Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Sarah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had a fine-needle aspiration of the left side of the thyroid yesterday and the only thing at the time that hurt was the first needle to numb the area. The following 4 needles were not felt. I had more pain afterward, like not being able to swallow without pain. I took a pain pill and went to sleep that afternoon and feeling much better today. It's just a little swollen and I feel like I have a sore throat. The hardest part of the test was laying your head off the end of the table so they could have easy access to your throat. All in all, this test was not bad at all. Certainly not as bad as I imagined. Now just waiting for the results.

Comment from: TSue, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 11

I had fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid done today. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. I am a little sore and he had to take 5 samples. I have been itchy on and off the past few hours. But it was a lot better than I anticipated.

Comment from: JaneR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had my first ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration (FNA) of two nodules on left thyroid a few days ago. Surgeon plus sonographer were there, no local anesthetic. I got through the first nodule aspiration, but the second, which was a bit deeper, and required more digging, so to speak, evoked sobbing, which wasn't helpful. I had no swelling or bruising. It is a very tiny needle. If I were to do this again, and the nodule was a bit deep, I would have the local anesthesia. My biopsy results were benign, despite calcification and enlargement. One thing that helped was having a person applying pressure to the soles of my feet. If I had that from the start, I might not have broken down. I feel extremely unwell, so the investigation continues.

Comment from: eliza, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I had a fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid this morning and I felt no pain at all. They administered a shot of lidocaine, then took 6 different samples. I didn't feel a thing, other than a minor pinch when the lidocaine was given. I worried for nothing! Just wanted to post this in hopes that it calms someone's nerves. I realize that others might have had different experiences, but for me, it was no more painful than a blood test (and certainly nowhere near as unpleasant as having a cavity filled at the dentist).

Comment from: Cathy R, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had a fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid yesterday. After much anxiety and loss of sleep beforehand, I will tell you that it was nothing. I had absolutely no pain at all with either the local anesthetic administration or the actual biopsy. I had one nodule biopsied 4 separate times and could feel nothing. Easiest procedure and I would not hesitate to do it again if needed. I went right to work afterwards and having no problems a day later.

Comment from: Lorie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had two fine-needle aspiration biopsies of my thyroid at one time and I must say that over the years I have had two C-sections and my gallbladder removed and this by far is the worst procedure that I've ever had! It was painful during and after the procedure! I hope that I don't ever have to have this done again!

Comment from: sunnydee, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 25

I think the procedure is different for everyone as there are variables such as who is performing the procedure and size and location of the nodules. I know many who have had a fine-needle aspiration of thyroid with no problems but unfortunately I was not one of them. It was very uncomfortable and hurt from beginning to end and hurt for 2 days after. I am pretty good when it comes to pain but had to stop and take a break in the middle due to the pain and the only reason I didn't stop is because I didn't want to come back to do it again. I now have to have one on the other side and I am definitely not looking forward to it by any means.

Comment from: Jackie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had fine-needle aspiration biopsy of my thyroid done twice and am now headed for my third. The actual taking of the sample isn't that painful, but lying on my back and having my head tilted makes me feel nauseated and lightheaded. This was the most anxiety inducing procedure I have had. I am hoping to have a sedative prescribed.

Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy - Complications Question: What complications did you experience following your fine needle aspiration biopsy?
Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy - Results Question: What were the results of your fine needle aspiration biopsy?