Patient Comments: Fibromyalgia - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your fibromyalgia?

Comment from: pat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, ever since I have been battling this pain, I don't take any prescription medications. I tried Cymbalta then Lyrica, no relief. I tried this; I stay away from Canned foods, Foods containing MSG, Gluten and other additives. I try to eat fresh and healthy. I make an effort to eat fresh food at home. The second, is massage, I get a relief from the pain. The third thing is exercise, especially stretching. The last thing is take warm bath and stay warm. There also a pain reliever called biofreeze it's very helpful. If you have trouble sleeping try to relax take a good bath before going to bed, make sure the bedroom is cozy. Stay away from light just relax.

Published: June 11

I've had fibromyalgia for four years and I have been through the ringer as far as treatments have gone. In addition to fibromyalgia I have permanent pain/damage in the back of my head and jaw from brain surgery and I have a slipped disc in my neck from a very near fatal car accident. But the fibromyalgia pain is just terrible. My joints ache and my muscles twitch and have pain in every spot on my body where muscle meets the bone. My body doesn't react well to antidepressants (I have tried Savella, Elavil Cymbalta, Lexapro, Pristiq, Zoloft, and Prozac). The only antidepressant that helped with the pain is Savella and that made me violently ill to my stomach. I do take Lyrica which helps the pain a little but it doesn't scratch the surface. I have tried a gluten-free diet, acupuncture, massage, light cardio, heating pads, ice packs and physical therapy. The only thing that helps is massage but it only helps while you're getting the massage, once it is finished it doesn't feel good, and massages get expensive. The only thing that's helped has been pain medications and muscle relaxants. I don't get those studies that say narcotics don't help with fibromyalgia symptoms because if not for the pain medications I couldn't get out of bed in the morning. I am currently taking Methadone, Oxycodone, Valium (for muscle spasms), Ambien CR (for sleep obviously), Fioricet (for tension headaches) and of course the Lyrica. These medications are also for my other chronic pain problems. They really need to get better medications on the market that are targeted just for fibromyalgia.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia when I was 23 years old after living with chronic pain since an injury when I was 9 years old. I had seen every spinal specialist with no diagnosis until I went to a chiropractor who was able to diagnose me right away based on my presenting symptoms. Since then (for 8 years) I have researched anything that could possibly help that didn't involve drugs and have found the following to be helpful for me. I stopped eating potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, capsicum and chili (all in the nightshades family that deposit acid into your muscles and joints). Now I notice that if I do eat these, the next day I ache all over my back. I have also cut out meat altogether for the last 1.5 years, which has helped greatly with sleep and reduced irritable bowel syndrome. Regular massage reduce the toxins in my joints and muscles and relieves the tension (just be prepared to ache the next day as your body clears out those toxins and drink lots of water to help it). Have a hot bath with Epsom salts in it to draw out the aches and pains. I take magnesium capsules at night to help my muscles recover as I sleep, this also helps you get to sleep and wake up without aches. I also go for a walk outside in the mornings when I can, as it loosens up my muscles and joints and helps me wake up.

Comment from: Annettem26, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have fibromyalgia. I am on Cymbalta in the morning and at night. My problem is spasms just as I am falling asleep. It is not restless leg, these spams are anywhere. I can have both arms jerk, and then moments later have my entire body jump. These have gotten worse when I am in bed. I have taken up sleeping on the couch or recliner. The spasms don't occur when I am lying anywhere except my bed. I am wondering if the spasms are from spinal alignment.

Comment from: cher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I am a 58 year old female who was officially diagnosed with Fibro about 2002 but I believe I have had it for over 30 yrs. I suffered through great stress for many years from domestic violence and since leaving my ex husband the symptoms have lessened somewhat. So I know for a fact that stress plays a huge part in causing this condition. My twenty year old daughter has it also, probably from having to endure the abuse from her father. She is able to exercise a lot and that has helped her to reduce her pain. She starts slow and works her way up. She lifts weights, runs, and does a lot of stretching. I am trying o follow her lead but moving at all is very painful. I have flareups when stress levels increase. I am affected by the foods I eat. Gluten, white flours and sugar are all causes for more pain, and IBS. I was able to qualify for SSI/Disability, with a Fibromyalgia diagnosis, so I urge others to try to apply. If denied, there r lawyers who will help with the process. For me it was very easy and in two months I had my money.

Fibromyalgia - Symptoms Question: What were your initial fibromyalgia symptoms?
Fibromyalgia - Treatment Question: Please describe treatments that have been effective for your fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc.) have you found helpful in relieving fibromyalgia pain?