Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Maggiesmagic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) thyroid biopsy. There was a local anesthetic needle first, I barely felt it, then two needles to remove tissue. Both didn't really hurt, just felt a little weird. When the anesthetic wore off, it felt just slightly sore but the pain increased as the day wore on and now, on the next day, is extremely sore. It hurts to swallow, to talk, and to sneeze (it is allergy season)! I sure do hope this goes away soon. This is miserable and I did not expect this at all!

Comment from: GreenEyedLady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of thyroid with sedation, and I am glad I was sedated or I would have run out of there. I only remember saying, 'Oh, you are hurting me.' I feel like I was lied to because I developed a very large bruise that was painful, and still is 2 weeks later. It's not cancer, which we pretty much confirmed already, but the doctor insisted on the worthless biopsy. I am still having neck pain and choking symptoms, the symptoms I had when I first saw a doctor about this over a year ago. All I know for sure is it's growing.

Comment from: vonnypr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my first fine-needle aspiration biopsy of my thyroid about 10 months back, and even I was very nervous. The procedure was fast and I had no pain. Now my second time I feel pain and some dizziness.

Comment from: Penguin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had fine-needle aspiration (FNA) on a thyroid nodule last week and it didn't hurt at all. I had an injection of lidocaine which pinched and burned for a few seconds, and then had 4 passes. I didn't feel a thing. My neck was a tiny bit sore for a day or so, but I iced it and by the second day I was back normal. Overall, it was breeze.

Comment from: RBL4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had a fine-needle aspiration biopsy of my thyroid, today at 11:30. There was a little pressure but nothing bad. I had lidocaine and that was fine. It is now 4:26 and it hurts to swallow, turn my neck and I have a nasty headache and feeling kind of drab. It hurts to cough and laugh a bit, which I expected. Other than that, noting else.

Comment from: Tired of Tests, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had my 4th fine-needle aspiration biopsy in 14 years. Earlier ones were done without any numbing, one of which was horrible, into a very deep area and felt like needle went through to the other side of my neck! It was very traumatic. None have been an easy experience and have been negative for cancer. I sometimes wonder if they are done too frequently. You get through what you have to, but I hope I won't need any more.

Comment from: RMLIFE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have just returned home from my fine-needle aspiration (FNA) for a thyroid nodule on left side. I too read that this was not supposed to hurt. Doctor started with three insertions (#1, 2, 3), then had to redo two of them (#4, 5) as there was not enough sample. I did receive an anesthetic, but he barely waited for it to take effect (he said it only needed 30 seconds) when he started with the #1. I felt every single one as it entered my skin initially. Once he started 'pumping' there was only pressure with #1, a bit more pressure with slight pain with #2, and I about hit the roof with #3. I felt a very sharp pain as well as it felt like it was going down my esophagus. When he did #4, it felt like #1, but when he did #5 it felt like #3 but not as painful. This tells me he did not wait long enough for the anesthetic to fully take effect or didn't give me a strong enough dose. I don't know if I was supposed to feel any numbness when I was given the anesthetic, but I did not feel anything go numb. I thought I was only supposed to feel pressure, not pain.