Patient Comments: Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Experience

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your fibrocystic breast condition?

Published: June 20

Evening primrose has helped tremendously for pain.

Comment from: mmjc89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 19, almost 20, and have had this fibrocystic breast condition for more than a year! I have already had surgery, and there are more to come. I am also at a higher risk of breast cancer. I was surprised that I developed this at such a young age. I just wish that there was something more to do about it instead of surgery after surgery. But that is not possible for me. The pain is unbearable, and it is consistent. I never thought that I would ever have to deal with something like this at such a young age, and that I will have to live with it for the rest of my life on top of my other health problems: severe anxiety and anemia. Just one more thing to deal with I guess.

Comment from: totti, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I suffer very badly with the left breast pain and it is so bad that I faint with it. I my self cannot touch it or even let anyone come around me. Went to see my doctor and he said I have fibrocystic severe breast pain. Mine is the extreme case and that is why it is so painful. I can't sleep, can't move so I am sitting with the pain most of the time. I have been given Danazol last week so will try and see if this helps, but the pain is extreme.

Comment from: aryanna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was told I have Fibrocystic Breast Condition about 3 years ago. I was 22 years old. Apparently this runs in my family. I would have such bad pains in my breast that it would stop me dead in my tracks. I didn't want to breathe because it made it worse. I went to the doctor and she told me it was FBC and to try and stop intake of caffeine, if that didn't work to come back. I haven't been back since. I cut all caffeine out that day and I haven't had the pain since. I do remember once I was given a regular coffee instead of decaf and within a couple hours I was in really bad pain again. I really do believe that caffeine causes a lot of pain with FBC.

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I experience severe pain and tingling in breast. Similar to breast filling with milk. They are larger than normal. I am using IUD for birth control and do not have normal/regular monthly periods. Is this something I should be alarmed about?

Comment from: MyBreastsareDense, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was diagnosed with FBC when I was 15. It was recommended that I give up caffeine at that time, but I waited 2 more years. At that time I had 7 benign cysts. I gave up caffeine at 17, and was checked ten years later and had no cysts. In the past year I have noticed that even decaffeinated coffee causes breast pain, so I have given that up, started taking evening primrose oil, vitamin E, and given up underwire bras. The combination has helped, and although I'm not sure which one has the most effect I no longer wince when I'm hugged. My chest is not as prominent, which has made me a bit insecure, but the reduction in pain is well worth it. I now have sonograms every 6 months and mammograms every years. I'm 33.

Comment from: misunderstood, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I'm 16 and I've had this condition for two years. I just found out how to ease the pain that I've been living with since I was 14. I don't drink a lot of caffeine so the only thing I can do is drink absolutely no caffeine and take birth control, which gives the wrong impression bout me but I'd rather be talked about in school than deal with that horrible pain.

Comment from: lady love, 25-34 Female Published: September 09

I am now 33yrs old and have been suffering from Fibrocystic Breast Condition sine I was 24yrs old, the pain is really terrible. Vitamin E and Primrose oil really helps to relieve it.

Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Diagnosis Question: How was your fibrocystic breast condition diagnosed?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you received for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Breast Cancer Risk and Concerns Question: If you have fibrocystic breasts, are you worried about developing breast cancer? Please share your concerns.