Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I suffer from excessive fatigue because of fatty liver.

Comment from: Blueiris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have just been diagnosed with fatty liver, nonalcoholic. For the past several years I have been living in chronic constant pain on the entire right side of my body. I have a lesion on my skull, I don't know what it is, scarring on my lungs, acid reflux, sliding hernia, vitamin D depletion, and sleep apnea. I've had two surgeries, one for my gallbladder and later wound up having a hysterectomy. I was a mess inside with terrible backaches, my bowels had been pushed into my back causing severe back pains, my bladder and bowels were glued to my uterus. My right sinus is always blocked and I have a horrible taste and smell, I have high blood pressure, and am a border diabetic. With so many chronic health issues going on especially the fatty liver causing so much pain, doctors could care less and would rather tell me to lose weight. I had to give up all physical activity because of the severity of pain I'm in. I don't know what else to do, I watch my diet and try to exercise as much as possible. I've seen 40 doctors to try and get the appropriate help, doctors don't care unless you have a sliver in your finger. I don't know what more to do, I'm exhausted.

Comment from: eileen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have BMI (body mass index) of18.5 but had total gastrectomy 5 years ago. My fatty liver was diagnosed incidentally when I felt very weak following antibiotic treatment for tuberculosis. I have no diabetes and have a generally low meat consumption.

Comment from: dazzer991, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I have enlarged liver with fatty content and I been having pain in my right and I am type one diabetic.

Comment from: RAYANNE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

It's been a year now, the upper right side of my tummy is bulging out, feels like if you poked me with something sharp I would pop. But then finally I was relieved of the pressure and pain. I was also diagnosed with a fatty liver only by ultra sound and elevated liver enzymes on blood test. I don't want to get the liver biopsy if there's no point, which it sounds like. Same advice they are going to give me; to lose weight. I'm trying but it's hard. I feel bad. I think my husband just thinks I'm crazy but I'm in pain all the time and when I hold our 1 year old son, after about 5 minutes. It is just awful. I am so glad I found this site and everyone is having exactly the same symptoms as me! I feel like crying everyday I'm so tired of dealing with the constant pain, it's so old I feel I cannot enjoy life anymore.

Comment from: Confused, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

I felt a pain under my right ribcage, only if touched. Ultra sound of the area showed nonalcoholic fatty liver. I've been given no instructions at all. It's like I have got it and there's no way to correct. I am 25 pounds overweight, under a lot of stress as caregiver for my disabled husband for past 16 years.

Comment from: BillB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a 20 year survivor of NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). I first noticed pain on my right side mostly while driving. Eventually my liver protruded downward past my belly button. The pain, from what I understand, is from my intestines hitting the sack that holds my liver. I can only sleep on my left side or else pain will start. It's been a tough and frightful ride but now I understand a new drug is on trial, called Intercept. I hope it's not too late for me.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?