Patient Comments: Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Experience

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your fibrocystic breast condition?

Comment from: JeniM, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been suffering from fibrocystic breast condition for almost 10 years. I will be 34 in 4 months! It"s worse now than it has ever been. Until this year, I"ve never had medical insurance. I"ve been to the emergency room plenty of times. Sonograms galore! Just for them to tell me it"s fibrocystic, pain pills, go home. However, now I have so much pain a brisk walk puts me in tears and the doctors are suggesting a bilateral subcutaneous mastectomy. I"m reluctant but not ruling it out!

Comment from: Candice, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breasts about a month ago. At first I was scared but then I had a breast exam. I am 18 and it is a problem that I've since I've had breasts, so it is often annoying. The doctor put me on an oral contraceptive and I have completely stopped the caffeine. The one thing I wish is that there was a pill that can just take it away, but reality doesn't work that way. I am often scared and I don't want a biopsy but all I can do is pray for the best and thank Him for not having breast cancer. The pain is somewhat in the middle category. I do have irregular periods, but I am so frustrated with it as it gets in the way of things in my life. The one thing I can say to you all is don't panic. Like the facts say, over 60% of us have this stupid condition so you are not alone!

Comment from: 1111healer, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I was diagnosed was fibrocystic breast disease 15 years ago when I was 28. I had no idea what was wrong and because of my age - my MD REFUSED to give me a mammogram. I had to wait a month in agony until the mobile unit came to my city and I was able to get a mammography offered. What they found was not cancer (as I feared) but a self-inflicted fibrocystic condition. What a relief! I realized that I was drinking a lot of coffee and other caffeinated stuff (my job was production based - the faster we worked - the more we got paid!) I stopped all caffeine - and the problem went away. Every now and then - I slack on my restriction - and yes, the pain comes back again. So, for me no caffeine. No problem. If it is that simple for me to be out of pain, I'll gladly do it. To continue with the caffeine could lead to changes in the tissue from a cellular aspect and may result in breast cancer due to the mutations. No thanks, there are other ways (healthy ones) to "get energy.” I find that macrobiotic eating, high O2 foods and drinks and exercise really help.

Comment from: selfconscious, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I made the mistake of surgery, twice in the same area. The first one showed very little change in appearance of my breast, but the second one left me indented and a half size smaller. My other breast had a large cyst removed from underneath the nipple - so it is prolapsed. Wish I could find someone to help fix their appearance. No plastic surgery to fix it - insurance said it was cosmetic. They definitely do not understand women. I have another one - large, no pain (in the same general area of the two previous surgeries). I just discovered, but no more surgery. It does not hurt and I am going to leave it alone. I have very irregular muscle tissue in both breasts and it can be very frustrating. Mammogram and ultrasound every year due to the deformity of my one breast.

Published: July 24

I have just turned 50 and have been referred for a mammogram by my GP due to experiencing pain in my left breast. Occasionally more recently I am experiencing a sharp shooting pain in the area that is painful - just below the nipple and very painful to touch. Both my breasts would generally be quite tender and coming up to my menstrual cycle the pain becomes increasingly worse. There is no visual change in either of my breasts and on my GP's examination she has said she doesn't feel any lumps but has advised me to check things out. She has mentioned I may have a condition known as costochondritis. On reading your article and symptoms on fibrocystic breast condition it seems a more likely diagnosis.

Published: July 09

I am 37 with four children. I had a benign tumor removed from my left breast about six years ago. Lately, I have been experiencing such deep pain that I have to literally hold my breast to keep from crying in public. I can't sleep well and also have to "guard" from much needed and appreciated hugs. The pain can be unbearable. Unfortunately, people don't think much of it if it is not serious as is cancer. I am grateful not to have cancer but wish people would learn more about this disease. I find that even the movement of my arm brushing against my breast will almost bring me to tears.

Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Diagnosis Question: How was your fibrocystic breast condition diagnosed?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you received for your fibrocystic breast condition?
Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Breast Cancer Risk and Concerns Question: If you have fibrocystic breasts, are you worried about developing breast cancer? Please share your concerns.