Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

Question:What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: Deb32, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I went in for a fine needle biopsy of my thyroid on May 16, 2014. I was told all I would feel was a little pressure. He injected the lidocaine and it was a little sting no big deal. When he started the biopsy it hurt a little bit so he gave some more lidocaine; he continued and the pain got worse. When he got to the second nodule the pain was so bad I had tears. He had to stop because it started bleeding. When I left the hospital I had no voice for 3 days and it hurt badly. To make matters worse the test results were inconclusive. I will have to repeat the test again in a few months.

Comment from: Hjane26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I thought the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid hurt a little when they did the biopsy itself (3 sticks). But I also had a huge cyst where they drained 3 syringes of fluid. It didn"t hurt much last night after having it done, but today it hurts so badly. I am not sure why it hurts more the day after, but it hurts to swallow, to talk, to chew food, to move my neck, to breathe. It all hurts pretty badly. I was not expecting this at all. Perhaps it is the location, or the draining of the cyst for me.

Comment from: Sabrina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I was scared out of my mind of being "stabbed" in the neck but it was totally fine. I didn"t feel the topical needle to numb it and the only thing I actually felt was some pressure when they were gathering the sample. All in all the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid was easy and there was nothing to be scared of. It helped that my doctor was absolutely awesome and funny.

Comment from: Carole, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just want to say that all you people you said bad things about the fine-needle aspiration of thyroid scared me. I barely felt the Novocain they gave me and did not feel anything but a little pressure. He did 2 needles and it was nothing. A little sore when I tilt my head back but as soon as it was done I went out to lunch. So please don"t worry about it like I did and was so upset for nothing. That is why I am posting now to let you know.

Comment from: tindong15, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had 2 fine needle aspirations of my thyroid, one in January 2014 and last week (19 March 2014). Both procedures went ok, had 3 samples on the first FNAB and 5 samples on the 2nd. I just took Panadol for the pain but I can still eat normally, though had bruise on the neck. I'm just waiting for the result on the second FNAB.

Comment from: Painful11, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

My thyroid nodule was only 1.6 cm or mm, not sure. So they had to use an ultrasound to guide the needle for the fine-needle aspiration. It"s almost 6 hours later and I"m still having pain like I got hit in the trachea. I can actually feel a lump when I swallow and it is painful. I couldn"t really feel the needle, but the ultrasound tool felt like it was crushing my trachea. I wonder if the doctor was too rough with me. Also it hurts to move my head from left to right.

Comment from: Yatesy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had a fine-needle biopsy of a solid nodule on the isthmus. The sedation was a little sting, but not painful at all. The actual needle did not hurt at all, but did feel a little strange. Post biopsy, I am a little sore, but nothing too painful. I have been icing the biopsy site and I can see a little bruising. I was petrified prior to having this procedure, but please don"t worry as it was over and done with very quickly.

Comment from: christina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I did not have the same experience with fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid as some people here, maybe something went wrong. The pain was so bad even after the numbing that I nearly passed out and got nauseous 1/2 way through. I got 4 biopsies taken. One wasn"t so bad, 2 hurt like someone punching a bruise, and one was more stabbing. The doctor said my face went white. I can barely swallow still, now 3 hours later, opening my mouth hurts, turning my head hurts, moving my tongue, anything that involved my neck in any way, hurts. Just saying it's nothing like I expected.

Comment from: Relief 2014, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had FNA (fine-needle aspiration) procedure for my thyroid. I was well informed before the procedure. I was numbed with lidocaine at the thyroid site; felt like a bee sting, not painful. Three passes were made in each nodule to acquire sufficient cells. I felt absolutely nothing. It took approximately 10 minutes tops. I was given outpatient instructions, and ice pack for the area and went home. No incidents!