Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: gloria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was hit by a car while bike riding and shortly after was told I had an enlarged liver. My stomach area had started to get enlarged and I had soreness, but being hit by a car I was sore all over and do not have a family doctor. I just go to clinics, and rarely see the same doctor, plus you can only have three questions, so to say the least my health care has been very neglected. I have been fatigued, bleeding under skin, least little bit of pinch from my watch on my arm and I have big bloody mark, almost white stool, constant full feeling difficulty getting full breath of air. Four years later I went to Toronto Clinic had complete checkup and was told I have heterogeneous increased attenuation primarily in the right lobe likely related to patchy fatty infiltration and the pancreas mildly echogenic secondary to fatty infiltration. I would really like to know if trauma can cause this to happen to a very fit, muscular, healthy active person. I was 145 pounds. I now am 186 pounds due to not being able to continue my regular activities. What causes this fatty infiltration?

Comment from: maurajd79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had pains on my right side for a while, then it got to where it was unbearable, especially after eating (would have to prop myself up on my elbow to have some relief), at times felt as bad as labor pains and would swell so much I could see it. I went to the doctor, thinking gallbladder and after poking and asking questions, stated I needed an ultrasound. Went and had it done and was informed I have NASH. I am 34 and overweight, so was informed to lose about 10 pounds a month, no fried foods, only baked or grilled, lots of veggies, fruits and whole grains. Since late April, have lost 25 pounds and changed my eating. Still working on exercise routine (hard working full time, mother of a 5 year old and house chores after work) but I am getting active when I can. Still have pains, and will have more testing in September to see if now my gallbladder is acting up. Overall, happy with the lifestyle changes and it is helping my family as a whole be healthier. Disappointed in myself that I got this way by eating bad foods, but just lucky they caught it early enough where it can possibly heal.

Comment from: Jody, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Oh wow – other NASH people! Several doctors tested and retested my gallbladder, due to extreme pain. I had CT scans and ultrasounds. Finally, three more ultrasounds were done while training a new person. This time, it was rubbed all over my stomach instead of just on the gallbladder. Of course, I was sent to my doctor right away. Here's my question – I noticed many of you rarely drink, or don't drink at all, like myself. But my mother is an alcoholic. I was curious if there are any studies related to the chances of a fetus getting NASH from a drinking mother.

Comment from: tallblond, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was told by a doctor a month ago, while having a surgery, that my liver looked white and abnormal. I had all labs and a CT scan done, and it is all normal. I am thin, weight 130 pounds, am tall, have never been a drinker; I exercise, and eat OK. I have pain and fullness in my abdomen. The doctor says I may have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), but I do not have all the symptoms. I feel frustrated and am wondering if I should get a second opinion.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed because I had pain where the liver is. I couldn't seem to lose weight no matter what I did. My stomach kept bloating up, and it would be hard to breathe. The ultrasound showed diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver.

Comment from: Judith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I took a three week trip last June 2008. I thought maybe my posture wasn't good because I kept having a pain under the right rib cage. After about 10 weeks I went to my doctor, she sent me for an ultrasound and the diagnosis was fatty liver. The only advice was to watch what I ate and lose weight. I have lost 16 pounds but every so often I have very painful attacks.

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 78-year-old mom had an ultrasound to check out her gallbladder, and the results came back “fatty liver.” She has terrible eating habits and eats lots of fatty foods. She was feeling sick and nauseated after eating.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?