Patient Comments: Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Diagnosis

How was your fibrocystic breast condition diagnosed?

Comment from: paulette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had lumps removed from my right breast at 28 years old and taken to a lab for test and it was confirmed to be fibrocystic condition, and now at 36 years old I have lumps on the left breast. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound and I was told again that it is fibrocystic condition. Naturally I'm a little worried because I don't want to have another surgery. I wonder why it came back and if there is something I'm not doing right.

Comment from: DMMC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 14. Since than she has been in and out of hospitals with low or high blood sugar. She is 30 now and while she was pregnant with her first child she developed gastroparesis where she can't tolerate liquids or food and vomits everything up. After the baby was born after 30 weeks healthy and normal, it seemed to disappear. Now the baby is 3 and it has started all over again. She's now in the hospital after numerous times with this and her potassium was so low they had to give her 6 IV bags of it and it is still low. They told her to try that V8 juice to see if it does anything once she's out. This is so scary because it seems there is no cure for this gastroparesis and she can't live a normal life and do things to enjoy her baby with. It is horrible seeing your child go through these things and there's nothing you can do about it.

Comment from: fran, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had fibrocystic breasts for 25 years. I have tried lots of different pain killers and vitamins, nothing has worked for me. I keep begging the doctors to chop off my breasts, because anything is better than the constant pain I'm in. I have had biopsies and it is all clear. The relief I had after the biopsy was lovely because the cyst went down.

Comment from: c2000aj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have never had a regular menstrual cycle. I was diagnosed with FBD (fibrocystic breast disease) in Dec 2009. My breast would fill so badly they would be glossy. You could not brush up against them or I would cry. I went to a specialist and was given tamoxifen due to the severity. It makes you sick. I could only take it for a few weeks and then I could not handle it. I take primrose and vitamin E but it does not help. Massaging them helps but my doctor asked me not to do that.

Comment from: Bsanberg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I had Clostridium difficile colitis two months ago and took Flagyl and vancomycin. I did not take any antibiotics. The only medications I was on was Flomax. They said that would not cause it. It took me several hospital stays to get rid of it. Now it's back. I'm so upset to have to go through this again.

Comment from: Sweetiepie24, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am 24 years old and I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast disease and I have been on birth control for 2 years. I was also diagnosed with anxiety disorder and I usually get pain in both sides of my breasts and I do regular at-home breast exams usually in the shower. But my anxiety takes over and tells me its cancer. I feel like I am alone in this situation.

Comment from: emu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast condition about two years ago and the doctor said I had to undergo a surgery and have it removed. But I didn't, because of fear. Now, I'm experiencing occasional pain and the lump got bigger, though it stopped getting bigger a couple of months ago.

Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Experience Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you received for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Breast Cancer Risk and Concerns Question: If you have fibrocystic breasts, are you worried about developing breast cancer? Please share your concerns.