Patient Comments: Fibromyalgia - Diet and Lifestyle Changes

What lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc.) have you found helpful in relieving fibromyalgia pain?

Comment from: Brynda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I have fibromyalgia. The invisible disease to everyone but the people who suffer from it and their love ones. I was diagnosed in 2003. The first three years were the worst! Heavy duty prescription, acupuncture, pain patches, rehabilitation and therapy! Until I said enough, what can I live with! I took charge of my own health. Scaled back on all medications and began water aquatics, walking and supplements. The medication was not reliving my pain so I opted to take 600 mg of ibuprofen and entered a research program that targeted fibromyalgia patients' sleep pattern. Bottom line what they gave us contributed to a good night's sleep which took me from level 8 and 9 pain to level 2 and three. Awesome sauce! But unfortunately study only lasted 2 years. Currently I am taking cyclobenzaprine 5 mg, low paced exercise, turmeric in my food, stretching and life style changes. Not 100 percent but manageable. I take it one day at a time. Accept, prioritize and keep it moving!

Comment from: Allyxtra, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I must comment after 29 years of fibromyalgia syndrome/chronic fatigue syndrome, that this article is better than previous ones on WebMD. However, the overall tone of the information still diminishes the severity of these conditions, especially the degree of pain and continued emphasis on exercise, which actually causes more severe pain and fatigue.

Comment from: txboxrk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I"m 64, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2001. Since then I also have chronic fatigue, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, IBS, cardiac reflex, sleep apnea, low vitamin D, pacemaker, obesity with depression and asthma. My symptoms are chronic pain, fatigue, and muscle spasms; my fingers/toes/feet try to turn different directions and upside down. My fingers lock up in weird positions. I have headaches fibromyalgia fog, loss of eye focus, heart palpitations and my fingernails are ridged. I take Lyrica, Flexeril, Aleve, Nexium, propranolol, vitamin D and Aldactone (bones). Sleep, fresh fruits, swimming, walking and the medicines Lyrica, Aleve, and Flexeril are helping a lot. I still hurt.

Fibromyalgia - Symptoms Question: What were your initial fibromyalgia symptoms?
Fibromyalgia - Treatment Question: Please describe treatments that have been effective for your fibromyalgia.