Patient Comments: Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Breast Cancer Risk and Concerns

If you have fibrocystic breasts, are you worried about developing breast cancer? Please share your concerns.

Comment from: Sanding, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breasts from when I was in my teens. I had my first surgery at about 15 my second one in my early twenties. As I get older my worries increase that I might get cancer and what make it worse is my sister was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. She had to take off her right breast and is now doing chemotherapy. I started mammogram from the age of 25 and have been doing it every year along with ultra sound. I really get panic attacks when I think about it. Every year it is horror waiting on my result. Not easy at all!

Comment from: Louise, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Thank you for interesting articles, but they fail to mention two other causes of this condition. I have long standing fibrocystic breast disease caused by a prolactinoma and polycystic ovarian syndrome, neither of which are mentioned in your article. I have had problems since I was 16. I recently stopped taking bromocriptine which has controlled it since 1977, since I'm now 68 and my endocrinologist thought the prolactinoma was inactive after radiotherapy 50 years ago and long term medication. After only 6 weeks I have tenderness in the right breast and excruciating pain in the left, and have restarted bromocriptine and added a homeopathic remedy called Lachesis, both of which are helping. But as one of the other ladies suggested it is very difficult to distinguish between past cysts and breast cancer by mammography after a lifetime of this condition, and none of us relish several biopsies, particularly as the breasts get progressively bigger after each major flare up, so more tissue to scan.

Comment from: chesslpn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I began having pain and a thick area in my breast. I went to my physician and a sonogram was done, which showed a fluid filled cyst. I consulted with a surgeon and he doesn't want to do anything. He said it is fibrocystic breast. The one thing I cannot get anyone to pay attention to, is that my breast went from normal to lumpy and painful in 3 days. We feel slightly brushed off.

Comment from: Sonny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am 49 and have always had (for as long as I can remember) breast pain associated with my menstrual cycle. My general physician diagnosed me with 'lumpy breasts' about 8 years ago but from reading the threads on this site I now am convinced I have fibrocystic breasts. My pain was always worse when approaching my period, however of late, I'm in constant pain for 3 out of 4 weeks and only get slight relief when my period starts. As I'm now approaching menopause I stupidly thought that all this pain would go away when my period went away, but last month I had no relief whatsoever! My 6 year old has to hug me so gently and even with that I'm almost in tears with the pain. The shower is a huge challenge also. I've had both reflexology and acupuncture which helped somewhat but it was very costly and pain relief was only short term. From reading this thread I hope to start vitamin E. I already take evening primrose, don't drink tea or coffee, and exercise daily. I've always been slim (I'm 5'8' and weigh 140 lb.) but my bra size varies throughout the month from DD to a FF. Support or sports bras are great for nighttime and a must for exercising!

Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Experience Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Diagnosis Question: How was your fibrocystic breast condition diagnosed?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you received for your fibrocystic breast condition?