Patient Comments: Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Diagnosis

How was your fibrocystic breast condition diagnosed?

Comment from: paulette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had lumps removed from my right breast at 28 years old and taken to a lab for test and it was confirmed to be fibrocystic condition, and now at 36 years old I have lumps on the left breast. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound and I was told again that it is fibrocystic condition. Naturally I'm a little worried because I don't want to have another surgery. I wonder why it came back and if there is something I'm not doing right.

Comment from: fran, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had fibrocystic breasts for 25 years. I have tried lots of different pain killers and vitamins, nothing has worked for me. I keep begging the doctors to chop off my breasts, because anything is better than the constant pain I'm in. I have had biopsies and it is all clear. The relief I had after the biopsy was lovely because the cyst went down.

Comment from: c2000aj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have never had a regular menstrual cycle. I was diagnosed with FBD (fibrocystic breast disease) in Dec 2009. My breast would fill so badly they would be glossy. You could not brush up against them or I would cry. I went to a specialist and was given tamoxifen due to the severity. It makes you sick. I could only take it for a few weeks and then I could not handle it. I take primrose and vitamin E but it does not help. Massaging them helps but my doctor asked me not to do that.

Comment from: Sweetiepie24, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am 24 years old and I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast disease and I have been on birth control for 2 years. I was also diagnosed with anxiety disorder and I usually get pain in both sides of my breasts and I do regular at-home breast exams usually in the shower. But my anxiety takes over and tells me its cancer. I feel like I am alone in this situation.

Comment from: emu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast condition about two years ago and the doctor said I had to undergo a surgery and have it removed. But I didn't, because of fear. Now, I'm experiencing occasional pain and the lump got bigger, though it stopped getting bigger a couple of months ago.

Comment from: Maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have fibrocystic breast (FCB) for around 4 to 5 months now and it pains sometimes. I was never a fan of coffee and tea. Sport bra sometimes helps but the pain is still here. I think people who has FCB need to do a regular check up every 2 months (ultrasound) to see what's happening. Wish all the ladies with FCB good luck.

Comment from: INSPIRED DREAMS07, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed at the age of 24 and it is very painful when it does flare up. I was told it was caused by caffeine intake so I have cut back. When I really restrict myself from it I notice I am not in as much pain (it is tolerable) but when I go crazy with my soda and Starbucks it is game over, it even hurts to get out of bed. It is a struggle and painful way but just try to cut caffeine intake and take Advil for pain. Supportive bra's also a big help, I like to use my sturdy sports bra, it helps.

Comment from: Dance_Chick, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am currently 20 years old, and was diagnosed with Fibrocystic Breast Disease when I was 18, with symptoms occurring since the age of 17. As I am fairly young to have developed FBD, I have not yet had a baseline mammogram but that is my next step. I have found that decreasing my caffeine intake & stress levels and wearing supportive bras at night have helped the breast tenderness to some extent, but the lumps seem to be getting larger and multiplying as I get older. My mother has also been diagnosed with FBD, at about the age of 30, and has it to a somewhat lesser degree than I. For her, it became most prominent during pregnancy. I think we need to take care to educate even the younger population of women on this issue, as I was extremely caught off-guard when I discovered the lumps in my own breasts. For a girl of 18 years old, it can be a very scary and stressful discovery.

Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Experience Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you received for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Breast Cancer Risk and Concerns Question: If you have fibrocystic breasts, are you worried about developing breast cancer? Please share your concerns.