Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: maggie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Wow, I am a nurse and have been suffering with pain in the right side, feeling like something is pushing my ribs apart and the right side also protrudes out farther than the left. I finally got my Doc to listen, had an ultrasound and her medical asst called me and very rudely told me that I needed to lose weight. I said, no kidding. It is getting worse and I have heard that they really should do a biopsy to get an accurate diagnosis. I am just frustrated with how hard it is to get anyone to listen to you and do something to help. It is very painful. Has anyone else had the swelling or protrusion? If so, what do your doctor say?

Comment from: diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

About 5 years ago I had elevated enzymes and was sent to a liver doctor who then diagnosed fatty liver. This past year my enzymes have been increasing with every blood test. My PCP thought it may have been due to a statin drug which I had been taking. After being off the drug for 2 months, more blood work was done and still my enzymes continued to climb. I had an ultrasound done and am scheduled for a liver biopsy. I am 54, type II diabetic with metabolic syndrome.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?