Patient Comments: Fifth Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your fifth disease?

Comment from: Molly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I'm 39 and have this virus. It started last week with headaches and a high temperature. Then I was covered in the rash. Each day since the rash more and more joints have hurt. Moving is extremely painful and hurts my neck, back, arms, elbows wrists knees and ankles. My face his now swollen rosy red and irritating and my hands hurt and are swollen. I went to 3 different doctors and, I worked out what the virus was when my daughter came home with red cheeks. I have since moved my son to his grans as he has spherociotoise which "slapped cheeks" (another name for this nasty virus) is very dangerous to him, along with a few other disorders. I'm very tired, in pain swollen and praying it doesn't last long as I work, and in the current climate want to keep my job. My little girl is doing fine lol. It would have kept me calmer if any of the doctors would have said this is what I've got.

Comment from: Momto4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am 49 years old and a special education teacher for grades 1-4. I had a couple of days about a month ago with a slight fever and extreme fatigue. I could not shake the fatigue so went to the doctor. My blood work showed anemia as well as B12 deficiency so I thought that was why I was so tired, but I got worse and all my joints started to hurt. Starting in my back and hips and moving to my elbows, shoulders, wrists, hand knees and feet. I could not dress myself or hold a pen and was terribly frightened. I am seeing a rheumatologist and they suspect viral arthritis brought on by the virus that causes Fifth's Disease. I have been off work for over a week and am still extremely tired and sore. I am on an anti-inflammatory and prednisone and a painkiller. This has turned my life upside down. I have four children and a husband and a full time job as a teacher, plus I am back in school myself. I never knew a childhood illness could wreak such havoc.

Comment from: nikatnite162, Female Published: March 01

About 3 years ago, I too started not feeling well and ran a low grade fever that went away and then I woke up one morning with my right hand asleep and my face swollen. Then for the next couple of weeks I started gaining about 2 pounds a week until I had gained about 40 pounds a in a 2 week span. The doctors found nothing wrong and kept sending me home until I had a chest x-ray and they found I was collecting fluid in my lungs, at which time I was admitted to the hospital with congestive heart failure. I was put on lasix to drain all the water I had retained. I was told I had slap cheek and that the virus had gone to my heart, I also was extremely anemic.

Comment from: HappyHeart, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 06

I am a preschool teacher. Our program was exposed to Fifth's Disease 3 years ago, at which time I became ill with it. I had knee surgery 4 years ago, so the disease attacked the knee joint that had surgery. Other than a severe headache and one knee swelling and painful, I had no other symptoms. I am now again experiencing the exact same symptoms, and seeing children in my program with the mid cold and flu symptoms. The information I am seeing online says that I cannot get it again, but that's not what my knee is saying to me right now!

Comment from: Mum, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

My daughter had what I thought was a cold but she soon developed the rash and was diagnosed with fifth disease - never heard of it. It wasn't too long before I started generally feeling unwell, rundown, then headachy, then sick and dizzy, then I fainted and the next day my joints in my hands, wrist, neck and knees swelled up very painful. After a trip to the doctors he concluded I had a virus and anemia, it wasn't until I mentioned my child had fifths disease that he considered that as the cause. Hopefully the anti inflammatory I've been given will help.

Fifth Disease - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fifth disease.
Fifth Disease - Treatment Question: How was your fifth disease treated?