Patient Comments: Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Experience

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your fibrocystic breast condition?

Published: July 21

I am a big coffee hound, but find that if I consume caffeine the cysts become engorged and have had to have a breast aspiration. I choose to avoid caffeine than to forego the aspiration. I am a believer of oil of primrose rather than vitamin E. Primrose works great for me. I too miss the energy lift caffeine provides but find exercise and vitamin supplements give me a natural energy lift.

Published: July 11

I am only 32 years old, and I have two children. I found out about fibrocystic breast condition because my breasts would literally throb with pain and swell up so badly that I really didn't know from day to day what my bra size was going to be. My breasts started to leak clear fluid and then it changed to breast milk. My doctor ran blood tests to check my PSH and TSH levels along with other hormone tests, and they returned normal. I found a lump in my left breast and I had it removed for a biopsy, which returned benign. I have to return for another mammogram in five months, but I am still suffering from this disease.

Published: July 01

I am 67 and have had fibrocystic breasts for many, many years. Whenever they get painful, I stop drinking regular coffee and I get dramatic relief in a couple of days. But since I like regular coffee and it keeps me energy level high when I need to get physical things done, I gradually start drinking it again. It really only takes a couple of cups of regular coffee per day to bring back the discomfort and then I go back to decaffeinating myself again.

Published: June 20

Evening primrose has helped tremendously for pain.

Comment from: mmjc89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 19, almost 20, and have had this fibrocystic breast condition for more than a year! I have already had surgery, and there are more to come. I am also at a higher risk of breast cancer. I was surprised that I developed this at such a young age. I just wish that there was something more to do about it instead of surgery after surgery. But that is not possible for me. The pain is unbearable, and it is consistent. I never thought that I would ever have to deal with something like this at such a young age, and that I will have to live with it for the rest of my life on top of my other health problems: severe anxiety and anemia. Just one more thing to deal with I guess.

Comment from: totti, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I suffer very badly with the left breast pain and it is so bad that I faint with it. I my self cannot touch it or even let anyone come around me. Went to see my doctor and he said I have fibrocystic severe breast pain. Mine is the extreme case and that is why it is so painful. I can't sleep, can't move so I am sitting with the pain most of the time. I have been given Danazol last week so will try and see if this helps, but the pain is extreme.

Comment from: aryanna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was told I have Fibrocystic Breast Condition about 3 years ago. I was 22 years old. Apparently this runs in my family. I would have such bad pains in my breast that it would stop me dead in my tracks. I didn't want to breathe because it made it worse. I went to the doctor and she told me it was FBC and to try and stop intake of caffeine, if that didn't work to come back. I haven't been back since. I cut all caffeine out that day and I haven't had the pain since. I do remember once I was given a regular coffee instead of decaf and within a couple hours I was in really bad pain again. I really do believe that caffeine causes a lot of pain with FBC.

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I experience severe pain and tingling in breast. Similar to breast filling with milk. They are larger than normal. I am using IUD for birth control and do not have normal/regular monthly periods. Is this something I should be alarmed about?

Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Diagnosis Question: How was your fibrocystic breast condition diagnosed?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you received for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Breast Cancer Risk and Concerns Question: If you have fibrocystic breasts, are you worried about developing breast cancer? Please share your concerns.