Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

Question:What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: azlady10, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I received a lidocaine injection prior to my FNA (fine-needle aspiration) of thyroid. It gave me a hot burning sensation but it didn"t last. I then had 5 passes in my module. Three were around the outside and the last two in the center. I had hardly any feeling, just a dull pressure was present at the time, quick and simple. I bruise easily so it looks bad from the outside but never had any pain afterwards.

Comment from: Momscaregiver, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I finally had my FNAP (fine needle aspiration biopsy) today on a 6mm nodule with a halo calcification. I have a high tolerance for pain but after reading some of the reviews I was quite nervous! Let me just say, it was a piece of cake! The doctor that performed the biopsy was awesome; the needle to numb the area stung a bit for a few seconds but that was it. She did three passes and got a good enough sample with the three punctures. My neck is a little bit sore right now but nothing to really talk about. Now it's just one more week to wait for the results, I've waited six weeks to be biopsied so I guess 7 more days isn't too bad. To anyone waiting for an FNAB, try not to worry too much about the pain it really wasn't bad at all! Good Luck.

Comment from: Kathleen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had a fine needle ultrasound guided biopsy last Friday. The doctor told me that he would numb it first, spent about 5 minutes using 3 needles/samples on a 3.5 cm solid nodule. After the 3 shots I asked how long the procedure will be. The doctor looked at me and smiled! Told me that I was finished. I've had flu shots that have hurt worse. This was a piece of cake! I'm still waiting on the test results, extremely fatigued, sore neck, ear aches here & there, swollen neck and up to the back if the neck. Do not be afraid, it is a simple procedure.

Comment from: debbydo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a FNB (fine needle biopsy) using ultrasound, of a nodule in my thyroid today 12/10/13. My doctor prescribed 3mg Xanax before I went to bed last night. Another 1/2 Xanax upon waking up, another 1/2 Xanax 1 hour before procedure. I also took 3 ibuprofen before the FNB. I was a little "loopy". The procedure was at 3:30 PM. I was so relaxed and calm. He sprayed a freezing numbing solution on my neck. I was given an ice pack to use afterward to bring home. There was no pain at all! I couldn't believe it after reading all the horror stories online. My husband was also invited into the procedure room to be with me.

Comment from: Phyllis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

On 10/4/2013 I had a FNA (fine-needle aspiration) of 3.3, 2.6, 2.4 cm mass on my right thyroid. I also have a nodule on the left side that is smaller than 1cm so the doctor did not feel it required testing at this time. I was Nervous but for nothing! It was a simple procedure, not exactly painless but almost. Mostly pressure and a pricking sensation. I will be going for results this morning 10/10/2013 at 10 AM. I am hoping for some answers and to start therapy to feel better.

Comment from: Lady B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Hi. I just had a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of my thyroid biopsy performed today. I was very nervous leading up to this procedure, as I have never had a needle put in my neck. I was told I had three nodules in my thyroid gland which one was a concern. I only received a topical numbing gel over my neck. I have a very low tolerance for pain and I was a nervous wreck. To my surprise, I did not feel the first needle stick, I barely felt the second stick, and with the third stick a small sting. There was very little pressure. Overall this procedure was a piece of cake. I am thankful it was not painful at all. I did very well and thanks to my doctor who performed such an amazing job at keeping it painless.

Comment from: dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

After talking to people who said it was almost painless, I went into the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid procedure pretty upbeat. The numbing shot wasn't too bad and the staff said that was the worst part. Well... they were wrong. I told them after the first needle that it hurt but wasn't offered more numbing. The technician just said the nodule was small (10cc) and hard to reach. I had 10 needles. The initial poke didn't hurt, but when it touched the thyroid it was incredibly painful. I have an autoimmune disease, so perhaps my nerves are sensitive. Whatever the reason, my tears had filled up my ears by the time it was over.

Comment from: Patient X, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I've had two fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsies of my thyroid: one in 2008 and one in 2013. The latest was ultrasound-guided, so the doctor used the ultrasound to see exactly where she wanted to take the samples from. She took 5 samples each from 2 nodules. I was very anxious because the FNA biopsy I had in 2008 was quite traumatic - it wasn't ultrasound-guided, and I could really feel the pressure of him digging around a lot. He took at least 8 samples from one spot. Today, she gave me very generous doses of lidocaine and I honestly couldn't feel anything. I was so relieved! The right side of my lower neck is pretty swollen, a little sore, and is starting to look bruised. But the actual procedure this time was way, way better than the first time. I've been diagnosed with Graves disease and have a cold nodule on my thyroid with a couple of not-great indicators, so that's what the FNA was for and my fingers are crossed that I just have Graves and not a malignancy as well.