Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: dazzer991, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I have enlarged liver with fatty content and I been having pain in my right and I am type one diabetic.

Comment from: RAYANNE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

It's been a year now, the upper right side of my tummy is bulging out, feels like if you poked me with something sharp I would pop. But then finally I was relieved of the pressure and pain. I was also diagnosed with a fatty liver only by ultra sound and elevated liver enzymes on blood test. I don't want to get the liver biopsy if there's no point, which it sounds like. Same advice they are going to give me; to lose weight. I'm trying but it's hard. I feel bad. I think my husband just thinks I'm crazy but I'm in pain all the time and when I hold our 1 year old son, after about 5 minutes. It is just awful. I am so glad I found this site and everyone is having exactly the same symptoms as me! I feel like crying everyday I'm so tired of dealing with the constant pain, it's so old I feel I cannot enjoy life anymore.

Comment from: Confused, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

I felt a pain under my right ribcage, only if touched. Ultra sound of the area showed nonalcoholic fatty liver. I've been given no instructions at all. It's like I have got it and there's no way to correct. I am 25 pounds overweight, under a lot of stress as caregiver for my disabled husband for past 16 years.

Comment from: BillB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a 20 year survivor of NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). I first noticed pain on my right side mostly while driving. Eventually my liver protruded downward past my belly button. The pain, from what I understand, is from my intestines hitting the sack that holds my liver. I can only sleep on my left side or else pain will start. It's been a tough and frightful ride but now I understand a new drug is on trial, called Intercept. I hope it's not too late for me.

Comment from: Sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been having pain in my right side for years now. My appendix ruptured and was removed. My gallbladder wasn't working, so that too was removed. Since I continued to have pain, I went back to my doctor and after an ultrasound, was told that I have an enlarged or fatty liver. I am not extremely obese, but I am a little on the heavy side, so I was told to come down and to cut down on my fat intake. No one bothered to ask me about my diet. I rarely eat any fried foods whatsoever; I pretty much bake everything I eat (poultry and only certain types of fish) unless I am eating fruits and veggies. I am upset because I do not really know what else to do and I am still in pain. I have quit working because the pain is unbearable at times. My job was good to me and continued to pay my insurance for three months, but soon I will no longer have insurance.

Comment from: Nancy Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My fatty liver was found when I was having a chest CT scan. I had/have no liver pain. I am not a big drinker. I am also not overweight. I was sent to a specialist who did a liver biopsy and the results were fatty liver. My liver levels were normal in February of 2008, and in December of 2008, they were elevated. My Alt is 128 and AST is 69.

Comment from: Wisconsin Dad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I just learned of my tentative diagnosis of fatty liver. I'm 40, male, drink almost no alcohol (10 to 20 drinks per year), with a BMI of about 26 (not thin but not extremely overweight), and I am on no medications of any kind. I eat healthy, though a bit too much. I had an unrelated issue which was prompting me to visit the doctor more frequently, and part of those visits included a liver function test. Other than the albumin levels, which were at the top of the normal range (4.7), every other measure was smack dab in the middle of the normal range. But like others here I was having strange sensations in my upper right quadrant (just above/inside my lowest rib, down to a few inches below that rib, from 2" right of my sternum to about 7" from my sternum, along the rib line) - I was hesitant to even call it pain, more like little pinches every now and again when I moved, or sometimes a soreness, usually after eating. Also had/have some acid stomach issues after eating larger meals, and am experiencing a loss of appetite, accompanying weight loss and some nausea. I also felt that fullness others are describing - I found myself wiggling my torso left and right to see if it was just in my head or if something really did feel odd. Went in this morning for my ultrasound (thank God for speedy results!), and got the call a few hours later, that it appeared to be fatty deposits on my liver. We're scheduling a CT scan as a follow-up to confirm the diagnosis, and from there will discuss future plans for diet, exercise, medication. Hope that info can help someone.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?