Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: San, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 53 year old female who just had some blood test done. It came back and the doctor told me I have a fatty liver. I have very little pain but I am tired.

Comment from: Calfornian Vegan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I had been suffering from a dull abdominal pain (upper right) for about 5 years. Went through all the procedures, CT, MRI, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy. Myriads of pharma - nothing got rid of the dull pain. Finally saw a new GP and he prescribed Nortriptyline a low grade pain killer at a very low dose. Within 3 days the pain was subsided and now it is gone altogether. This is just masking the symptoms but anytime you can relieve the pain it's ok with me! Finally, during my annual checkup, bloodwork came back all messed up. Diagnosed with Graves (hyperthyroid). Got that under control and next blood tests showed elevated liver panels. Diagnosed NASH. I don't drink, not obese ...not sure why I have this. Seeing GI specialist tomorrow to find out the extent of liver damage. My main point on writing this was that Nortriptyline really did help my abdominal pain.

Comment from: maurajd79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had pains on my right side for a while, then it got to where it was unbearable, especially after eating (would have to prop myself up on my elbow to have some relief), at times felt as bad as labor pains and would swell so much I could see it. I went to the doctor, thinking gallbladder and after poking and asking questions, stated I needed an ultrasound. Went and had it done and was informed I have NASH. I am 34 and overweight, so was informed to lose about 10 pounds a month, no fried foods, only baked or grilled, lots of veggies, fruits and whole grains. Since late April, have lost 25 pounds and changed my eating. Still working on exercise routine (hard working full time, mother of a 5 year old and house chores after work) but I am getting active when I can. Still have pains, and will have more testing in September to see if now my gallbladder is acting up. Overall, happy with the lifestyle changes and it is helping my family as a whole be healthier. Disappointed in myself that I got this way by eating bad foods, but just lucky they caught it early enough where it can possibly heal.

Comment from: Jody, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Oh wow – other NASH people! Several doctors tested and retested my gallbladder, due to extreme pain. I had CT scans and ultrasounds. Finally, three more ultrasounds were done while training a new person. This time, it was rubbed all over my stomach instead of just on the gallbladder. Of course, I was sent to my doctor right away. Here's my question – I noticed many of you rarely drink, or don't drink at all, like myself. But my mother is an alcoholic. I was curious if there are any studies related to the chances of a fetus getting NASH from a drinking mother.

Comment from: tallblond, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was told by a doctor a month ago, while having a surgery, that my liver looked white and abnormal. I had all labs and a CT scan done, and it is all normal. I am thin, weight 130 pounds, am tall, have never been a drinker; I exercise, and eat OK. I have pain and fullness in my abdomen. The doctor says I may have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), but I do not have all the symptoms. I feel frustrated and am wondering if I should get a second opinion.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed because I had pain where the liver is. I couldn't seem to lose weight no matter what I did. My stomach kept bloating up, and it would be hard to breathe. The ultrasound showed diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver.

Comment from: Judith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I took a three week trip last June 2008. I thought maybe my posture wasn't good because I kept having a pain under the right rib cage. After about 10 weeks I went to my doctor, she sent me for an ultrasound and the diagnosis was fatty liver. The only advice was to watch what I ate and lose weight. I have lost 16 pounds but every so often I have very painful attacks.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?