Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: NASH13, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

My enlarged liver was found last year when I was in a car accident. I have been seeing doctors constantly since. I have found out that my doctors were aware before the accident but never bothered to tell me despite several emergency room trips over the course of two years where they just kept telling me I was having a bout of gastroenteritis. The accident broke vertebrae and bruised my liver more than the already present damage. I have since received the diagnosis as well as being told that I have thickening of my abdominal wall. I am a nurse and know that the thickening could be a sign of cancer. I cannot get any doctor to take this seriously and try to help me. I eat less than 1400 calories a day and now that my back has healed. I exercise an hour and half 3 to 4 times a week. My weight continues to rise though and I look 6 months pregnant. Still I cannot get them to take it seriously. I have been told I should not be having pain though I am in pain all day and vomit often from it. I am tired all the time so much so I have to mentally force myself to do everything I do. It scares me because I feel like I am dying and doctors just don't care. All I have been told was lose weight. When I tell them what I am doing already I get a flip response, 'Well do more'. I have frequent headaches and sometimes just wish it would kill me already because it has ruined my life. I am at least glad to see I am not alone.

Comment from: MsSara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

My journey with fatty liver started with losing weight rapidly, vomiting, fever, and terrible pain on my right side. After being told that it was anxiety numerous times, a mass was found by ultrasound and confirmed by CT. When it was removed from my liver it showed severe fatty liver. My doctors dismissed this and acted like it was no big deal. One month later my pain worsened and another mass was discovered. Biopsy showed a tumor of unknown origin and NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). Still the doctors where I live had no clue what NASH was and acted like I was crazy because my pain continued to get worse. I don't drink, not overweight, don't have diabetes or high cholesterol. Finally I called a well-known clinic outside of my state. This doctor knew exactly what NASH is and I was started on Trental and vitamin E over a week ago. I feel so sick, exhausted, and in terrible pain but I have hope. It amazes me with my experience and reading other's experiences that doctors treat NAFLD (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease) like it's a minor illness or they don't know what it is at all. Research and education is badly needed with these diseases.

Comment from: minikuroneko, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My symptoms of fatty liver have mostly included upper right abdominal pain, fatigue and steatorrhea (presence of excess fat in feces). I am a 27 year-old female, and was diagnosed at 24 through an ultrasound done to investigate the source of the persistent upper abdominal pain. I have never been overweight. I do not drink or smoke. I do not have diabetes, high blood pressure or hyperlipidemia. My liver enzymes have thankfully never been altered in any blood test, but the symptoms persist, and both ultrasound and contrast CAT scan are consistent with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), with a high degree of fat build-up. Doctors are split between two possible causes for my NAFLD, continued use of oral birth control or polycystic ovary syndrome. If you are a female NAFLD patient, please bear these two possible causes in mind. As a Veterinary Medicine Master's degree student I can attest that, medically, these are sound and probable causes for NAFLD, and are, unfortunately, underplayed and underrepresented online and otherwise.

Comment from: BNM52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I wonder if treatment for breast cancer can cause fatty liver. I had large amounts of steroids to prevent allergic reaction. My eyes were yellow and I had a rash that itched and looked like poison ivy. At one point my toenails and fingernails turned yellow, were thick and raised up. I lost some toenails. They cancelled my treatment for those 2 weeks. I told my doctor that I thought I needed to do a liver cleanse because I was toxic. They told me I had a fatty liver.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?