Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Natalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have had bloating of the stomach for years and a dull ache that was always there. I had every test possible and they just put it down to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), so l just put up with it. But a few weeks back l was feeling very unwell and had a hard time getting all my urine out. I had to push down really hard to empty my bladder, so l went to the doctor and l thought l had a urinary tract infection (UTI), got some antibiotics and went home. On the 2nd night of taking the medications l woke up in the worst pain l had ever felt. My partner drove me to emergency and l had a catheter and some tests. What was strange is that my urine came back clear for infection but they did tell me l had a severe fatty liver but they don't know what caused the pain. I still am bloated and feeling sick.

Comment from: David747, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I was prescribed Advil for a prolonged period. Painkillers masked the pain, and I was not aware of the progress of the fatty liver disease until I began to faint after meals and had toxic shock episodes. I was also 40 lb overweight at the time. I was repeatedly misdiagnosed in emergency rooms, and by my primary care physician, who prescribed me Cymbalta for reporting these symptoms. So it took a significant amount of time before they realized my liver was 28 cm in size, after a couple of awful episodes. They believed I had seizures and made a CT scan of my abdomen because of breathing problems, and eventually radiologist's impressions noted my liver was off the charts. I managed now to get my liver size down to 17 cm in about six months. I stopped taking all of the medication. My temporary bed was a lazy boy recliner to prevent pressure on the liver and reduce gastric problems. I strictly avoided nicotine, MSG, alcohol, medicines, fats, sugar, and salt. I take milk thistle capsules, 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg in the evening. I take green tea half a gallon a day and black coffee, no sugar no sweetener. Typical breakfast is egg white on olive oil, one gluten-free toast, and black coffee. Typical main meal is steamed brown rice with small grilled piece of chicken breast, with very lightly seasoned cucumber salad or coleslaw without mayo or any other good cooked vegetables like bok choy, cauliflower or spinach. No dinner. No food six hours before bed time. For a while, it was very painful to eat, so it was not hard to stick to the diet. I felt incredibly weird when toxins were flowing through my veins; I had a feeling of floating with odd neural signals all over my body. I did not have much of appetite, was almost scared to eat, but it was all right because I lost most of the bad weight. I am still losing weight, but I can now tolerate larger portions for breakfast, like gluten-free pancakes with nuts and fruits, I also mix a bit of honey in my morning coffee. I manage to sleep on real bed, for about 4 to 5 hours in one piece. I now have enough energy to make 2000 to 3000 steps a day. I will likely take another 6 to 8 months until liver begins to regenerate at the faster pace, but it looks like I am on the right track.

Comment from: NASH13, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

My enlarged liver was found last year when I was in a car accident. I have been seeing doctors constantly since. I have found out that my doctors were aware before the accident but never bothered to tell me despite several emergency room trips over the course of two years where they just kept telling me I was having a bout of gastroenteritis. The accident broke vertebrae and bruised my liver more than the already present damage. I have since received the diagnosis as well as being told that I have thickening of my abdominal wall. I am a nurse and know that the thickening could be a sign of cancer. I cannot get any doctor to take this seriously and try to help me. I eat less than 1400 calories a day and now that my back has healed. I exercise an hour and half 3 to 4 times a week. My weight continues to rise though and I look 6 months pregnant. Still I cannot get them to take it seriously. I have been told I should not be having pain though I am in pain all day and vomit often from it. I am tired all the time so much so I have to mentally force myself to do everything I do. It scares me because I feel like I am dying and doctors just don't care. All I have been told was lose weight. When I tell them what I am doing already I get a flip response, 'Well do more'. I have frequent headaches and sometimes just wish it would kill me already because it has ruined my life. I am at least glad to see I am not alone.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?