Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: amc723, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My freshman year of college, I started to experience minor pains in my upper abdomen, under my ribs. I usually would just take tums, and try to fall asleep (it would happen at night). One night when I was home for Christmas break (January), the pain was bad enough to go to the emergency room (ER). The pain lasted until around 5 am, they gave me a 'GI (gastrointestinal) cocktail' and sent me on my way. I was prescribed omeprazole (Prilosec) to take once a day. I would get the same pain every once and a while that would radiate to my back. These pains started to get more severe and more frequent around late November, then started to happen pretty much every day. Finally, in January, (last month) I was referred to a GI doctor after going to the ER on Christmas day for horrible abdominal pain. They did an ultrasound and I was finally diagnosed with gallstones! My surgery is this month and hopefully it goes well. But seriously, if you have pain in your upper abdomen, it radiates to your shoulder blades, and you cannot eat anything fatty or unhealthy, do not just assume it is heartburn or indigestion! Get an ultrasound. I know how much gallstones can take a toll on someone; not being able to go eat pizza with your friends, losing sleep every night because of the pain, it is horrible!

Comment from: Flowerfanatic, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 17

After having experienced several months of feeling like I was strangling especially when lying down, my doctor ordered a thyroid ultrasound. It came back with my thyroid being much enlarged with 1 cyst and several nodules, with the suggestion to have a biopsy. After having read many negative reports of having fine-needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) of thyroid done, I was really terrified of having it done. Well, I'm here to tell you the only tiny bit of pain was the lidocaine injection and that was very brief. He waited about 30 seconds or so before starting the aspiration itself. I felt nothing when the radiologist aspirated the 3 syringes for sending to the pathologist. I don't know if there will be any side effects tomorrow but right now all I feel is the Band-Aid they put on it! The lidocaine is all gone and there's no feeling of having anything done to this area. I know I could experience some bruising possibly but I doubt if that will happen. I was given a small ice pack and used that on the way home and will apply more ice if needed. So all of my apprehension prior to the aspiration, was for naught as it was easier than a blood draw! Fortunately I had a very good team working with me and a very proficient radiologist doing the aspiration. Hopefully this will help alleviate fears someone else may feel if they're going to have an FNAB. It was truly a breeze!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had the quadrivalent flu shot yesterday afternoon. It is very sore at the injection site and I have shoulder and neck pain. I had a low grade fever (96.8) with chills. I am very tired and have no appetite. I came home after injection and I've slept for the last 24 hours. I've had the flu shot before and not felt great after it, but never felt this bad. Maybe it's the 2015 vaccine since I'm reading about others with the same symptoms. I am glad I had no plans today because I ended up in bed all day. I hope tomorrow is better.

Comment from: Kris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I just had FNAB (fine-needle aspiration biopsy) yesterday. The pain killer was not much more than a small insect sting. I had 7 or 8 aspirations of two nodules. No needle aspiration really hurt, but I could feel the needle's presence, especially when it pressed against my trachea if I took a deep breath while the needle was drawing samples. There was a lab technician right there to confirm that the samples drawn were sufficient, so I hopefully wouldn't be called back for a repeat of this procedure. I had little swelling and no bruising or pain after the procedure.

Comment from: Ms.Laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had a fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid for biopsy on Friday and in the evening I was in so much pain that I could hardly lift my head. I iced it all night. The next day was not so bad, I was just a little sore, especially when laughing or coughing. I am now on the 4th day and it hurts when I swallow anything including my saliva. It feels like a stabbing, dull pain going all the way down almost into my chest.