Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: minikuroneko, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My symptoms of fatty liver have mostly included upper right abdominal pain, fatigue and steatorrhea (presence of excess fat in feces). I am a 27 year-old female, and was diagnosed at 24 through an ultrasound done to investigate the source of the persistent upper abdominal pain. I have never been overweight. I do not drink or smoke. I do not have diabetes, high blood pressure or hyperlipidemia. My liver enzymes have thankfully never been altered in any blood test, but the symptoms persist, and both ultrasound and contrast CAT scan are consistent with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), with a high degree of fat build-up. Doctors are split between two possible causes for my NAFLD, continued use of oral birth control or polycystic ovary syndrome. If you are a female NAFLD patient, please bear these two possible causes in mind. As a Veterinary Medicine Master's degree student I can attest that, medically, these are sound and probable causes for NAFLD, and are, unfortunately, underplayed and underrepresented online and otherwise.

Comment from: BNM52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I wonder if treatment for breast cancer can cause fatty liver. I had large amounts of steroids to prevent allergic reaction. My eyes were yellow and I had a rash that itched and looked like poison ivy. At one point my toenails and fingernails turned yellow, were thick and raised up. I lost some toenails. They cancelled my treatment for those 2 weeks. I told my doctor that I thought I needed to do a liver cleanse because I was toxic. They told me I had a fatty liver.

Comment from: alcapone, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 11

I have hemochromatosis an iron overload disease along with a fatty liver. I am taking vitamin E, milk thistle and dandelion, and totally avoiding high fructose corn syrup. And McDonalds.

Comment from: Lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was diagnosed with fatty liver but not given much information. They don't know if it is NAFLD (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease) or NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). To lose weight I take vitamin E and Motrin. I also have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). It was accidentally found through CT scan. My stomach swells when I eat very little. Don't know if this is the liver or stomach causing this.

Comment from: Sugarmagnolia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have had fatty liver and now have a little fluid buildup in my abdomen. I went to the doctor and he felt around under my rib cage and said there was a large mass there and it was not my liver. Because it feels like it is floating and can be moved slightly by his hand. I have been feeling this for about 2 years and always thought it was my liver.

Comment from: shelley2655, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease on Friday. I was quite shocked and the doctor's physician assistant didn"t explain much about it, just that my enzymes were elevated and to eat a fat free diet. I was also told this could turn into cirrhosis of the liver, pretty scary. I have pain in the right side just under my ribcage and it radiates around to my back. I did find that laying on my right side helps relieve the pain. I did some research and I had every symptom. GERD, change in bowel habits, flaky patches on my skin, tiredness, no energy, etc.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?