Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

Question:What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Carole, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just want to say that all you people you said bad things about the fine-needle aspiration of thyroid scared me. I barely felt the Novocain they gave me and did not feel anything but a little pressure. He did 2 needles and it was nothing. A little sore when I tilt my head back but as soon as it was done I went out to lunch. So please don"t worry about it like I did and was so upset for nothing. That is why I am posting now to let you know.

Comment from: tindong15, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had 2 fine needle aspirations of my thyroid, one in January 2014 and last week (19 March 2014). Both procedures went ok, had 3 samples on the first FNAB and 5 samples on the 2nd. I just took Panadol for the pain but I can still eat normally, though had bruise on the neck. I'm just waiting for the result on the second FNAB.

Comment from: Painful11, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

My thyroid nodule was only 1.6 cm or mm, not sure. So they had to use an ultrasound to guide the needle for the fine-needle aspiration. It"s almost 6 hours later and I"m still having pain like I got hit in the trachea. I can actually feel a lump when I swallow and it is painful. I couldn"t really feel the needle, but the ultrasound tool felt like it was crushing my trachea. I wonder if the doctor was too rough with me. Also it hurts to move my head from left to right.

Comment from: Yatesy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had a fine-needle biopsy of a solid nodule on the isthmus. The sedation was a little sting, but not painful at all. The actual needle did not hurt at all, but did feel a little strange. Post biopsy, I am a little sore, but nothing too painful. I have been icing the biopsy site and I can see a little bruising. I was petrified prior to having this procedure, but please don"t worry as it was over and done with very quickly.

Comment from: christina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I did not have the same experience with fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid as some people here, maybe something went wrong. The pain was so bad even after the numbing that I nearly passed out and got nauseous 1/2 way through. I got 4 biopsies taken. One wasn"t so bad, 2 hurt like someone punching a bruise, and one was more stabbing. The doctor said my face went white. I can barely swallow still, now 3 hours later, opening my mouth hurts, turning my head hurts, moving my tongue, anything that involved my neck in any way, hurts. Just saying it's nothing like I expected.

Comment from: Raerae84, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Wow, am I the only one that got no numbing medication! The doctor just jabbed the needle in my thyroid and jabbed it around several times and I have to say the fine-needle aspiration was very painful and still a little painful and swollen 5 hours later.

Comment from: Rasha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am feeling frustrated. I just received the result of fine needle aspiration. The sample is deemed insufficient. This is the 2nd time I got not enough sample. I either have a third aspiration or have thyroid removed surgically.

Comment from: Relief 2014, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had FNA (fine-needle aspiration) procedure for my thyroid. I was well informed before the procedure. I was numbed with lidocaine at the thyroid site; felt like a bee sting, not painful. Three passes were made in each nodule to acquire sufficient cells. I felt absolutely nothing. It took approximately 10 minutes tops. I was given outpatient instructions, and ice pack for the area and went home. No incidents!

Comment from: azlady10, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I received a lidocaine injection prior to my FNA (fine-needle aspiration) of thyroid. It gave me a hot burning sensation but it didn"t last. I then had 5 passes in my module. Three were around the outside and the last two in the center. I had hardly any feeling, just a dull pressure was present at the time, quick and simple. I bruise easily so it looks bad from the outside but never had any pain afterwards.

Comment from: Momscaregiver, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I finally had my FNAP (fine needle aspiration biopsy) today on a 6mm nodule with a halo calcification. I have a high tolerance for pain but after reading some of the reviews I was quite nervous! Let me just say, it was a piece of cake! The doctor that performed the biopsy was awesome; the needle to numb the area stung a bit for a few seconds but that was it. She did three passes and got a good enough sample with the three punctures. My neck is a little bit sore right now but nothing to really talk about. Now it's just one more week to wait for the results, I've waited six weeks to be biopsied so I guess 7 more days isn't too bad. To anyone waiting for an FNAB, try not to worry too much about the pain it really wasn't bad at all! Good Luck.