Patient Comments: Fifth Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fifth disease.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I just got positive diagnosis from blood work for fifth disease. I had my granddaughter visiting and she had a slight cold. A week or so after she left, I woke up with a bright red, hot face which lasted 12 hours. A few days later, I had flu-like symptoms, bad fatigue, painful joints (especially knees), very painful muscles in my legs and arms. My primary care physician did many blood tests and then remembered the red face so tested for parvovirus. I had it about 3 weeks and now feel pretty normal.

Comment from: christine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Two of my daycare children came down with fifth disease, brother and sister. I was feeling very exhausted, could barely lift my arms to wash my hair and brush my teeth. One morning, about a week later, I woke up to severe rash covering my body. By that weekend, I was in so much pain and had gained 8 pounds of water weight in a 5 day span. I ended up in the emergency room (ER) to get help with the pain. The ER doctor told me that adults do not get this disease and told me I just had a virus. He did bloodwork, said I was fighting something and told me to see my doctor that week. On that Tuesday, I went to my family doctor, who did a new panel of bloodwork and found that I was severely anemic and vitamin D deficient. It's been 3 years now and I still don't have the health that I used to. My joints have been affected and still find I get exhausted very easily.

Comment from: Marnie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

For your information, I had fifth disease twice when I was a child and gave it to my pregnant mother (in her second trimester and the baby was fine). It was believed at that time that this illness could only occur once in a child. However, I had the same problem with measles. I failed to build an immunity. Not enough information is made available concerning this disease.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

My symptoms of fifth disease were extreme fatigue, rash on my hands and feet, stomach, and swelling hands and feet extremely swollen. The treatment prescribed by the doctor was huge amounts of Benadryl for the rash. After I stopped the Benadryl I went into withdrawal and would wake in the middle of the night with excruciating headache. I had to get medicine to reverse the withdrawal symptoms. It was a very strange time for me in my 50s. Apparently I contracted the disease from my young grandson and apparently I did not have the fifth disease that normally follows chicken pox when I was a child.

Comment from: Sondra36023, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I got sick with a virus 6 years ago. I vomited and had temperature. From that day on I have had these symptoms that have progressed slowly (severe fatigue, muscle stiffness, and pain along with neck stiffness). I'm basically bedridden just found out yesterday I have fifth disease and it has progressed to this severity because I have a weak immune system.

Comment from: Mrs. Ming, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

My grandson came down with a virus that the doctor couldn't really diagnose. She thought he had a really bad case of fifth disease, but he still had a fever with the rash. He tested negative for strep (twice) and didn't have other symptoms that would indicate Kawasaki disease. He finally got over the fever, loss of appetite, etc., but now the skin on his hands and feet are peeling.

Comment from: Sondra36023, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I got sick with a virus 6 years ago. I vomited and had temperature. From that day on I have had these symptoms that have progressed slowly (severe fatigue, muscle stiffness and pain, along with neck stiffness). I'm basically bedridden. I just found out yesterday I have fifths disease and it has progressed to this severity because I have a weak immune system.

Fifth Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your fifth disease?
Fifth Disease - Treatment Question: How was your fifth disease treated?