Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Causes

What caused your fatty liver?

Comment from: gardo5, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I believe my fatty liver was caused because I drank alcohol when I had glandular fever. I had glandular fever when I was 21, it took doctors 6 weeks to diagnose whilst it was my 21st birthday and Christmas, I drank too much. I was told I was lucky, if the germ migrated 3 or 4 more inches I would have died. Since then I suffer same ailments, I had 6 biopsies, all say fatty liver or NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) but not yet cirrhosis. For 30 years I am one short step to cirrhosis and shortening of life. Yes, I've also been tested for iron overload and copper overload.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) finally about 18 months ago. I have had high ALT for at least ten years but only went to a doctor rarely. ALT is in the 180 to 100 range. I'm a farmer who is fit and strong, not overweight, and mostly well with most of the symptoms described. I may have had ten drinks per annum, no drug use legal or illegal, and healthy balanced diet, excellent cholesterol and just occasional high blood pressure. I drive heavy machinery daily so no booze. I had a bad marriage and divorced the wife; and lowered the ALT with low protein diet and vegetarian, which now works well. I have 1 gram of protein per day per kg of live weight; animal protein is hard on the liver, vegetarian diet feel heaps better. It's a lot a harder to be vegetarian than divorced.

Comment from: SM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

About a year and a half ago I was having severe pain in my upper right side. It wasn't very often but when it happened, it would wake me from my sleep. I went to the doctor and they did an ultrasound thinking maybe it was a cyst. When the results came in, it showed that I had fatty liver. I was then sent to a specialist where I was diagnosed with NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). I have metabolic syndrome, which includes high blood pressure, high cholesterol and elevated blood sugar. I am overweight and have been my entire life. My doctor said for me to lose weight and exercise. I am on pain medication that I take every day, along with blood pressure medications and cholesterol medications. My pain episodes seem to be getting worse and more frequent even with the medicine. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and I have lost 38lbs. Last night I had an episode of severe pain and vomiting. This was the first time that the pain led to that. I go back to the doctor in a month and will have my enzymes tested along with other lab work.

Comment from: Max, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I have been diagnosed with NAFLD. I have never been obese and weight just 154 pounds for a height of 180 cm. The reason for my NAFLD is the abuse of high fructose corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup laden foods. I was big on waffles and pancakes with lots of sugar syrup, and ended up with NAFLD after years of abuse. However, the liver is a lot better now after I stopped consuming white sugar and high fructose corn syrup, and replaced these sugars with palm sugar and maple syrup. I also changed by diet from red meat diet to white meat and pulses diet. Another help in controlling this disease is drinking black coffee without sugar moderately.

Comment from: Hoghead, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I am 42, used to lift weights, let the stomach go about 8 years ago and now I have a "beer belly" without drinking any. Despite that I have always had lots of muscle mass; I've been told I was morbidly obese for 5'11 and 275 lbs. Even at my lowest weight of 225 (the healthiest I've ever felt) I was still overweight due to muscle mass. However, for the past 4 years I have had slight nagging pains in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen, just below the rib cage. I recently broke some ribs and told the doctor of these pains. An ultrasound found that my liver is fatty and this is thought to be the reason for the infrequent pains. I'm taking this VERY SERIOUSLY and I am going to lose weight through diet. I have been a meat and taters man, but I can't go on like this forever.

Fatty Liver - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?