Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: shelley2655, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease on Friday. I was quite shocked and the doctor's physician assistant didn"t explain much about it, just that my enzymes were elevated and to eat a fat free diet. I was also told this could turn into cirrhosis of the liver, pretty scary. I have pain in the right side just under my ribcage and it radiates around to my back. I did find that laying on my right side helps relieve the pain. I did some research and I had every symptom. GERD, change in bowel habits, flaky patches on my skin, tiredness, no energy, etc.

Comment from: Sugarmagnolia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have had fatty liver and now have a little fluid buildup in my abdomen. I went to the doctor and he felt around under my rib cage and said there was a large mass there and it was not my liver. Because it feels like it is floating and can be moved slightly by his hand. I have been feeling this for about 2 years and always thought it was my liver.

Comment from: Me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I suffer from excessive fatigue because of fatty liver.

Comment from: Blueiris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have just been diagnosed with fatty liver, nonalcoholic. For the past several years I have been living in chronic constant pain on the entire right side of my body. I have a lesion on my skull, I don't know what it is, scarring on my lungs, acid reflux, sliding hernia, vitamin D depletion, and sleep apnea. I've had two surgeries, one for my gallbladder and later wound up having a hysterectomy. I was a mess inside with terrible backaches, my bowels had been pushed into my back causing severe back pains, my bladder and bowels were glued to my uterus. My right sinus is always blocked and I have a horrible taste and smell, I have high blood pressure, and am a border diabetic. With so many chronic health issues going on especially the fatty liver causing so much pain, doctors could care less and would rather tell me to lose weight. I had to give up all physical activity because of the severity of pain I'm in. I don't know what else to do, I watch my diet and try to exercise as much as possible. I've seen 40 doctors to try and get the appropriate help, doctors don't care unless you have a sliver in your finger. I don't know what more to do, I'm exhausted.

Comment from: eileen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have BMI (body mass index) of18.5 but had total gastrectomy 5 years ago. My fatty liver was diagnosed incidentally when I felt very weak following antibiotic treatment for tuberculosis. I have no diabetes and have a generally low meat consumption.

Comment from: hope this helps, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I'm a 53-year-old white male. I have been diagnosed with NASH. I had always had blood work and a full physical performed on my 40th and then 50th birthdays. On my 40th, my liver enzymes where slightly abnormal, but I was told not to worry. On my 50th, the test showed high iron in the blood, and I began to worry. I also had a very dark urine stream. I was also having chest pains, which prompted more tests for the heart. These proved negative, which led them to do a CAT scan of the lungs. That also proved negative, but it showed a fatty liver. A liver biopsy showed cirrhosis, and the final diagnosis was NASH. I had a gene test that showed a bad gene. I have had the iron reduced through phlebotomy. I have also had pain in my knee joints, which is relieved by glucosamine. I have never been a drinker.

Comment from: dazzer991, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I have enlarged liver with fatty content and I been having pain in my right and I am type one diabetic.

Fatty Liver - Causes Question: What caused your fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since being diagnosed with a fatty liver?
Fatty Liver - Treatment and Medications Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you been given for your fatty liver?