Patient Comments: Fifth Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your fifth disease?

Comment from: tiredmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

My daughter, 21, works in a daycare where fifth disease was going around. She got it and was down about 3 to 5 days. I got it and have been suffering with symptoms for almost 6 weeks at this time. It started with headache, fever, aches and tiredness. Then the rash on my face, which has reappeared one more time. The rash on my arms, legs, feet, hands and back come and go sometimes several times a day. I have pain in my joints on arms, hands and legs. Hot baths, and any heat in general make it much worse. Even washing my hands in very warm water burns in a weird way. I now have bronchitis that I think is related. I have 5 kids and work a full time job, so this is totally kicking me every day. I'm so, so tired.

Comment from: Me too, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have experienced all of the same awful symptoms from this fifth disease virus as the other women over 30. What I would like to remind others of is the amount of time between the fever and joint pain was over a week. Once the joint pain began to resolve the rash appeared. The pain in my head at night was so bad I couldn't lift my head without forcing myself to.

Comment from: marcyjane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My son had fifths last fall. It was going around his middle school. I was sick with a flu like illness before Christmas but then seemed to get over it. However, after New Year's I noticed I was getting itchy on my torso with small clusters of red bumps. I also noticed a strange pain on the top of my hip bone that radiated into my back with time. Then the back pain hit, the pain in my hands, wrists and neck. My knees didn"t hurt but they kept popping all the time, which they never did before. I"ve been to 2 doctors so far. I sprained my back shoveling just a little bit of snow, which is odd for me as I"m usually able to do anything, be very active, and feel fine. I do Pilates and light cardio to keep in shape, but I feel as if my muscles and bones are losing this battle. My doctor is testing me for Lyme but refuses to test me for fifths as it is self-limiting and wouldn"t affect how I was treated. My suspicions are it is fifths disease associated arthritis. It has been almost 2 months so far and sometimes I feel as if I"m so tired from the pain that I can"t be the mother to my son I"d like to be, that I was before. I hope every day this will end, and end soon. I just want to be normal again.

Comment from: Taylor, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 18 years old, I work at a day care. I woke up two weeks ago with an itchy rash all over my back, arms, legs, and stomach. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to new detergent, but after wearing clothes not washed with the new detergent, I knew it was something else. My doctor told me I was having an allergic reaction and gave me 10 days' worth of prednisone. My 10 days of medication ran out and I still had this rash, especially on my arms. I had never heard of fifth disease, but I started to suspect it was something viral after one of the kids at the day care started to present the same symptoms, along with really red cheeks. The director of the day care told me it was probably fifth disease. Today is Day 15 and the rash is not as bad, but still on my arms and legs. I did not have the red cheeks more than a couple of days, but I do note that my ears have been very red and feel like they are burning. The child at the day care also still has symptoms. I've also experience back pain, headaches, runny nose, fatigue, and an upset stomach. I really wish this virus would hurry up and get out of me!

Fifth Disease - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fifth disease.
Fifth Disease - Treatment Question: How was your fifth disease treated?