Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: BNM52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I wonder if treatment for breast cancer can cause fatty liver. I had large amounts of steroids to prevent allergic reaction. My eyes were yellow and I had a rash that itched and looked like poison ivy. At one point my toenails and fingernails turned yellow, were thick and raised up. I lost some toenails. They cancelled my treatment for those 2 weeks. I told my doctor that I thought I needed to do a liver cleanse because I was toxic. They told me I had a fatty liver.

Comment from: shelley2655, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease on Friday. I was quite shocked and the doctor's physician assistant didn"t explain much about it, just that my enzymes were elevated and to eat a fat free diet. I was also told this could turn into cirrhosis of the liver, pretty scary. I have pain in the right side just under my ribcage and it radiates around to my back. I did find that laying on my right side helps relieve the pain. I did some research and I had every symptom. GERD, change in bowel habits, flaky patches on my skin, tiredness, no energy, etc.

Comment from: hope this helps, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I'm a 53-year-old white male. I have been diagnosed with NASH. I had always had blood work and a full physical performed on my 40th and then 50th birthdays. On my 40th, my liver enzymes where slightly abnormal, but I was told not to worry. On my 50th, the test showed high iron in the blood, and I began to worry. I also had a very dark urine stream. I was also having chest pains, which prompted more tests for the heart. These proved negative, which led them to do a CAT scan of the lungs. That also proved negative, but it showed a fatty liver. A liver biopsy showed cirrhosis, and the final diagnosis was NASH. I had a gene test that showed a bad gene. I have had the iron reduced through phlebotomy. I have also had pain in my knee joints, which is relieved by glucosamine. I have never been a drinker.

Comment from: BillB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a 20 year survivor of NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). I first noticed pain on my right side mostly while driving. Eventually my liver protruded downward past my belly button. The pain, from what I understand, is from my intestines hitting the sack that holds my liver. I can only sleep on my left side or else pain will start. It's been a tough and frightful ride but now I understand a new drug is on trial, called Intercept. I hope it's not too late for me.

Comment from: Sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been having pain in my right side for years now. My appendix ruptured and was removed. My gallbladder wasn't working, so that too was removed. Since I continued to have pain, I went back to my doctor and after an ultrasound, was told that I have an enlarged or fatty liver. I am not extremely obese, but I am a little on the heavy side, so I was told to come down and to cut down on my fat intake. No one bothered to ask me about my diet. I rarely eat any fried foods whatsoever; I pretty much bake everything I eat (poultry and only certain types of fish) unless I am eating fruits and veggies. I am upset because I do not really know what else to do and I am still in pain. I have quit working because the pain is unbearable at times. My job was good to me and continued to pay my insurance for three months, but soon I will no longer have insurance.

Comment from: San, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 53 year old female who just had some blood test done. It came back and the doctor told me I have a fatty liver. I have very little pain but I am tired.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?