Table of Contents
- Ferritin blood test facts
- What is ferritin?
- What is the ferritin blood test?
- How does one prepare for a ferritin blood test?
- How is the test performed?
- What are the potential side effects of a ferritin blood test?
- What are normal results for a ferritin test?
- What does an elevated ferritin level mean
- What does a low ferritin level mean?
Ferritin blood test facts
- The ferritin test measures the level of ferritin, the major iron storage protein in the body.
- The ferritin test is a simple blood test.
- High levels of ferritin can indicate an iron storage disorder, such as hemochromatosis, or a chronic disease process.
- Low levels of ferritin are indicative of iron deficiency, which causes anemia (a reduction in the number of red blood cells).
Longo, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
2."Vacutainer blood bottles" by Tannim101