Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Grinch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 52 year old female who is overweight, but not severely. I have had pain in my back shoulder blade area for years and was diagnosed with reflux disease. Within the last year I have had pain in my ribs below my chest, chest pain, fullness in my right rib and pain in my right back ribs. In May blood tests showed liver enzyme levels were high. I have had a liver ultrasound, gallbladder function test (HIDA scan), and a CT scan. In the past my gallbladder ultrasounds were normal, but the HIDA showed that my gallbladder was filled with slug and not working. I will be having my gallbladder removed in Dec and they will also be doing a liver biopsy as they believe I have NASH. I have been trying to lose weight, only occasionally have any alcoholic beverages and have been watching my carbs. So far I have lost about 10 lbs. and I am feeling somewhat better, but still have the fullness in the right rib area as if a tennis ball is in there.

Comment from: gloria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was hit by a car while bike riding and shortly after was told I had an enlarged liver. My stomach area had started to get enlarged and I had soreness, but being hit by a car I was sore all over and do not have a family doctor. I just go to clinics, and rarely see the same doctor, plus you can only have three questions, so to say the least my health care has been very neglected. I have been fatigued, bleeding under skin, least little bit of pinch from my watch on my arm and I have big bloody mark, almost white stool, constant full feeling difficulty getting full breath of air. Four years later I went to Toronto Clinic had complete checkup and was told I have heterogeneous increased attenuation primarily in the right lobe likely related to patchy fatty infiltration and the pancreas mildly echogenic secondary to fatty infiltration. I would really like to know if trauma can cause this to happen to a very fit, muscular, healthy active person. I was 145 pounds. I now am 186 pounds due to not being able to continue my regular activities. What causes this fatty infiltration?

Comment from: Calfornian Vegan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I had been suffering from a dull abdominal pain (upper right) for about 5 years. Went through all the procedures, CT, MRI, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy. Myriads of pharma - nothing got rid of the dull pain. Finally saw a new GP and he prescribed Nortriptyline a low grade pain killer at a very low dose. Within 3 days the pain was subsided and now it is gone altogether. This is just masking the symptoms but anytime you can relieve the pain it's ok with me! Finally, during my annual checkup, bloodwork came back all messed up. Diagnosed with Graves (hyperthyroid). Got that under control and next blood tests showed elevated liver panels. Diagnosed NASH. I don't drink, not obese ...not sure why I have this. Seeing GI specialist tomorrow to find out the extent of liver damage. My main point on writing this was that Nortriptyline really did help my abdominal pain.

Comment from: maurajd79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had pains on my right side for a while, then it got to where it was unbearable, especially after eating (would have to prop myself up on my elbow to have some relief), at times felt as bad as labor pains and would swell so much I could see it. I went to the doctor, thinking gallbladder and after poking and asking questions, stated I needed an ultrasound. Went and had it done and was informed I have NASH. I am 34 and overweight, so was informed to lose about 10 pounds a month, no fried foods, only baked or grilled, lots of veggies, fruits and whole grains. Since late April, have lost 25 pounds and changed my eating. Still working on exercise routine (hard working full time, mother of a 5 year old and house chores after work) but I am getting active when I can. Still have pains, and will have more testing in September to see if now my gallbladder is acting up. Overall, happy with the lifestyle changes and it is helping my family as a whole be healthier. Disappointed in myself that I got this way by eating bad foods, but just lucky they caught it early enough where it can possibly heal.

Comment from: Jody, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Oh wow – other NASH people! Several doctors tested and retested my gallbladder, due to extreme pain. I had CT scans and ultrasounds. Finally, three more ultrasounds were done while training a new person. This time, it was rubbed all over my stomach instead of just on the gallbladder. Of course, I was sent to my doctor right away. Here's my question – I noticed many of you rarely drink, or don't drink at all, like myself. But my mother is an alcoholic. I was curious if there are any studies related to the chances of a fetus getting NASH from a drinking mother.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?