Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Jody, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Oh wow – other NASH people! Several doctors tested and retested my gallbladder, due to extreme pain. I had CT scans and ultrasounds. Finally, three more ultrasounds were done while training a new person. This time, it was rubbed all over my stomach instead of just on the gallbladder. Of course, I was sent to my doctor right away. Here's my question – I noticed many of you rarely drink, or don't drink at all, like myself. But my mother is an alcoholic. I was curious if there are any studies related to the chances of a fetus getting NASH from a drinking mother.

Comment from: tallblond, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was told by a doctor a month ago, while having a surgery, that my liver looked white and abnormal. I had all labs and a CT scan done, and it is all normal. I am thin, weight 130 pounds, am tall, have never been a drinker; I exercise, and eat OK. I have pain and fullness in my abdomen. The doctor says I may have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), but I do not have all the symptoms. I feel frustrated and am wondering if I should get a second opinion.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed because I had pain where the liver is. I couldn't seem to lose weight no matter what I did. My stomach kept bloating up, and it would be hard to breathe. The ultrasound showed diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver.

Comment from: Judith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I took a three week trip last June 2008. I thought maybe my posture wasn't good because I kept having a pain under the right rib cage. After about 10 weeks I went to my doctor, she sent me for an ultrasound and the diagnosis was fatty liver. The only advice was to watch what I ate and lose weight. I have lost 16 pounds but every so often I have very painful attacks.

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 78-year-old mom had an ultrasound to check out her gallbladder, and the results came back “fatty liver.” She has terrible eating habits and eats lots of fatty foods. She was feeling sick and nauseated after eating.

Comment from: Jeannie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My liver has swelled a lot and is very painful. I had an ultrasound and a CT scan that confirmed my liver is 23 cm. That was three months ago, it's bigger now. My liver function tests are normal. I'm waiting for a biopsy. It's very frustrating! I know something is wrong, and I'm still waiting for an answer. I'm a 48-year-old female and overweight.

Published: July 23

I was having heavy menstrual bleeding and clotting which led eventually to D & C's. When I was having an ultrasound for the above mentioned problem the technician noticed abnormalities in the liver. The doctor requested further scans and the fatty liver diagnosis was reached. Unfortunately, my primary care physician did not think this was any problem so it was dismissed. 18 years later, I was diagnosed with NASH and cirrhosis.

Published: July 14

Prior to having the ultra sound, I was experiencing attacks everyday and missed a lot of work as a result of it. I am experiencing a number of symptoms. Mine first started with severe pain in the upper chest where the ribs separate. I thought for sure it was gallbladder attacks as it penetrated through to the back. I experienced severe bloating and excessive stomach acids after the onset of this pain. I walked the floors for hours at night. First, these symptoms would occur after eating the evening meal, then changed to anytime. This went on for about 4 years. Now the pain is more localized to the upper right rib area where it feels as if there is not enough room in there for everything. Even if I get hungry, the onset of acids and bloating react the same as if I had eaten. I was diagnosed with fatty liver after an ultra sound. I am now experiencing abdominal cramping and going to the bathroom more often. That is a huge change for me. The doctor has also informed me that my good cholesterol levels have dropped 30%, while the bad cholesterol was good. (I take medication to control the bad cholesterol). He seemed very concerned about that. I had an ultra sound 3 years ago, but they found nothing. I had pain and discomfort for about a year before that.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?