Patient Comments: Fifth Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fifth disease.

Comment from: Debra, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 05

My 7-year-old was diagnosed with fifth disease two weeks ago. He has had severe stomach aches so bad that we took him to the emergency room twice and his doctor once. He doubles over and screams with pain. He was prescribed cyproheptadine (2 mg/5 ml) syrup, one teaspoonful, three times a day. He had a rash a week ago on his chest and cheeks that went away, and he went to school all this past week. Now tonight, we are going through this again. He is fine for a couple of days, then his stomach aches start again. We have had ultrasounds, X-rays, blood work, urine tests and nothing shows up other than the rash and the stomach ache.

Comment from: justme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

Fifth disease was going through my kids' school in late spring where I volunteered regularly. My daughter had the typical slapped-cheek look and rash, so I identified it right away. But I came down with it before she did. I had the rash but no red cheeks, so I didn't recognize that it was fifth disease for quite a while. My joints very quickly became extremely swollen, stiff, and sore. I had a hard time getting in and out of chairs, and I couldn't even hold a pencil for a few days. It took two weeks for my joints to feel normal with my knees the last to recover. I did take nonprescription anti-inflammatories. A friend who herself had the disease told me the joint pain symptoms would come back in a couple of weeks, and she was right. I wore a sweater all summer because I always felt cold. Maybe this was because of decreased red blood cell production during the infection.

Published: June 08

20 months ago I contracted 5ths disease from my elementary aged daughters. I still have aching, stiffness, fatigue, and an occasional fever. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia; the rheumatologist said it could have been caused by 5ths disease. I am sure it was because I never felt this way before I got the illness. It is scary to think it may never go away. If your symptoms continue beyond the normal period, take it seriously. I kept telling myself I must be a hypochondriac. Now I know this childhood illness can really be hard on adults.

Comment from: kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

My 6 year old had a fever, stomach ache and a sore throat last weekend. He slowly felt better after about a week and this weekend woke up to apple red cheeks. I knew right away he had 5ths disease which the doctor confirmed. In the middle of all this, I have had a back pain like I have never experienced. It is a touch better, but still very painful. I now have a sore throat and stuffy nose. I am wondering after all the posts I just read, if the back ache is possibly from 5ths? I was doing a lot of housework since I was confined to the house and guessed that, that was causing it but now I wonder.

Comment from: mammamills, 35-44 Female Published: June 02

I am 39. I awoke to severely itchy feet and hands. Then noticed a rash on my torso, arms and upper legs which also began to itch. The itching is intensified if you scratch (like to the level of insanity). I began developing sore joints after a couple days. Now my hands and wrists are extremely swollen and sore. My knees ache. My ankles are swollen and achy as well. My hands are extremely swollen and sore currently, although the rash is disappearing. I still have some itching on my hands, feet and arms, but it is mostly tolerable. I am exhausted as I cannot sleep. I am itching and my hands are hurting. I dozed on and off all day the third day from exhaustion. I do have a history of arthritis and hope that, that won't prolong this. This is my fifth day since the rash began. I still feel yucky.

Comment from: Carolyn, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 26

My daughter is 10 months old and she had been having a runny nose and fever for a few days. We thought that was just due to teething. Then we took her to the doctor and he said it was just a cold. I knew something was up because she was not acting herself. The next day she had a rash cover her back that soon spread. She is recovering now from fifths disease.

Comment from: momto3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

My kids had it two weeks late. I had itchy rash on my legs, the next morning I woke up with foot and hand pain. I went to the doctor made him test me for Fifths and my titer was "off the charts". He prescribed pain killers without them I couldn't walk. I had foot pain for two weeks and I've had had hand and wrist pain on and off for 2 years now. I believe fifths imitated arthritis pain that will be with me indefinitely. Prior to Fifith's I had no join pain. I'm 46 contracted fifth's 3 years ago.

Fifth Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your fifth disease?
Fifth Disease - Treatment Question: How was your fifth disease treated?