Patient Comments: Fatigue - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your fatigue? Please share your experience.

A Doctor's View on Why Am I So Tired? The Many Causes of Fatigue

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Fatigue is a common complaint by many people. Busy lifestyles, children, work, and the day to day stresses can cause a person to become consistently tired. Other things that may cause fatigue is pregnancy, sleep problems, medication, mental health issues, and diseases such as diabetes, thyroid disorders, the flu, mono, COPD, heart failure, and asthma. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Elli, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Glandular Fever was the cause of my fatigue – I went to the doctor with loss of appetite, extreme fatigue and headaches.

Comment from: Heather, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I went to my doctor for unexplained weight gain and she did blood and urine tests. It turns out that my level of creatinine (from my kidneys should be .9 at highest) was 2.9 and I had low blood sugar. I am still going through tests but my blood pressure was very high as well as my triglycerides. I was put on two blood pressure medicines. I'm sleeping 16-20 hours a day.

Comment from: stef, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

After years of feeling tired, I was diagnosed with a congenital metabolic disorder called glycogen storage disease. My body can't process energy from carbs properly, and this is the reason why I am feeling tired all the time. For years, doctors told me it was just stress!

Comment from: maadm, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I had anemia from low hemoglobin, caused by slow blood loss in my intestinal tract. I was told that this is the result of using Plavix following vascular surgery.

Fatigue - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fatigue.
Fatigue - Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with your fatigue?
Fatigue - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the diagnosis process in finding a cause for your fatigue. What was the doctor's diagnosis?
Fatigue - Treatment Question: Depending on your diagnosis, what was the treatment for your fatigue?
Fatigue - Prevention Question: If possible, how do you try to prevent fatigue?