Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: minikuroneko, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My symptoms of fatty liver have mostly included upper right abdominal pain, fatigue and steatorrhea (presence of excess fat in feces). I am a 27 year-old female, and was diagnosed at 24 through an ultrasound done to investigate the source of the persistent upper abdominal pain. I have never been overweight. I do not drink or smoke. I do not have diabetes, high blood pressure or hyperlipidemia. My liver enzymes have thankfully never been altered in any blood test, but the symptoms persist, and both ultrasound and contrast CAT scan are consistent with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), with a high degree of fat build-up. Doctors are split between two possible causes for my NAFLD, continued use of oral birth control or polycystic ovary syndrome. If you are a female NAFLD patient, please bear these two possible causes in mind. As a Veterinary Medicine Master's degree student I can attest that, medically, these are sound and probable causes for NAFLD, and are, unfortunately, underplayed and underrepresented online and otherwise.

Comment from: BNM52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I wonder if treatment for breast cancer can cause fatty liver. I had large amounts of steroids to prevent allergic reaction. My eyes were yellow and I had a rash that itched and looked like poison ivy. At one point my toenails and fingernails turned yellow, were thick and raised up. I lost some toenails. They cancelled my treatment for those 2 weeks. I told my doctor that I thought I needed to do a liver cleanse because I was toxic. They told me I had a fatty liver.

Comment from: shelley2655, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease on Friday. I was quite shocked and the doctor's physician assistant didn"t explain much about it, just that my enzymes were elevated and to eat a fat free diet. I was also told this could turn into cirrhosis of the liver, pretty scary. I have pain in the right side just under my ribcage and it radiates around to my back. I did find that laying on my right side helps relieve the pain. I did some research and I had every symptom. GERD, change in bowel habits, flaky patches on my skin, tiredness, no energy, etc.

Comment from: hope this helps, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I'm a 53-year-old white male. I have been diagnosed with NASH. I had always had blood work and a full physical performed on my 40th and then 50th birthdays. On my 40th, my liver enzymes where slightly abnormal, but I was told not to worry. On my 50th, the test showed high iron in the blood, and I began to worry. I also had a very dark urine stream. I was also having chest pains, which prompted more tests for the heart. These proved negative, which led them to do a CAT scan of the lungs. That also proved negative, but it showed a fatty liver. A liver biopsy showed cirrhosis, and the final diagnosis was NASH. I had a gene test that showed a bad gene. I have had the iron reduced through phlebotomy. I have also had pain in my knee joints, which is relieved by glucosamine. I have never been a drinker.

Comment from: dazzer991, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I have enlarged liver with fatty content and I been having pain in my right and I am type one diabetic.

Comment from: RAYANNE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

It's been a year now, the upper right side of my tummy is bulging out, feels like if you poked me with something sharp I would pop. But then finally I was relieved of the pressure and pain. I was also diagnosed with a fatty liver only by ultra sound and elevated liver enzymes on blood test. I don't want to get the liver biopsy if there's no point, which it sounds like. Same advice they are going to give me; to lose weight. I'm trying but it's hard. I feel bad. I think my husband just thinks I'm crazy but I'm in pain all the time and when I hold our 1 year old son, after about 5 minutes. It is just awful. I am so glad I found this site and everyone is having exactly the same symptoms as me! I feel like crying everyday I'm so tired of dealing with the constant pain, it's so old I feel I cannot enjoy life anymore.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?