therapy to feel better.

Comment from: Lady B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Hi. I just had a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of my thyroid biopsy performed today. I was very nervous leading up to this procedure, as I have never had a needle put in my neck. I was told I had three nodules in my thyroid gland which one was a concern. I only received a topical numbing gel over my neck. I have a very low tolerance for pain and I was a nervous wreck. To my surprise, I did not feel the first needle stick, I barely felt the second stick, and with the third stick a small sting. There was very little pressure. Overall this procedure was a piece of cake. I am thankful it was not painful at all. I did very well and thanks to my doctor who performed such an amazing job at keeping it painless.

Comment from: dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

After talking to people who said it was almost painless, I went into the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid procedure pretty upbeat. The numbing shot wasn't too bad and the staff said that was the worst part. Well... they were wrong. I told them after the first needle that it hurt but wasn't offered more numbing. The technician just said the nodule was small (10cc) and hard to reach. I had 10 needles. The initial poke didn't hurt, but when it touched the thyroid it was incredibly painful. I have an autoimmune disease, so perhaps my nerves are sensitive. Whatever the reason, my tears had filled up my ears by the time it was over.

Comment from: Patient X, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I've had two fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsies of my thyroid: one in 2008 and one in 2013. The latest was ultrasound-guided, so the doctor used the ultrasound to see exactly where she wanted to take the samples from. She took 5 samples each from 2 nodules. I was very anxious because the FNA biopsy I had in 2008 was quite traumatic - it wasn't ultrasound-guided, and I could really feel the pressure of him digging around a lot. He took at least 8 samples from one spot. Today, she gave me very generous doses of lidocaine and I honestly couldn't feel anything. I was so relieved! The right side of my lower neck is pretty swollen, a little sore, and is starting to look bruised. But the actual procedure this time was way, way better than the first time. I've been diagnosed with Graves disease and have a cold nodule on my thyroid with a couple of not-great indicators, so that's what the FNA was for and my fingers are crossed that I just have Graves and not a malignancy as well.

Comment from: Raerae84, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Wow, am I the only one that got no numbing medication! The doctor just jabbed the needle in my thyroid and jabbed it around several times and I have to say the fine-needle aspiration was very painful and still a little painful and swollen 5 hours later.

Comment from: Rasha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am feeling frustrated. I just received the result of fine needle aspiration. The sample is deemed insufficient. This is the 2nd time I got not enough sample. I either have a third aspiration or have thyroid removed surgically.

Comment from: waiting5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I had my fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid done yesterday. They did numb me up first but that was painful. My neck is very tender and my nodule that is on the left side of my thyroid looks to have tripled in size since my ultrasound seven weeks ago. I had six very long needles placed deep into my neck and there was this bobbing up and down a lot of for each sample that was taken. It hurt like crazy and I am very sore today. I'm happy to see others had a better experience than I did.

Comment from: Theuniqueldy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had a biopsy and fine needle aspiration a week on both sides of my thyroid. Eleven sticks later including 3 Lidocaine injections, the pain of the needle aspiration (7 sticks) was unreal for one and a half days. Now the needle aspiration area just hurts when I cough. I hope to hear on the biopsy of the solid thyroid cyst and the 4.5cc from the fluid filled cyst soon.