Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Monica, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I had a fine needle aspiration of my thyroid gland today and it was extremely painful, not at all what I was told to expect. Prior to the procedure I asked the doctor if numbing medication was going to be administered. She assured me that the procedure was painless, so today I went in with no trepidation. Let me just say I have a pretty high tolerance for pain but this procedure brought me to tears. Afterwards I could barely speak or swallow. It's been almost 12 hours since I left the doctor's office, I'm still in an unreasonable amount of pain, and swallowing is still difficult. I did do some research before having this done, I didn't find any negative side effects. Had I been more informed about what to expect I could have been better prepared.

Comment from: Jules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Wegener's granulomatosis affected my sinuses, my lungs and my kidneys. I got an IVIG infusion and then 4 separate infusions of Rituxan. I am now on an immunosuppressant of 2000 mg per day and having many tests done on my arteries, my lungs, and scheduled to see an allergist. I am so tired of all the doctor appointments and the monthly blood tests. But I guess it is better than dying.

Comment from: rainy day, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I had fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid today. Two extractions on each side. The doctor used ice to numb it up a bit. I had read the horror stories and was anxious. Happily it was just about like having a blood draw, a prick, some strange feeling and out. He said he didn't see any sense in numbing the area with something like Novacaine because that would require about as many needle pricks. I thought maybe something like Anbesol or whatever the dentist rubs on your gum when he is about to inject Novacaine and it would be even less traumatic. Take some along.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had a fine-needle aspiration thyroid biopsy on Tuesday. I feel like I was misled because everyone told me it would be numbed and all I would feel is pressure. Nothing could be further from the truth. It hurt! He jabbed and jabbed with the nodule apparently rolling away from him. Finally, he decided to make a second insertion spot, again jabbing and taking five different samples of the nodule. My throat has been so sore, I can barely swallow. There's extensive black and blue bruising and a hard knot where the last needle was inserted. If I had known this was going to be as painful as it was, I would have insisted on something stronger for pain and relaxation prior to the procedure being done. I won't allow this to happen again without more insurance against pain. Then, to have to wait three days for the results seems ridiculous to me.

Comment from: Brandilittle, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 13

I have had 2 fine needle aspiration biopsies of my thyroid since March 2016. Mine were the most painful procedures I've ever been through and that includes my epidural and spinal for 2 C-sections. My procedures were done by 2 different doctors, so it isn't the doctor. The numbing medication was very painful because of the burning but the needles were excruciating. My nodule is almost 3 cm big and deep on the left side. If you didn't feel pain you are very lucky. My first one left a sore throat and coughing for 3 weeks. The one today is very tender as I just had it done 3 hours ago.

Comment from: DC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I got fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid done today about 3 hours ago. It was not painful at all. I had gone through pain during a visit to a dentist as a 9 year old and have had an intense fear of needles anywhere other than the elbow ever since. My fear was so intense that I could not sleep the whole night yesterday. The truth was the opposite. The needle is thin. The initial prick is a lesser sensation than while giving blood samples. It was the pressure while the needle is inside that I had been worrying about. Turned out it was more like someone rubbing a finger over the spot, no more. I am writing this with the hope that everyone will have the same experience.

Comment from: MMFT, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I had the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid done June 18th, 2016. It hurt very much. The nodules that samples were taken from were deep in the right lobe. I am not sure of what the numbing medication they injected me with was, but it had no effect. Three samples were taken. I iced the area on and off for the rest of the day. I had a swollen area beneath the injection sights and soreness that lasted a few days.

Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy - Complications Question: What complications did you experience following your fine needle aspiration biopsy?
Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy - Results Question: What were the results of your fine needle aspiration biopsy?