Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your fainting?

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 23

I had a barium swallow and that night stomach pain on the right side. Two days later the pain is so severe with constipation. They should tell you what could happen and give you follow up on what to do. There is still barium in my stool. The pain is like pancreatitis. Hopefully it will go away in the morning. Of course tomorrow it is Sunday and no doctor appointments will be available. So emergency room is my only alternative.

Comment from: Coloeado, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 23

I fainted four different times. I saw a doctor and shared that I took 5000 units of vitamin D. I took myself off it and no more fainting. He shared the same thing had happened to him!

Comment from: DMW, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

Water has been effective. My first fainting episode happened while urinating and landed me on a concrete floor exploding a vessel that was repaired. Second time was the same thing; urinating. Both were from dehydration. So I use water in between coffee and unsweet tea for drinks. First episode I drank beer only. I'll stick to the water intake method unless it happens again.

Comment from: PanicG1rl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have been experiencing fainting spells for about 3 years now. I have panic disorder, uterine fibroids and ulcers. The last time I passed out, I also had a seizure. I feel like I am getting worse. I can tell the doctor doesn't know what to do with me. I am in the middle of testing now, EKG blood work, and the like. Sometimes I wonder if it's all in my head.

Comment from: Melly26, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I was home at night and I was standing watching TV (in a normal lit room). Then, I got dizzy for some apparent reason. I tried to turn around and walk to the kitchen to get some water, but before I can even start walking, my vision got fuzzy and I blacked out. Next thing I know, I'm on the floor excruciating pain on my neck and arm. It turns out when I fell, I hit my neck on my glass table. My dad did some research and found out that most likely I fainted because of stress, too much caffeine, or lack of potassium.

Comment from: coolio9008, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was shopping in a store whenever I felt nauseated and hot. I went outside to cool off and get fresh air thinking I was only going to throw up. I got outside and everything turned blurry, I couldn't hear. The next thing I knew, I was laying out in the middle of the parking lot where I had fainted. I thought, "You have to move. A car could hit you." I crawled back to the curb and then fainted again. When I came to, they had called an ambulance and I was going to the hospital. They thought I had injured my back and neck but hadn't. They ran multiple blood tests, an EKG, and other tests but couldn't find a cause of my fainting. It is scary and I am afraid it is going to happen again.

Comment from: lookelou, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 26

My husband is 64. He is fainting frequently and is now getting hurt when he falls. It is generally when he stands and takes 4 to 5 steps although it happened in Wal-Mart when he was in the middle of shopping. He's had a tilt table, EKG, ECCO, Cortoriod Artery ultra sound, worn a heart monitor for 24 hours, CAT scan of his brain, had his blood pressure meds reduced and asked to eat salt. But nothing is found. He is diabetic and is trying to lose weight. He's 265 after losing 35 lbs. over several months (1 to 2 lbs. week) by cutting back. He has PTSD and has had ECT's monthly for a year and several times prior to that in two week sets. His memory is terrible. He is concerned he can't remember anything after a few minutes. We are concerned. Docs can't figure it out.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?