Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: boatfull, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I was scared to death about the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid. Endocrinologist gave me two 1 mg Ativan before the procedure. They gave me 2 shots of Novacaine one on each side. They did 3 needles on each side. I was done in 20 minutes. I had it done in a hospital. I worried over nothing, piece of cake. I think it was the Ativan that relaxed me.

Comment from: child within, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I have hyperventilated my entire life, without the awareness, since I was in a family where I was terrified of my dad. Nothing ever was as it seemed, he was a dry drunk, never touched a drop. Learned the behavior from his dad. He was abused and so was I along with my 3 brothers, and mom would have been a battered women but for the fact that not much of it was physical.

Comment from: Genjerleigh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had no numbing agent on my neck when the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid was done for a biopsy. The pin prick was fine, it was the taking of the sample that hurt; I could feel the doctor digging around in there getting the sample. She had to go in 3 times. I was sure I'd have a black and blue bruise after it was done. It hurt to swallow afterwards along with the general pain.

Comment from: Maggiesmagic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) thyroid biopsy. There was a local anesthetic needle first, I barely felt it, then two needles to remove tissue. Both didn't really hurt, just felt a little weird. When the anesthetic wore off, it felt just slightly sore but the pain increased as the day wore on and now, on the next day, is extremely sore. It hurts to swallow, to talk, and to sneeze (it is allergy season)! I sure do hope this goes away soon. This is miserable and I did not expect this at all!

Comment from: GreenEyedLady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of thyroid with sedation, and I am glad I was sedated or I would have run out of there. I only remember saying, 'Oh, you are hurting me.' I feel like I was lied to because I developed a very large bruise that was painful, and still is 2 weeks later. It's not cancer, which we pretty much confirmed already, but the doctor insisted on the worthless biopsy. I am still having neck pain and choking symptoms, the symptoms I had when I first saw a doctor about this over a year ago. All I know for sure is it's growing.

Comment from: vonnypr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my first fine-needle aspiration biopsy of my thyroid about 10 months back, and even I was very nervous. The procedure was fast and I had no pain. Now my second time I feel pain and some dizziness.

Comment from: Penguin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had fine-needle aspiration (FNA) on a thyroid nodule last week and it didn't hurt at all. I had an injection of lidocaine which pinched and burned for a few seconds, and then had 4 passes. I didn't feel a thing. My neck was a tiny bit sore for a day or so, but I iced it and by the second day I was back normal. Overall, it was breeze.

Comment from: RBL4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had a fine-needle aspiration biopsy of my thyroid, today at 11:30. There was a little pressure but nothing bad. I had lidocaine and that was fine. It is now 4:26 and it hurts to swallow, turn my neck and I have a nasty headache and feeling kind of drab. It hurts to cough and laugh a bit, which I expected. Other than that, noting else.