Patient Comments: Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Experience

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your fibrocystic breast condition?

Comment from: Louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have had fibrocystic breast condition (FBC) since adolescence. I was diagnosed at 30. I would just like to share I was also told that yeast products such as white bread and beer also affects the breasts. Also was told to avoid reaching up as to wash walls or any repetitive reaching. Yes, the caffeine/chocolate cut off took me from 44DD to 38D while breast feeding down to 36B. Hope this input may be beneficial to some.

Comment from: dulce d., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I am 22 years old and I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast condition (FBC) a week ago. It is very painful and I have lumps in both my breasts. I currently breastfeed my two year old baby, I hope it will not harm him. I am getting an ultrasound on Tuesday, which I am very scared about!

Comment from: Liz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Ladies, check the ingredients of all your moisturizing products for parabens, such as methylparaben. These are "estrogen mimickers" that provoke fibrocystic breast condition. Eliminating these from my life has almost eliminated my condition, which is otherwise very severe. When my condition flares up, it always is because I have changed face or body moisturizers and the ingredients were not fully disclosed on the bottle (although they will be listed on the box or on the company's website). After researching, I will find they contain parabens. Look for very long words whose second half is "-paraben." It's not easy. Practically every lotion has this ingredient. The Aveeno oatmeal lotion does not have it. For my face cream, I currently am making my own from pure shea butter, avocado oil, etc. because I cannot afford the expensive products that don't have parabens. Eliminating parabens from my regimen is what has enabled me to live without fibrocystic breasts!

Comment from: Melissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

You guys have been a big help. I am 26 now, but my breast started feeling heavy around 19, but I didn't think anything of it because it came before my monthly cycle and would leave about a week later. Finally around 21 it started being really consistent and my breast were always hard in a certain area finally I went to my doctor. Who sent me to a lab because I have small breast and could not get a regular mammogram. That's when the tech told me it was fibrocystic and I was ok. No one told me what it was or what it derives from. I am a heavy coffee drinker and have been drinking coffee since I was 9. I drink about 5 cups a day. No soda etc. just coffee. Now that I know it's probably the cause, I will try and cut back. It will be really hard but it's nice to hear from women who understand.

Comment from: Mandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had a huge cyst in one breast at 15 years old and since then, it very quickly progressed to fibrocystic disease in both breasts. I am now 48 years old and have had many years of indescribable pain. I have tried cutting out caffeine but there was no change at all. Evening primrose oil does help slightly. I have cysts on a regular basis and have been to the hospital many times with leakage and suspect lumps. What worries me most is that if I did have a cancerous lump, I would never find it! It is such a painful condition and I feel that many people do not realize how much agony we are in. Here's hoping that someone someday will come up with a cure.

Comment from: Candice, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breasts about a month ago. At first I was scared but then I had a breast exam. I am 18 and it is a problem that I've since I've had breasts, so it is often annoying. The doctor put me on an oral contraceptive and I have completely stopped the caffeine. The one thing I wish is that there was a pill that can just take it away, but reality doesn't work that way. I am often scared and I don't want a biopsy but all I can do is pray for the best and thank Him for not having breast cancer. The pain is somewhat in the middle category. I do have irregular periods, but I am so frustrated with it as it gets in the way of things in my life. The one thing I can say to you all is don't panic. Like the facts say, over 60% of us have this stupid condition so you are not alone!

Comment from: selfconscious, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I made the mistake of surgery, twice in the same area. The first one showed very little change in appearance of my breast, but the second one left me indented and a half size smaller. My other breast had a large cyst removed from underneath the nipple - so it is prolapsed. Wish I could find someone to help fix their appearance. No plastic surgery to fix it - insurance said it was cosmetic. They definitely do not understand women. I have another one - large, no pain (in the same general area of the two previous surgeries). I just discovered, but no more surgery. It does not hurt and I am going to leave it alone. I have very irregular muscle tissue in both breasts and it can be very frustrating. Mammogram and ultrasound every year due to the deformity of my one breast.

Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Diagnosis Question: How was your fibrocystic breast condition diagnosed?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you received for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Breast Cancer Risk and Concerns Question: If you have fibrocystic breasts, are you worried about developing breast cancer? Please share your concerns.