Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

Question:What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: satisfied customer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a needle biopsy done and it was a very pleasurable experience. The procedure was fast, it took him about 5-8 seconds to do each biopsy. The doctor did only two and he gave me preliminary results right then and there. I called in the next day for the final result and my doctor got the report right away as well. I would have no problem doing it again. Going to the dentist is worse.

Comment from: Denalle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

Upon feeling thyroid nodes, a month after kidney removal due to clear cell renal cancer, a biopsy was scheduled. Three nodules were found. Lidocaine was used to lessen feeling in area. It still felt like a vet's "horse" needle was used. The first nodule pathology came back benign. The pathology from the second nodule came back with "unknown" results.

Comment from: IUPatient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had the procedure done yesterday in the radiology department of a medical center. I thought the most painful part was the Lidocaine shot, but that wasn't any more painful than Novacaine shots at the dentist. I'm not sure how many passes they made because I didn't feel them. Some were done by a resident, some by her supervisor. Their roving lab folks had a mobile station in the hall to make sure they had enough before they finished up, but I didn't feel any of them. When the supervisor took over, they injected some additional Lidocaine in case his angle was different, but I didn't feel that at all. Yesterday evening and today (a little less today) I've felt like I have been choked-- sore around the neck--but ibuprofen helps. There were no surprises, as the resident was wonderful. She explained everything. Now is the worst part: waiting.

Comment from: Chris Fitz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Had a thyroid biopsy two weeks ago. The lidacane was painless, as was the biopsies themselves. (12 from both sides and center.) About an hour later I felt a little under the influence and was glad I had a ride. The next night I started to get pain in my neck, jaw, ear, and collar bone. Electric type zaps in my head, neck, etc., for 3 days. To make matters worse, I couldn't get my doctor to call back until the third day and then began to feel a bit better. I got a hematoma that then drained to my upper chest. It came back as cancer (found out today), and I am beginning to find a surgeon.

Comment from: scline, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had one done 5/11 didn't know what to expect, especially when the doctor told me that he doesn't use any numbing agents, to risky he said, all I felt was just a little pinch and pressure each time he did it. Nothing bad.

Comment from: JBC, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was very nervous going in for my biopsy and because I am allergic to the anesthetic, the doctor chose to use none. I did not look to see the size of the needle but it must have been tiny because it went in with less pain that a freezing needle. I did feel some pressure and digging around, but not painful. The freezing at the dentist is way more painful than the biopsy. Be brave and relax.

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have nodules on both sides of my thyroid. I've had FN biopsies done 5 different times. I've never had a bad experience. It feels a little prickly when the needle is in there but no real pain. Later that day it feels sore on the outside of the neck. I think it all depends on who is doing the biopsy. Some doctors are better than others at it.

Comment from: Louise, 55-64 Female Published: September 27

The needle was big! At least that is how it felt. It did hurt a bit but not unbearable. It was not conclusive and they want to take half my thyroid. I asked if I could wait until Sept. this was in May. Will have it checked on the 21st to see if it has gotten larger 1.5 cm last check. I hate to get parts cut out if I don't have too!

Comment from: Bozkn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I am glad I did not waste any time worrying about fine-needle aspiration. The biopsy was done quickly and painlessly and even afterward there was no pain at all. Unfortunately it has been 6 days since the biopsy and I still don't have the results. Now that makes me worry.

Comment from: Muffy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

It was not a good experience. I felt the doctor was rushed as he was two hours behind and had one more after me. I thought he was rather rough with me. Then afterwards I developed a hematoma from the biopsy and six weeks later, it is still there and bothers me when I swallow.