Patient Comments: Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Diagnosis

How was your fibrocystic breast condition diagnosed?

Comment from: c2000aj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have never had a regular menstrual cycle. I was diagnosed with FBD (fibrocystic breast disease) in Dec 2009. My breast would fill so badly they would be glossy. You could not brush up against them or I would cry. I went to a specialist and was given tamoxifen due to the severity. It makes you sick. I could only take it for a few weeks and then I could not handle it. I take primrose and vitamin E but it does not help. Massaging them helps but my doctor asked me not to do that.

Comment from: INSPIRED DREAMS07, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed at the age of 24 and it is very painful when it does flare up. I was told it was caused by caffeine intake so I have cut back. When I really restrict myself from it I notice I am not in as much pain (it is tolerable) but when I go crazy with my soda and Starbucks it is game over, it even hurts to get out of bed. It is a struggle and painful way but just try to cut caffeine intake and take Advil for pain. Supportive bra's also a big help, I like to use my sturdy sports bra, it helps.

Comment from: Dance_Chick, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am currently 20 years old, and was diagnosed with Fibrocystic Breast Disease when I was 18, with symptoms occurring since the age of 17. As I am fairly young to have developed FBD, I have not yet had a baseline mammogram but that is my next step. I have found that decreasing my caffeine intake & stress levels and wearing supportive bras at night have helped the breast tenderness to some extent, but the lumps seem to be getting larger and multiplying as I get older. My mother has also been diagnosed with FBD, at about the age of 30, and has it to a somewhat lesser degree than I. For her, it became most prominent during pregnancy. I think we need to take care to educate even the younger population of women on this issue, as I was extremely caught off-guard when I discovered the lumps in my own breasts. For a girl of 18 years old, it can be a very scary and stressful discovery.

Comment from: Nutty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I am 41 years old and have been having problems with my breasts for years. About a year ago, I noticed that my bras didn't fit well. I went to a store for a fitting, and found out I had gone from a D cut to a FF cut. That's when I noticed the pain. I went to a doctor, who dismissed that anything was wrong. I changed health plans and was later diagnosed with fibrocystic breast changes. I have since had four cysts drained and now have six-month check-ups.

Comment from: SamanthaC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am now 28 years old and was diagnosed with fibrous breast disease about a year ago. It is the most powerful thing that I have had to go through. I am still having this problem and trying to get some help from a doctor. I am unable to wear a regular bra and the pain has not gone away at all. They keep telling me that the pain will go away but it gets so bad on some days that I am unable to even function. I wish they can help and ease the pain down a little.

Comment from: worried, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I'm 21 now and it started when I was 18. I was given the wrong prognosis twice. When I was 18 I was told it was a blocked milk duct. I've since been told that isn't possible unless I've been pregnant, which I never have been. The second time I was 20 and was told it was a fibroadenoma and that it's nothing to worry about. I wanted to know more so I googled fibroadenoma and saw that it is benign tumors and then freaked out. A few weeks later I learn that I have fibrocystic breasts just like my mother, who had been telling me that's probably all it is. That freaked me out more as she had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. While those 2 things don't go hand in hand somehow while she was having her regular monthly scans and aspirations they missed the cancerous tumors hidden behind all the cysts. They said the cancerous tumors have been there at least 8 months before they noticed. I'm worried that one day mine could be cancer and they will miss it too.

Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Experience Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you received for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Breast Cancer Risk and Concerns Question: If you have fibrocystic breasts, are you worried about developing breast cancer? Please share your concerns.