Patient Comments: Fifth Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fifth disease.

Comment from: almiller, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had joint pain in my wrist and fingers for months. Since RA runs in my family and I had an elevated Rheumatoid Factor, the initial diagnosis was RA. After ruling out RA with other lab work, my Rheumatologist tested me for Fifth Disease. Slowly my joint pain has been going away with rest, but it has been 8 months now.

Comment from: AMelody4U, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My daughters 10, 8, and 3 all started staggered before me. Headache, sore throat, 1-2 degree fever, then after 3 days the headache and sore throat were replaced with coughing, rough voice and runny nose. If the 3 year old had not broken out in the red lacey rash I probably never would have known which virus it was. The pediatrician told me what it was as soon as he saw the rash. As we had previously been exposed the 10 and 8 year old never got the rash. It kicked my 40 year old butt. I basically slept for 3 days but the kids still wanted to play. I was sore and lifeless. Without the rash I have no idea when I will no longer be contagious.

Comment from: itchy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I came down with a rash a few years back. A doctor's visit revealed I had Fifth Disease. The itching was extremely uncomfortable, and lasted about 11 weeks.

Fifth Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your fifth disease?
Fifth Disease - Treatment Question: Describe how you treated the symptoms of fifth disease. What would you recommend to someone with the illness?