Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 14

Prior to having the ultra sound, I was experiencing attacks everyday and missed a lot of work as a result of it. I am experiencing a number of symptoms. Mine first started with severe pain in the upper chest where the ribs separate. I thought for sure it was gallbladder attacks as it penetrated through to the back. I experienced severe bloating and excessive stomach acids after the onset of this pain. I walked the floors for hours at night. First, these symptoms would occur after eating the evening meal, then changed to anytime. This went on for about 4 years. Now the pain is more localized to the upper right rib area where it feels as if there is not enough room in there for everything. Even if I get hungry, the onset of acids and bloating react the same as if I had eaten. I was diagnosed with fatty liver after an ultra sound. I am now experiencing abdominal cramping and going to the bathroom more often. That is a huge change for me. The doctor has also informed me that my good cholesterol levels have dropped 30%, while the bad cholesterol was good. (I take medication to control the bad cholesterol). He seemed very concerned about that. I had an ultra sound 3 years ago, but they found nothing. I had pain and discomfort for about a year before that.

Published: July 09

I began having pain in my abdomen the first of the year. I thought it was a kidney stone again. After several tests including a liver biopsy I was diagnosed with fatty liver. My doctor said it wasn't fat build up but too much carbs and sugar in my liver. I'm confused, everything I've read on fatty liver talks about too much fat in the liver not carbs and sugar. I am over weight I lost 60 pounds three years ago and I've been gaining and loosing the same 10-15 pounds the past year.

Published: July 09

The suspicion of Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease started after finding my Liver enzymes were elevated on a blood test for a life insurance policy. At that time I did not have any symptoms. Shortly after the diagnoses I began having a dull ache and a feeling of fullness to the upper right quadrant of my abdomen.

Published: June 27

I have had pain now for many years. I have had my gallbladder removed, appendix removed, scar tissue removed, hysterectomy (everything there removed). Now i am told that the pain is from a fatty liver. I also have no lining in my stomach due to high acid eating away at my stomach. I was told that I had to loose weight. That is what would stabilize the liver. I am overweight and have been trying to loose weight for years and it is not that easy.

Published: June 25

Upper right quadrant pain, mild and elevated enzymes for over 6 months before they did a biopsy. Now, about 2 years later, liver enzymes are raised even more and pain is moderate and radiates to back. Going to the doctor again next month.

Published: June 25

Nauseated all the time, eating Phenergan tablets daily, mid back pain with severe pain in the right rib area. Dr. has said for the past 1 or 2 years that my side pain is muscle spasms. I can assure you it is not. A few years ago, I had pain in my mid back and side for and suffered for a year, my gp said nothing is wrong with you. After suffering every night from 2 -5 am with severe acute pain, and working a full time job, I just couldn't take it anymore. I drove myself to the er at 5:30am, the er doctor looked at me and said where are you hurting, he ask for an ultrasound on my gallbladder which showed over 3o gallstones and said they would have to remove my gallbladder right then. My point is, I am hurting in the exact same spots as when I was having gallbladder attacks. I had a Doppler Ultrasound last week. I called for results today, nurse said I had a fatty liver, it is very common, blah, blah, blah. She apparently has not suffered with gut wrenching pain for over a year while her doctor told her nothing is wrong. I know something is wrong with my liver or pancreas; I just can't get any help. If anyone has any situation like this or has any answers, please reply.

Comment from: maggie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Wow, I am a nurse and have been suffering with pain in the right side, feeling like something is pushing my ribs apart and the right side also protrudes out farther than the left. I finally got my Doc to listen, had an ultrasound and her medical asst called me and very rudely told me that I needed to lose weight. I said, no kidding. It is getting worse and I have heard that they really should do a biopsy to get an accurate diagnosis. I am just frustrated with how hard it is to get anyone to listen to you and do something to help. It is very painful. Has anyone else had the swelling or protrusion? If so, what do your doctor say?

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?