Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Texaswoman 53, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had my first fine-needle aspiration biopsy today. There were 4 nodules in my thyroid, larger than 2 cm. There was nothing used to deaden my neck. The doctor took two biopsies of each nodule. I did take a few Xanax before and it helped with the anxiety but not the pain. The first three felt like someone drawing blood who didn't know what they were doing. It did hurt. The last one did hurt because he had to go through a vein. I didn't cry but wanted to. Now I have a huge hickey on my neck. Now the dreaded 5 day wait for the results.

Comment from: Miki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a fine-needle aspiration biopsy (FNB) of my thyroid yesterday. I was terrified based on information I read but it wasn't bad at all. Just relax and it's over with in minutes. My doctor was funny and distracted me from the moment she started. Can you feel it? Yes, but it's not painful, just pressure. You can do it! So if you're told you need an FNB on your thyroid, don't focus on it too much. It's not that bad. I'm sorry for everyone else that had a difficult time.

Comment from: Asha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had just one small nodule and the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid wasn't painful at all. But after some time it began to hurt me and now even after a week I feel the pain when I swallow.

Comment from: greenid1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had a fine-needle aspiration biopsy on Friday, 1 lidocaine, and 4 draws. I wasn't nervous but I must say that the feeling that he was using a jackhammer was a bit unsettling. I had a reaction to the Band-Aid and have a nice welt on my neck in the shape of one. But my biggest concern was the feeling of soreness on one side of my trachea (windpipe) and the feeling that I have an earache.

Comment from: mackmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I just had my first fine needle aspiration thyroid biopsy. It was horrific. I wasn't prepared for that much trauma. The nurse practitioner had had it done and told me it was like 2 bee stings. After an hour of needle poking and prodding and horrible pain and pressure the procedure ended. I had tears streaming down my face. I couldn't control it. The nurse practitioner apologized saying hers was nothing like that. Apparently mine were deep. Could it be parathyroid tumors protruding out? I have an elevated calcium. Whatever it was, it was horrible and will never ever have that again. Cancer or not!

Comment from: Shellbell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had 2 fine-needle aspiration biopsies. The first one was done six years ago and was almost painless. I had no problems with it at all. My second biopsy was today, and it was awful! They did use lidocaine which of course hurt as it was injected, but that was just the beginning. The pressure I felt was terrible. I was crying when I left the room and took me several minutes to regroup. My neck has been swollen and has turned all shades of colors. I am in so much pain tonight. I hope that I never have to go through another one again because I don't think I can go through with it.

Comment from: Ashleymata700, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid (FNA) done today with ultrasound. I was nervous but told by everyone that it wouldn't hurt. Boy, were they wrong! Maybe it was my doctor, maybe the location... I have no clue. She didn't even wait 2 seconds after the lidocaine to start. The first one was bearable. The ones after almost brought me to tears. The pressure was so weird but I started hurting very bad after. It's been 10 hours now and I feel like it was just done. Ice and Advil haven't helped at all. My nodule is at least 3 cm on my left side at the base of my neck. Not sure why it hurts so badly but I hope it stops soon!

Comment from: Free, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was scared more than anything, the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid was a fast procedure.