- Enlarged Prostate (BPH) Pictures Slideshow
- Prostate Cancer Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Enlarged Prostate Quiz!
- What is finasteride, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for finasteride?
- Is finasteride available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for finasteride?
- What are the side effects of finasteride?
- What is the dosage for finasteride?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with finasteride?
- Is finasteride safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about finasteride?
Is finasteride safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
Finasteride causes abnormal development of the sexual organs of the male fetus. Therefore, women who are pregnant or are likely to be pregnant should not handle crushed or broken finasteride tablets in order to prevent absorption through the skin.
Finasteride is not prescribed for women.
What else should I know about finasteride?
What preparations of finasteride are available?
How should I keep finasteride stored?
Finasteride should be stored at room temperature in a tight, light resistant container.
Reference: FDA Prescribing Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.