Patient Comments: Fibromyalgia - Symptoms

What were your initial fibromyalgia symptoms?

Comment from: Cobra4, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have fibromyalgia, and it is very painful on some days. I take methocarbamol to relieve the pain. Sometimes it helps and other days it doesn't. I have had it now going on 16 years, there is no cure. So I try to live with it the best that I can. And it isn't easy.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I have just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia on December 5, 2016. I had the symptoms for a long time and it became unbearable. I am a Head Start preschool teacher and my attitude has changed, short tempered. It is time for me to retire. I am tired all the time and all I want to do is sleep. I don't sleep well at night. I have stopped taking naps because I am able to sleep the whole night. I know that I have to take one day at a time. This is not a mind over matter in this situation. I have support from my doctors, family and friends. I hope for patience with myself and healing. So I am in the same boat that all of you. I would like to thank each one of your for sharing your information.

Comment from: jthoen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I think I've had fibromyalgia for many years but was diagnosed approximately 10 years ago. I was working at Walmart and was just exhausted. Not the tiredness that sleep helps. I mean totally exhausted, with muscle pain. My primary doctor diagnosed fibromyalgia. He referred me to a rheumatologist. I was also diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.

Comment from: Harry Ice, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I have had fibromyalgia for at least 30 years. My initial symptoms were fatigue and lower back pain which were manageable, and I also became sensitive to hot and cold. I'm a 68 year old male still working but struggling at the moment with all the pain. It really kicked in in 1999 with widespread pain and extreme fatigue. I went on to develop pneumonia and during my stay in hospital had all the tests which came back positive with just minor wear and tear to my lumber region. I was discharged and told to get on with it and fought my way back to some kind of fitness again. I then had a breakdown and was admitted to a psychiatric ward following a botched suicide attempt. Somehow I clawed my way back to normality but as always the underlying issues were always there. Around 2012 I had another flare up with all the usual issues but this time my skin became sensitive around the back of my neck. Lots of tests over a 12 month period and again everything was positive. During this period I managed to work but, and just about hold my job down. I decided to pay privately to see a consultant rheumatologist who confirmed I met all the criteria for fibromyalgia. This was forwarded on to my general physician (GP) but it wasn't acknowledged and I was left once again to get on with it. I recovered again and felt ok until about 2 months ago and now going through a bad flare up and feel suicidal. My GP went through all my notes and dug out my letter confirming I have fibromyalgia and acknowledged the diagnosis. She has put me on Cymbalta 30 mg a day for now and after a week up the dose to 60 mg. I find that I'm sweating a lot and can't sleep, and I also feel anxious and jittery. I don't know how much longer I can carry on, I evaluate my quality of life at the minute and can't see any future. The impact on my wife is hard for me to take and she doesn't believe in fibromyalgia, thinks it's all in the head. Good luck to all people out there fighting this terrible disorder.

Comment from: RoyalGeek, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

After going from doctor to doctor, finally a neurologist suggested that I have fibromyalgia. My numerous blood tests were all good. CAT of my head was fine, MRI of my jaw and neck were fine, and x-ray of my chest was fine. I have chronic headaches and migraines, pain in my knees and elbows, collarbones and neck, hips, thighs, pelvis, jaw, even my underarms and sides of my breasts. I am always so tired and gained a bunch of weight. But according to my family doctor and others, I am fine. It is frustrating. I also have bad anxiety and am afraid I have something bad that the doctors might have missed. I'm tired of being in pain and refuse to take any pain medicines since my family has a history of addiction.

Fibromyalgia - Treatment Question: Please describe treatments that have been effective for your fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia - Diet and Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc.) have you found helpful in relieving fibromyalgia pain?