Fecal Occult Blood Tests Index
A fecal occult blood test (FOBT) is performed on samples of stool in order to detect occult blood in otherwise normal–colored stool. There are two types of fecal occult blood tests: chemical and immunologic. FOBT is primarily used to detect colon cancer. The test can also help discover colon polyps, some of which are a precursor of colon cancer.
In This Article
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding) Article
- Rectal bleeding (blood in stool) definition and facts
- What does rectal bleeding (blood in stool) mean?
- What are causes of blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)?
- What diseases and conditions can cause blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)?
- Anal fissures
- Colon cancer and polyps
- Colitis and proctitis
- Meckel's diverticulum
- Rare causes of rectal bleeding
- What kind of doctor treats rectal bleeding?
- When should I call a doctor for blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)?
- How is the cause of blood in the stool (rectal bleeding) diagnosed?
- History and physical examination
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Radionuclide scans
- Visceral angiogram
- Video capsule and small intestine endoscopy
- MRI and CT tomographic angiography
- Nasogastric tube aspiration
- Blood tests
- What is the treatment for rectal bleeding (blood in the stool)?
- Can rectal bleeding (blood in the stool) be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of rectal bleeding (blood in the stool)?
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...learn more »
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...learn more »
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...learn more »
In This Article
Colon Cancer Article
- Colon cancer facts
- What is cancer?
- What is cancer of the colon and rectum?
- What are the causes and risk factors of colon cancer?
- What are the signs and symptoms of colon cancer?
- What tests can be done to detect and diagnose colon cancer?
- What are the stages of colon cancer?
- What are the treatments and survival rates for colon cancer?
- What is the follow-up care for colon cancer?
- What is the prognosis for patients with colorectal cancer?
- Is it possible to prevent colon cancer?
Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining. Causes of gastritis include drinking too much alcohol, medications such as...learn more »