Patient Comments: Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Experience

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your fibrocystic breast condition?

Comment from: , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

Having several nodules in both breasts, I have found that non-caffeine has completely eliminated any breast pain that I had experienced. A reduction in fatty foods is also a factor in my nodules remaining the same size over the course of time. I have experienced the nodules from the age of 23, and after breast feeding three children, the nodules became larger in one breast, and I developed a larger nodule in the other breast. When abstaining from caffeine, I rarely experience any breast discomfort, but when I do, it only lasts for an hour or so.

Comment from: megan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 20 years old i have had fibrocystic breast condition for two years now and it scares me to death! I am so young and I'm so scared I might get cancer. My doctor keeps putting me on the same meds and he wont do anything else. So I'm trying to find a new doctor. I had one mamagram when I first new I had it(18).Its scary going through this alone. I'm in so much pain all the time I stopped smoking and drinking caffeine and they seem to have not got any better at all!

Comment from: Kate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was recently diagnosed with fibrocystic breast condition by my gynecologist. She explained the situation to me. Occasionally I have a sharp jolting pain in the upper tissue of my right breast (only the right breast). Sometimes it pulsates and goes on and on for a long period of time and sometimes it is just a small pain for maybe 2 seconds.

Published: July 21

I am a big coffee hound, but find that if I consume caffeine the cysts become engorged and have had to have a breast aspiration. I choose to avoid caffeine than to forego the aspiration. I am a believer of oil of primrose rather than vitamin E. Primrose works great for me. I too miss the energy lift caffeine provides but find exercise and vitamin supplements give me a natural energy lift.

Published: July 11

I am only 32 years old, and I have two children. I found out about fibrocystic breast condition because my breasts would literally throb with pain and swell up so badly that I really didn't know from day to day what my bra size was going to be. My breasts started to leak clear fluid and then it changed to breast milk. My doctor ran blood tests to check my PSH and TSH levels along with other hormone tests, and they returned normal. I found a lump in my left breast and I had it removed for a biopsy, which returned benign. I have to return for another mammogram in five months, but I am still suffering from this disease.

Published: July 01

I am 67 and have had fibrocystic breasts for many, many years. Whenever they get painful, I stop drinking regular coffee and I get dramatic relief in a couple of days. But since I like regular coffee and it keeps me energy level high when I need to get physical things done, I gradually start drinking it again. It really only takes a couple of cups of regular coffee per day to bring back the discomfort and then I go back to decaffeinating myself again.

Published: June 20

Evening primrose has helped tremendously for pain.

Comment from: mmjc89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 19, almost 20, and have had this fibrocystic breast condition for more than a year! I have already had surgery, and there are more to come. I am also at a higher risk of breast cancer. I was surprised that I developed this at such a young age. I just wish that there was something more to do about it instead of surgery after surgery. But that is not possible for me. The pain is unbearable, and it is consistent. I never thought that I would ever have to deal with something like this at such a young age, and that I will have to live with it for the rest of my life on top of my other health problems: severe anxiety and anemia. Just one more thing to deal with I guess.

Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Diagnosis Question: How was your fibrocystic breast condition diagnosed?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you received for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Breast Cancer Risk and Concerns Question: If you have fibrocystic breasts, are you worried about developing breast cancer? Please share your concerns.