Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Calfornian Vegan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I had been suffering from a dull abdominal pain (upper right) for about 5 years. Went through all the procedures, CT, MRI, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy. Myriads of pharma - nothing got rid of the dull pain. Finally saw a new GP and he prescribed Nortriptyline a low grade pain killer at a very low dose. Within 3 days the pain was subsided and now it is gone altogether. This is just masking the symptoms but anytime you can relieve the pain it's ok with me! Finally, during my annual checkup, bloodwork came back all messed up. Diagnosed with Graves (hyperthyroid). Got that under control and next blood tests showed elevated liver panels. Diagnosed NASH. I don't drink, not obese ...not sure why I have this. Seeing GI specialist tomorrow to find out the extent of liver damage. My main point on writing this was that Nortriptyline really did help my abdominal pain.

Comment from: Nancy Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My fatty liver was found when I was having a chest CT scan. I had/have no liver pain. I am not a big drinker. I am also not overweight. I was sent to a specialist who did a liver biopsy and the results were fatty liver. My liver levels were normal in February of 2008, and in December of 2008, they were elevated. My Alt is 128 and AST is 69.

Comment from: Wisconsin Dad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I just learned of my tentative diagnosis of fatty liver. I'm 40, male, drink almost no alcohol (10 to 20 drinks per year), with a BMI of about 26 (not thin but not extremely overweight), and I am on no medications of any kind. I eat healthy, though a bit too much. I had an unrelated issue which was prompting me to visit the doctor more frequently, and part of those visits included a liver function test. Other than the albumin levels, which were at the top of the normal range (4.7), every other measure was smack dab in the middle of the normal range. But like others here I was having strange sensations in my upper right quadrant (just above/inside my lowest rib, down to a few inches below that rib, from 2" right of my sternum to about 7" from my sternum, along the rib line) - I was hesitant to even call it pain, more like little pinches every now and again when I moved, or sometimes a soreness, usually after eating. Also had/have some acid stomach issues after eating larger meals, and am experiencing a loss of appetite, accompanying weight loss and some nausea. I also felt that fullness others are describing - I found myself wiggling my torso left and right to see if it was just in my head or if something really did feel odd. Went in this morning for my ultrasound (thank God for speedy results!), and got the call a few hours later, that it appeared to be fatty deposits on my liver. We're scheduling a CT scan as a follow-up to confirm the diagnosis, and from there will discuss future plans for diet, exercise, medication. Hope that info can help someone.

Comment from: cord12, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had no symptoms that I was aware of until some routine blood tests came back with elevated liver enzymes. I was sent to a specialist who did more blood work and a sonogram. The blood work revealed that I also had increased iron levels. The sonogram showed nothing abnormal. He recommended a liver biopsy because of the high iron levels. The biopsy confirmed fatty liver but no stored deposits of iron in the liver. It has been recommended that I lose 10% of my body weight over the next year and return for blood work every six months.

Comment from: Grinch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 52 year old female who is overweight, but not severely. I have had pain in my back shoulder blade area for years and was diagnosed with reflux disease. Within the last year I have had pain in my ribs below my chest, chest pain, fullness in my right rib and pain in my right back ribs. In May blood tests showed liver enzyme levels were high. I have had a liver ultrasound, gallbladder function test (HIDA scan), and a CT scan. In the past my gallbladder ultrasounds were normal, but the HIDA showed that my gallbladder was filled with slug and not working. I will be having my gallbladder removed in Dec and they will also be doing a liver biopsy as they believe I have NASH. I have been trying to lose weight, only occasionally have any alcoholic beverages and have been watching my carbs. So far I have lost about 10 lbs. and I am feeling somewhat better, but still have the fullness in the right rib area as if a tennis ball is in there.

Comment from: gloria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was hit by a car while bike riding and shortly after was told I had an enlarged liver. My stomach area had started to get enlarged and I had soreness, but being hit by a car I was sore all over and do not have a family doctor. I just go to clinics, and rarely see the same doctor, plus you can only have three questions, so to say the least my health care has been very neglected. I have been fatigued, bleeding under skin, least little bit of pinch from my watch on my arm and I have big bloody mark, almost white stool, constant full feeling difficulty getting full breath of air. Four years later I went to Toronto Clinic had complete checkup and was told I have heterogeneous increased attenuation primarily in the right lobe likely related to patchy fatty infiltration and the pancreas mildly echogenic secondary to fatty infiltration. I would really like to know if trauma can cause this to happen to a very fit, muscular, healthy active person. I was 145 pounds. I now am 186 pounds due to not being able to continue my regular activities. What causes this fatty infiltration?

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?