Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

Question:What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: beachcomber, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had my biopsy yesterday. Practically painless and I was amazed. It took about five minutes. I had five nodules three on one side and two on the other. My endocrinologist used an ultra sound to locate the nodules. Two numbing needles that were just a pinch and three biopsy needles were used. I felt almost nothing! I put this off for a year because I was so afraid. What a dummy I was.

Comment from: ko, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I went for my annual physical recently and my doctor told me I had a nodule on my thyroid so she referred me to a specialist. The specialist examined me and said he did not think I had any nodules but an enlarged thyroid. I had an ultrasound done and I have three nodules. The tech did a biopsy and everything came out normal. Although I did not experience any pain I did put ice on my neck when I got home after the procedure. I was very anxious about the fine needle biopsy but have to say it didn't hurt a bit and I felt great after. My neck has always been my weak area and after reading a lot of these posts I was very nervous. Just Relax!

Comment from: don, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I had a fine needle biopsy twice by two different doctors. Although I would rather be doing something else, it was not that bad. Tests were not conclusive and subsequently, I had half of my thyroid removed. I was back to work in three weeks. I think the not knowing was the worst part of the whole process.

Comment from: punkinvine, Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I had a fine needle biopsy yesterday about noon. The pain during the procedure was minimal. I experienced a slight sting with the first numbing needle. The very last sample was close to the esophagus and did sort of ache briefly while the needle was there. The remainder of the day I had a blanched silver dollar sized area on my neck. I slept OK until 5 a.m. Then I felt awful. My neck was sore and my lips were getting swollen. I took Benadryl and was sort of miserable until noon. I am not sure what was going on, but I feel good this evening; no noted swelling. A minor bruise on the neck is all I see now.

Comment from: x, (Patient) Published: September 08

Had FNA biopsy - it was a terrible experience. I've had two kids without epidural - both were easier than this procedure. The doctor and ultrasound technician were insensitive to my shaking, fear and pain. I had been told it was a single needle experience, but the doctor did it four times. I was close to passing out when they told me I could go - had to lie down and inconvenience the staff by having to wait for me to feel better.

Comment from: bortnercly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

My fine-needle biopsy went well. I felt a lot of pressure during the biopsy, but I did not feel any pain.

Comment from: satisfied customer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a needle biopsy done and it was a very pleasurable experience. The procedure was fast, it took him about 5-8 seconds to do each biopsy. The doctor did only two and he gave me preliminary results right then and there. I called in the next day for the final result and my doctor got the report right away as well. I would have no problem doing it again. Going to the dentist is worse.

Comment from: Denalle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

Upon feeling thyroid nodes, a month after kidney removal due to clear cell renal cancer, a biopsy was scheduled. Three nodules were found. Lidocaine was used to lessen feeling in area. It still felt like a vet's "horse" needle was used. The first nodule pathology came back benign. The pathology from the second nodule came back with "unknown" results.

Comment from: IUPatient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had the procedure done yesterday in the radiology department of a medical center. I thought the most painful part was the Lidocaine shot, but that wasn't any more painful than Novacaine shots at the dentist. I'm not sure how many passes they made because I didn't feel them. Some were done by a resident, some by her supervisor. Their roving lab folks had a mobile station in the hall to make sure they had enough before they finished up, but I didn't feel any of them. When the supervisor took over, they injected some additional Lidocaine in case his angle was different, but I didn't feel that at all. Yesterday evening and today (a little less today) I've felt like I have been choked-- sore around the neck--but ibuprofen helps. There were no surprises, as the resident was wonderful. She explained everything. Now is the worst part: waiting.