Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your fainting?

Comment from: PanicG1rl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have been experiencing fainting spells for about 3 years now. I have panic disorder, uterine fibroids and ulcers. The last time I passed out, I also had a seizure. I feel like I am getting worse. I can tell the doctor doesn't know what to do with me. I am in the middle of testing now, EKG blood work, and the like. Sometimes I wonder if it's all in my head.

Comment from: Melly26, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I was home at night and I was standing watching TV (in a normal lit room). Then, I got dizzy for some apparent reason. I tried to turn around and walk to the kitchen to get some water, but before I can even start walking, my vision got fuzzy and I blacked out. Next thing I know, I'm on the floor excruciating pain on my neck and arm. It turns out when I fell, I hit my neck on my glass table. My dad did some research and found out that most likely I fainted because of stress, too much caffeine, or lack of potassium.

Comment from: JoJo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was driving home on Sunday afternoon from Virginia. My husband and I were on the highway with 4 lanes of traffic. I had only been driving about an hour, when I began to feel fuzzy. My head didn't feel right, it was difficult to focus on the road. I thought it was due to sun glare causing me to strain my eyes. I had to force myself to try to focus and I kept feeling like I was going to lose it. All of a sudden my husband was yelling and I found myself in the next lane and about to go into a 3rd lane where there was a car. His voice snapped me out of it, but I have no recollection of ever changing lanes. He said he was screaming at me, but I only heard a muffled version of his voice talking to me. It was frightening. If he hadn't been there, I may not be writing this right now. I still don't know what caused it.

Comment from: jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I have been experiencing syncope symptoms for two and a half years. I have had countless investigations from bp monitors, mri's, a week in hospital being videoed with neuro leads. Recently I was fitted with a heart loop which picked up that my heart had been stopping during the blackout, which resulted in emergency treatment to fit a pace maker. This surgery went wrong the wires caused damage to my heart. I still have blackouts and am awaiting further tests. I am finding the whole experience increasingly distressing and can see no light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: lookelou, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 26

My husband is 64. He is fainting frequently and is now getting hurt when he falls. It is generally when he stands and takes 4 to 5 steps although it happened in Wal-Mart when he was in the middle of shopping. He's had a tilt table, EKG, ECCO, Cortoriod Artery ultra sound, worn a heart monitor for 24 hours, CAT scan of his brain, had his blood pressure meds reduced and asked to eat salt. But nothing is found. He is diabetic and is trying to lose weight. He's 265 after losing 35 lbs. over several months (1 to 2 lbs. week) by cutting back. He has PTSD and has had ECT's monthly for a year and several times prior to that in two week sets. His memory is terrible. He is concerned he can't remember anything after a few minutes. We are concerned. Docs can't figure it out.

Comment from: coolio9008, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was shopping in a store whenever I felt nauseated and hot. I went outside to cool off and get fresh air thinking I was only going to throw up. I got outside and everything turned blurry, I couldn't hear. The next thing I knew, I was laying out in the middle of the parking lot where I had fainted. I thought, "You have to move. A car could hit you." I crawled back to the curb and then fainted again. When I came to, they had called an ambulance and I was going to the hospital. They thought I had injured my back and neck but hadn't. They ran multiple blood tests, an EKG, and other tests but couldn't find a cause of my fainting. It is scary and I am afraid it is going to happen again.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?