Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

Question:What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Faye, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had read all the horror stories on here and was scared to death to have my fine needle biopsy done today but it was a breeze. The most pain (which wasn't very bad at all) was when he injected the Lidocaine to deaden my neck. After that I barely felt the 5 sticks which was really not pain but more like pressure. I dreaded it all this time for nothing.

Comment from: bxme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

Had my biopsy done by an endocrinologist yesterday. Had five nodules, two were biopsied each with two needles. No anesthesia but the needles are so fine that it felt like an insect sting and then some pressure while he moved the needle to get the specimen. Each pass only took a few seconds so it was tolerable. The whole biopsy procedure took less than 10 minutes and I walked out without even a Band-Aid! Felt fine yesterday, feel fine today ... no pain, swelling or bruising. Wasn't a bad experience at all. I am glad though that I chose to go to someone who does many of these each day. Good luck!

Comment from: lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have a high tolerance for pain, but the idea of a needle entering my neck was a bit too much for me to handle. I asked for some sedation, and the staff were great. I was given enough sedation to calm me, but was awake and aware of everything. The needles stung a bit, but that was minimal. The ice afterwards helped with the soreness and swelling. I am still sore the next day. I suggest taking the day off of work following the procedure. My neck hurts and it is a bit painful to swallow, but nothing that some over the counter Tylenol doesn't take care of.

Comment from: beachcomber, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had my biopsy yesterday. Practically painless and I was amazed. It took about five minutes. I had five nodules three on one side and two on the other. My endocrinologist used an ultra sound to locate the nodules. Two numbing needles that were just a pinch and three biopsy needles were used. I felt almost nothing! I put this off for a year because I was so afraid. What a dummy I was.

Comment from: ko, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I went for my annual physical recently and my doctor told me I had a nodule on my thyroid so she referred me to a specialist. The specialist examined me and said he did not think I had any nodules but an enlarged thyroid. I had an ultrasound done and I have three nodules. The tech did a biopsy and everything came out normal. Although I did not experience any pain I did put ice on my neck when I got home after the procedure. I was very anxious about the fine needle biopsy but have to say it didn't hurt a bit and I felt great after. My neck has always been my weak area and after reading a lot of these posts I was very nervous. Just Relax!

Comment from: don, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I had a fine needle biopsy twice by two different doctors. Although I would rather be doing something else, it was not that bad. Tests were not conclusive and subsequently, I had half of my thyroid removed. I was back to work in three weeks. I think the not knowing was the worst part of the whole process.

Comment from: punkinvine, Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I had a fine needle biopsy yesterday about noon. The pain during the procedure was minimal. I experienced a slight sting with the first numbing needle. The very last sample was close to the esophagus and did sort of ache briefly while the needle was there. The remainder of the day I had a blanched silver dollar sized area on my neck. I slept OK until 5 a.m. Then I felt awful. My neck was sore and my lips were getting swollen. I took Benadryl and was sort of miserable until noon. I am not sure what was going on, but I feel good this evening; no noted swelling. A minor bruise on the neck is all I see now.

Comment from: x, (Patient) Published: September 08

Had FNA biopsy - it was a terrible experience. I've had two kids without epidural - both were easier than this procedure. The doctor and ultrasound technician were insensitive to my shaking, fear and pain. I had been told it was a single needle experience, but the doctor did it four times. I was close to passing out when they told me I could go - had to lie down and inconvenience the staff by having to wait for me to feel better.

Comment from: bortnercly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

My fine-needle biopsy went well. I felt a lot of pressure during the biopsy, but I did not feel any pain.